PDA

View Full Version : Pair or not a pair

Dcombs
01-16-2020, 10:48 PM
I have a pair of discus apox 11 months old. They were chasing all the other fish to the other end of the tank. I noticed one of them going through motions as if she was laying eggs. So I thought I had a pair. After moving them to there own tank the same one laid eggs and the other one ate them. So tonight is saw the one I thought was a male cleaning The same spot where the eggs were laid before and is going through the same motions of laying eggs but I see no eggs. So do I have a pair or 2 females.

Sturiosoma
01-17-2020, 07:30 AM
Do you have any side view pics ,and while you're discus are young it's not uncommon for them to attempt a spawn, evidentialay your discus are properly cared for and conditioned ,I have had angels spawn at 8 months ,so maybe some pics to see if you have a true pair but in the meantime practice makes perfect

Jeanne

LizStreithorst
01-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Did you notice what the breeding tubes looked like? A female's is blunt. A male's is pointy. My guess is that you do have a male and female. Males are especially stupid the first few times.

Dcombs
01-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Do you have any side view pics ,and while you're discus are young it's not uncommon for them to attempt a spawn, evidentialay your discus are properly cared for and conditioned ,I have had angels spawn at 8 months ,so maybe some pics to see if you have a true pair but in the meantime practice makes perfect

Jeanne

Can not figure out to post pics

Dcombs
01-17-2020, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the information I will try to notice breeding tube.

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Can not figure out to post pics

Be sure the pictures are 2MBs or less. Emailing the pictures to yourself can help with downsizing them.
Pat

Willie
01-18-2020, 06:16 PM
You won't know that they're a pair until there's wrigglers.

Willie