PDA

View Full Version : Who is the biggest pooper?

Oxboy
01-27-2020, 09:25 PM
I have a 55 gal with:

six 4-5" discus
one 3" BN pleco
twelve cardinal tetras
two serbai corys

Everybody is healthy and happy. I do a couple of 40-50% WCs a week. I have a thin sand bottom. I feed on the light side -- once in the morning and once at night. I have almost no algae so I give the pleco a sinking wafer every night.

Here is the thing: I could vacuum that thing spotless and in 12 hours, it looks like a cesspool on the bottom. The attached pic does not do it justice. I notice that the discus poop out a plug about 1/4" in diameter. The poop gathering on the bottom looks finer than that.

So I'm wondering - in your experience, do the tetras poop a ton? I know plecos can poop a lot so is this mostly the BN and/or corys? Is it everybody contributing?

Do those of you with discus-only tanks and moderate feeding schedules find that discus alone are excessive poopers?

Curious about your thoughts.

BrendanJ23
01-28-2020, 06:36 AM
The BN are the pooing machines. That’s why I got rid of them from my tank, I grew tired of the masses of poo. There is enough just from the discus!

bluelagoon
01-28-2020, 09:25 AM
I only have poop like that in tanks with the "pooping machines". The other tanks are much cleaner. One can make a lot of poop.

gunnerschh2
01-28-2020, 02:57 PM
It could be some left over wafer in that mess also. Try a half wafer & see if that makes a difference also the pleco will eat other left over food.

Willie
01-28-2020, 03:17 PM
To placate my wife, I painted all the sides - except the front - of my barebottom tanks a light blue. Man, does that make the poop really "pop"! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Willie

Disgirl
01-28-2020, 05:18 PM
I see wood in your pic. I find that all plecos eat wood as part of their diet. I bet what you are seeing on the sand is a whole lot of wood he ate and pooped out. Had that happen with one of my plecos, the wood got smaller and smaller as he ate it away.

ccc
02-02-2020, 05:42 PM
Herbivores poop more!

RogueDiscus
02-02-2020, 05:43 PM
And that goes for fish too :) More fiber!

pastry
02-02-2020, 11:54 PM
My vote for best title of the month!

peewee1
02-03-2020, 03:14 AM
Herbivores poop more!

The elephant would be king in that regard. Or Hump Back Whale, an endangered species, who don' t give a hump where they take a dump because the ocean dissolves their feces.