PDA

View Full Version : Oh No No No they didn't.... But yes they did...

TankedInPHX
02-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Yesterday, low and behold my discuss laid some eggs on the heater. :eek: I was not planning on this, but hey mother nature took its course and that's what happens when the lights are off.. In all honesty, I am not equipped/prepared for this.

The tank is a 65 gallon, with only 3 discuss. i had seven but some died over the course of the past year and half. I was planning on adding more from Discus Hans, but now I have this quandary. The two mates are Checkboard and Brillant Turqoise. Both are probably around 5-6". The third is slightly stunted at around 4"

A few questions:
1. What happens if I do nothing. Mother nature and the circle of life will take affect right?
2. Should 1 or 2 survive, is there a way to keep them alive in the same tank as I do not have a spare.
3. What do you feed them?

Any advice is much appreciated. thanks in advance

Keeping my kids alive is much easier..

RogueDiscus
02-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Short answers
1. Yes
2. Not likely unless you put in a divider, since the others will eat them
3. Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp (BBS) until they start taking parent's food
And fry generally mean more water changes. Unless you're set up with an extra tank and prepared for the extra work to raise them I'd just enjoy them while they last.

coralbandit
02-04-2020, 02:34 PM
Laid on a heater I suspect they are 'soft boiled ' by now unless you added another and unplugged the one with eggs …
Angels and my previous pair of Blue Snakeskins used to use the heater without fail ..
I left the one they preferred un plugged and added another so the next batch had a chance ..