PDA

View Full Version : Breeding in a large tank

Justanotherfishkeeper
02-27-2020, 07:34 PM
Hi,

I’ve got my first pair of discus coming next week.

I’ve got a cycled 4ft I was going to put them in while I try to find a smaller breeding tank.

If I put a breeding cone in the 4ft tank what are the chances they will spawn in there?

RogueDiscus
02-27-2020, 08:02 PM
If the conditions are right and they're ready, they'll stake out a spot and spawn. Mine are in 4 ft 75's, and I used to use the 4 ft 55's. If I get a successful spawn I can put in an egg crate divider to isolate the spawning group from others. I also have foam dividers if the fry make it to free swimming.

Justanotherfishkeeper
02-27-2020, 08:23 PM
That’s good to hear! I don’t have to rush out to buy another tank now 😊

peewee1
02-29-2020, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I’ve got my first pair of discus coming next week.

I’ve got a cycled 4ft I was going to put them in while I try to find a smaller breeding tank.

If I put a breeding cone in the 4ft tank what are the chances they will spawn in there?

Keep in mind that wild version of our Discus breed every day in the Amazon river. How could the size of a fish tank matter at all?

Justanotherfishkeeper
02-29-2020, 03:27 PM
makes sense. What’s the reason most people use smaller tanks? Just for easier water changes and to save space etc?

peewee1
02-29-2020, 09:23 PM
makes sense. What’s the reason most people use smaller tanks? Just for easier water changes and to save space etc?

I think so. A pair, as you well know, can spawn and raise young in as small as 20 gallon. Ease of maintenance and lower costs would be most of the reason. I have not set up to breed again but when I was breeding them I had 6 20 gallon tanks which took up very little space. I wonder if too they pair feels more secure living in the smaller tank?

LizStreithorst
02-29-2020, 09:44 PM
Keep in mind that wild version of our Discus breed every day in the Amazon river. How could the size of a fish tank matter at all?

Keep in mind that we want a higher success rate than there is in the wild. I've had success in a 60 wide, I've had success in a 38 cube (my favorite) and in a 29. I don't like to put a breeding pair in a tank smaller than I 29. Some people use 20's but IMO they are too small.

Do as Steve suggested and use the divider if the pair gets the eggs to wiggler stage the Poret foam divider. They are cheaper than a brand new tank and all that goes with it.

peewee1
02-29-2020, 11:24 PM
Keep in mind that we want a higher success rate than there is in the wild. I've had success in a 60 wide, I've had success in a 38 cube (my favorite) and in a 29. I don't like to put a breeding pair in a tank smaller than I 29. Some people use 20's but IMO they are too small.

Do as Steve suggested and use the divider if the pair gets the eggs to wiggler stage the Poret foam divider. They are cheaper than a brand new tank and all that goes with it.

There was another post that you had made about the 29. I am going with that size after reading your recommendation.