PDA

View Full Version : Cull?

timotel
03-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Don't know if I should cull it.

Discus 1

bluelagoon
03-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Some folks leave the stunted or runt in their tank. Rational being so another discus won't take the lowest in rank and become stunted or chased like the one you removed.

L200GreenPhantom
03-09-2020, 08:36 AM
How many others do you have in the tank?

seanyuki
03-09-2020, 09:34 AM
Keep the cull discus and use it as a test fish When introducing new stock, take one of your least favorite existing stock(this might sound mean but there's no other way to accomplish this without adding at least one "old" fish to your new additions), and add it to the QT tank...observe for the next 2 weeks...if there is no issues that develops in the QT, then you may try to mix the groups of fish.

LizStreithorst
03-09-2020, 09:36 AM
If you can't stand looking at the fish you have little choice. Otherwise keep it for the reasons others have mentioned.

coralbandit
03-09-2020, 11:57 AM
I kept my culls ..I know they can NEVER be sold .
You never know when you may need to test a treatment or the like .
I also agree besides just different growth rates , bullies and runts get replaced quickly if you remove them ..
One fish will always be the boss and one always has to be at the bottom of the ladder ..That is hierarchy and how it works ..

CliffsDiscus
03-09-2020, 04:41 PM
I give away culls and normal Discus to beginner Discus keepers just to get the experience. I may only keep 10% for selective breeding program.

Cliff

4eye gold fish
03-09-2020, 07:28 PM
I give away culls and normal Discus to beginner Discus keepers just to get the experience. I may only keep 10% for selective breeding program.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

May I have some when you have discus to give away? I would be greatly thankful.

CliffsDiscus
03-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Hi Cliff,

May I have some when you have discus to give away? I would be greatly thankful.

Ok, some may be available on the next
BAD(BayAreaDiscus) Meeting.

Cliff

junior
03-10-2020, 08:57 AM
How do you know witch ones to keep

LizStreithorst
03-10-2020, 09:03 AM
It takes a trained eye to pick the best. Cliff's eye is very well trained. It takes time and experience to get that good. I've been in Discus since 2001 and Cliff noticed things in a pair of fish I posted here and asked for critiques of. He saw things that I had never noticed.

4eye gold fish
03-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Ok, some may be available on the next
BAD(BayAreaDiscus) Meeting.

Cliff

That is great! Where and when is the next meet? Is this a private club, how do I go about being a part of it.
I would love to hear and see your knowledge on artificial rearing or just Discus in general.

This article is the only thing I can find in regards to BAD, hope you don't mind me posting it. Admins, please take link to article down if it is improper.
http://www.tfhdigital.com/tfh/201102?pg=103#pg103

timotel
03-12-2020, 12:45 AM
I purchased 12 red turqs online. Four are runts like the one in the picture, 2 are so so and rest are average. Do online seller usually ship 1/3 of the discus as runt?

LizStreithorst
03-12-2020, 04:37 AM
No. You made a mistake and didn't buy from a sponsor, did you?

Willie
03-12-2020, 06:48 AM
I purchased 12 red turqs online. Four are runts like the one in the picture, 2 are so so and rest are average. Do online seller usually ship 1/3 of the discus as runt?

Runts and stunts are different things. Will need to understand how you're raising the batch, how often/how large the water change, size of tank, substrate, etc. to better assess where the fault lies.

CliffsDiscus
03-12-2020, 06:43 PM
That is great! Where and when is the next meet? Is this a private club, how do I go about being a part of it.
I would love to hear and see your knowledge on artificial rearing or just Discus in general.

This article is the only thing I can find in regards to BAD, hope you don't mind me posting it. Admins, please take link to article down if it is improper.
http://www.tfhdigital.com/tfh/201102?pg=103#pg103

There hasn't been much interest lately for the next meeting so I don't know where or when. For more details about artificially raising see mondodiscus.com.

Cliff

4eye gold fish
03-13-2020, 01:09 PM
There hasn't been much interest lately for the next meeting so I don't know where or when. For more details about artificially raising see mondodiscus.com.

Cliff

Thank you Cliff for the link. Guessing, due to the vast information available through the internet and great forums such as Simplydiscus that interest for meet ups have diminished.