PDA

View Full Version : Day 30 update on my blue diamond X albino babies

johnnyjellybean
03-13-2020, 06:59 AM
Here's a video of their 1st meal of the day. They are doing great so far. Note that at one point you can see one that has a fin that is missing a piece. This is not a deformity but rather an injury that is healing. He swam into the hose as I was doing a water change. I managed to stop the draining and locate him in the drain hose and saved him. He was a bit frazzled the 1st day but has recovered and is doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZ5KiKAWeg

Second Hand Pat
03-13-2020, 07:16 AM
Hi Steve, these guys look great, very active with good growth. Nice job growing these out. :)
Pat

MikeyO
03-13-2020, 09:10 AM
They look great for 30 days👍👍👍👍

Larry208
03-13-2020, 08:04 PM
Hi Steve, looking great my friend.

LizStreithorst
03-13-2020, 10:01 PM
You have a lot of them with good potential. It's time to start culling. Better to end up with many very good ones than it is to end up with a mix of very good and "will pass in a crowd" quality ones. This is not easy, so harden your heart and start earlier rather than later when it will be even harder.

Very well done. I'm looking forward to seeing more as they mature.

Willie
03-14-2020, 10:32 AM
Congratulations on the spawn. BD X albino is also a great crossing combination. Nicely done! Willie

LizStreithorst
03-14-2020, 01:37 PM
Yes. If I were in fish buying mode I'd be interested in some of those fry.

timvriens
03-15-2020, 05:31 AM
so cute :heart2:

danotaylor
03-15-2020, 07:52 AM
They look great mate!Where do you live Steve?

johnnyjellybean
03-15-2020, 07:54 AM
They look great mate!Where do you live Steve?

I'm in the Laurentian mountains in Canada. About 85 kms north of Montreal.

Picture from yesterday.....

johnnyjellybean
10-02-2020, 07:46 AM
Hi everyone. Well it's been 7 months and I landed up keeping about 1/2 the fish and sold or gave away the rest. They currently range in size from just under 4 inches to 4.5 inches for the larger ones. Color is just starting to come in nicely and I'm looking forward to the 2-3 months to see their coloration. I'm already starting to see a little bit of the purple coloration in the face that the previous generation had. I'm pretty sure that is from albino side.
The parents have spawned several times since but I haven't had success. They start fighting over who is going to watch over the eggs and usually eat them by the end of the 2nd day. I haven't seen it, but I believe it's the female doing the eating . She is belligerent! I considered taking her out and will probably do so the next time they spawn.

danotaylor
10-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Nice one Johnny. Well done!

Shan_Evolved
10-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Wow very cool! 7 months and around 4 inches! Pretty wicked cool.

Is that around the time BD start to really show color? My single blue diamond is almost 5 months and is already pretty blue

johnnyjellybean
08-28-2021, 03:29 PM
So you guys haven't heard from me in a while but today I had to share. These fish are now 18 months old. I sold some more to make room and kept 12. So far I have 2 pair. 1 of the 2 has spawned several times but were quick to eat the eggs. Today I decided to up my game on thier water quality and did a 50% change with neutral PH water with a TDS of 55ppm. Here is a video of the result.......

https://youtu.be/AvhXP_dXOLw

LizStreithorst
08-28-2021, 04:28 PM
I don't think I will ever get tired or watching Discus spawn. The way they move against one another is so gentle. The fact that these are the first spawn of your own breeding is the greatest feeling in the world.

seanyuki
08-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Video adjusted.

http://youtu.be/AvhXP_dXOLw

johnnyjellybean
09-22-2021, 07:22 AM
So here is an update. The next generation pair pictured in the video spawned 2 times and landed up eating the eggs.
So I decided to get serious about the water conditions and brought the PH down to 6 while getting the TDS down to 85-90.
The 3rd time they didn't eat the eggs and it was looking good up until day 2 1/2 when about 1/2 the eggs were going white while the other 1/2 were getting quite dark and I was hoping for wrigglers. I knew they were fertilized since I had watched the male do quite a few passes.
The thing is, they landed up eating them that night. It looked like the eggs were hatching but that they ate them as wrigglers and I was worried that this might become a continuing thing.
Now the crazy part.........This morning, I got up and was ready to wipe the cone clean and do a huge water change when I noticed they were paying close attention to the other side of the cone. I peeked around and saw wrigglers!!
I turned the cone about 1 inch and low and behold, there's about 100+ wrigglers on the other side!!
LOL.
They are being very attentive and have their "parent colours" on and things look good for a successful spawn. Isn't that the craziest?

LizStreithorst
09-22-2021, 09:33 AM
It's amazing how well good parents can hide their wigglers in a BB tank. My Rams are the same way.

johnnyjellybean
09-22-2021, 09:58 AM
It's amazing how well good parents can hide their wigglers in a BB tank. My Rams are the same way.

The crazy thing is that there was a spawn on each side of the cone.
Or was it that they moved them??
I can't figure it out. There are a few unhatched eggs on that side also.

LizStreithorst
09-22-2021, 10:17 AM
They moved them. Sometimes they'll move the again before they free swim. It's a good sign that you have a good protective pair.