PDA

View Full Version : New chicks arrived

LizStreithorst
03-27-2020, 12:57 PM
I had to order 25 because it was the minimum order for this particular breed. They always send a couple extras just in case one dies en route so I have 27, all females. I'll get the camera out later. They look like little chipmunks with 2 legs and feathers.

danotaylor
03-27-2020, 04:40 PM
Haha, nice Liz, chirping chipmunks!

coralbandit
03-27-2020, 07:06 PM
27 chicks ! You get birds like I like to get fish ..A small herd ...:p
They came in the mail right ? Many of the fish shipping rules were founded around chicken shipping ..

LizStreithorst
03-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Yes. USPS Priority. I've only had 3 shipments of chicks in my life and it seems to me that the USPS is more careful with day old chicks than they are with fish shipments.

coralbandit
03-27-2020, 08:47 PM
Were they still eggs when shipped ?
My reading said they are often shipped just before hatching so they hatch while in the mail ! Hence you receive day old chicks !
That just blew me away when I read that ..
I think most would think a day old chick is much more fragile then fish generally ?
I figured someone must shake the box labeled LIVE FISH just see if they here water ??
I try to let go once I put fish in the mail but my mind wanders .:p

LizStreithorst
03-28-2020, 09:37 AM
No they were a day old when they were shipped. I have received incubated eggs that I incubated myself but never eggs that hatched en route. The thing with fish is they don't care that much if they are tossed around during shipping. I need to take pics of the chicks. I'll take a pic of the box at the same time. You won't believe how small the box is that 27 little chicks will fit in. More in a box is better than fewer because they help keep one another warm. Everyone who lays hands on the box hears the peeping and that reminds everyone that there is something alive and fragile inside.

LizStreithorst
03-28-2020, 09:52 AM
The box is next to a 20 gallon tank to help you judge the size.

Second Hand Pat
03-28-2020, 10:06 AM
There is nothing cuter then a baby chick :D What breed are they Liz?
Pat

LizStreithorst
03-28-2020, 10:18 AM
They're Bielefelders. The breed comes from Germany and are said to do very well in a free range situation like I have. Another cool thing I like about them is that you can tell the females from males as soon as they hatch. The females look like chipmunks, like mine. The males are lighter in color and have a white spot on their heads. They are said to be excellent meat chickens as well as good layers. They lay a nice large egg, too.

seanyuki
03-28-2020, 10:33 AM
Bielefelders images127257127257

RogueDiscus
03-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Wow, those gals are small!

LizStreithorst
03-28-2020, 12:14 PM
You would not believe how fast they grow. I bet I'll be moving them to the chicken house in a week.

Disgirl
03-28-2020, 03:27 PM
Oh how cute! And they do look like chipmunks. What is in that 20 gal tank? Thanks for the pics Liz!
Barb

LizStreithorst
03-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Small Ram grow outs.

Larry208
03-28-2020, 07:08 PM
Great looking chicks Liz, they are good layers and if need be can make a good dinner too.

LizStreithorst
03-31-2020, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Larry.

Today I tossed the chicks some very small live meal worms. I wondered it they'd find the worms in the shavings but they did. It was a hoot. A chick would grab a worm and rather than eating it it would get all excited and run around the brooder peep, peep, peeping like crazy. The other chicks figured out what was up and they all chased the chick with the worm sticking half out of it's beak. Mostly another chick would steal the worm and the others would chase it. Eventually, the one with the worm would find a quite corner and eat the worm in peace. This happened over and over. I've always said that there is nothing better than live food.

Disgirl
04-09-2020, 02:36 PM
And now they are all dressed up!
Barb:)

Iminit
04-09-2020, 08:24 PM
Thanks Liz made me smile :). Haven’t seen chicks since my uncles farm when I was a young kid. Lol even funnier in skirts!!:).

April
04-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Oh lucky you! I love chickens . I had a bunch when I had my grooming shop on Dunbar . Francis helped me with them as well as washing and blow drying dogs and doing water changes on fish. One day we walked out to the shed and saw one egg on the walkway. Looked over to a shelf and voila eggs all lined up! Thry has just started laying . I had buffingtons and red rock .
Can’t have chickens now . : (.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Lovely to have you respond, April. After a failed try at hatching in an incubator I bought 25 female Bielefelders and one male. They are bred to be excellent in a free range situation which is what I have out here in the sticks.

danotaylor
04-11-2020, 06:48 AM
Very nice looking chooks Liz...cute little buggers, and very attractive adults!