PDA

View Full Version : new batch of discus

twocat
04-12-2020, 09:21 AM
It has been about 10 yrs since I had discus, Getting a new batch in a couple of weeks. What med should I purchase and keep on hand.

peewee1
04-12-2020, 09:26 AM
Salt, epson salt, Metro. Curious, variety and size that you ordered? Id you buy from one of the forum sponsors?

seanyuki
04-12-2020, 09:44 AM
My medicine cabinet.... Potassium permanganate or Formalin & Malachite Green,Acriflavine ,Kanamycin, Nitrofurazone,Metronidazole,Levamisole,Praziquante l, Methylene blue and salt.

coralbandit
04-12-2020, 10:12 AM
My medicine cabinet.... Potassium permanganate or Formalin & Malachite Green,Acriflavine ,Kanamycin, Nitrofurazone,Metronidazole,Levamisole,Praziquante l, Methylene blue and salt.

^^That is a good complete medicine cabinet IMO ^^
I have all the above myself but rarely use anything besides PP.

14Discus
04-12-2020, 11:25 AM
I’m happy to say that I’ve rarely, and in a few cases never, had to use much of the listed items, but my thinking is it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Sometimes time is of the essence and waiting for mail delivery or pet shops to open is critical. I realize that some of my list may expire, but I just think of it like insurance on pretty high priced fish and a potential quick action should the need arise. I know some out there will think I have too much.....that’s fine......for them, but not me. Since you asked......here’s my cabinet.

PraziPro
Paraguard
Cupramine
Prime
Clove oil.......should I need to humanely put down a fish
API General Cure
RidIch Plus
Furan2
Metronidazole
Stress guard/coat
Aquarium salt
Epsom salt
Replenish......for a GH boost if needed in my aging container
Stability
Crushed coral......for a gradual KH boost if needed
De-chlorinator/chloramine liquid
———————————
Test kits for:
PH
KH
GH
NO2
NO3
NH3
Iron
Phosphorus
Copper
Total Ammonia......NH3 and NH4
—————————
Spare sponge filter in sump for emergency QT usage
Complete QT all ready to go at moments notice
Spare heaters
Lastly.......a link to SimplyDiscus for advice or resourcing.
Interestingly, the seller of my fish is always available and super willing to receive my call to share his wealth of knowledge and give sound advice. If you didn’t already know.....his name is Kenny C. of Kenny’s Discus in Daly, CA.

peewee1
04-12-2020, 01:08 PM
I’m happy to say that I’ve rarely, and in a few cases never, had to use much of the listed items, but my thinking is it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Sometimes time is of the essence and waiting for mail delivery or pet shops to open is critical. I realize that some of my list may expire, but I just think of it like insurance on pretty high priced fish and a potential quick action should the need arise. I know some out there will think I have too much.....that’s fine......for them, but not me. Since you asked......here’s my cabinet.

PraziPro
Paraguard
Cupramine
Prime
Clove oil.......should I need to humanely put down a fish
API General Cure
RidIch Plus
Furan2
Metronidazole
Stress guard/coat
Aquarium salt
Epsom salt
Replenish......for a GH boost if needed in my aging container
Stability
Crushed coral......for a gradual KH boost if needed
De-chlorinator/chloramine liquid
———————————
Test kits for:
PH
KH
GH
NO2
NO3
NH3
Iron
Phosphorus
Copper
Total Ammonia......NH3 and NH4
—————————
Spare sponge filter in sump for emergency QT usage
Complete QT all ready to go at moments notice
Spare heaters
Lastly.......a link to SimplyDiscus for advice or resourcing.
Interestingly, the seller of my fish is always available and super willing to receive my call to share his wealth of knowledge and give sound advice. If you didn’t already know.....his name is Kenny C. of Kenny’s Discus in Daly, CA.
twocat, this is the list! I forgot the Prime, Furan2, the PraziPro, and the Kenny. Kenny will sell out of stock every month. He says that because of the virus he did not receive fish this month but could, I doubt, but could have some still in stock from March. Check it out.

14Discus
04-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Now you’ll know I’m nuts.......

Johnny95132
04-12-2020, 05:30 PM
And I thought having metro on hand was enough lol. I remember reading on here that metro and kanamycin were the only two meds you need, since metro would treat gram-positive and kanamycin would take care of gram-negative bacteria. Thanks for the suggestions on the other meds.

prakash.dudharejiya
11-17-2021, 12:48 AM
If possibke plz write what is use of and when do we need to do treatment

LizStreithorst
11-18-2021, 03:18 PM
I'd worm new arrivals with Absolute Wormer. It does a good job on flukes, too. I worm twice 3 weeks apart.

dspeers
11-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Do you use the manufacturers recommended dosage?

captainandy
11-18-2021, 08:24 PM
Invermectin is a wonderful dewormer

LizStreithorst
11-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Yes. Overdosing won't hurt but it works well at the label dosage. The reason I do this treatment 3 weeks apart is because within 3 weeks eggs hatch out. If you are extremely obsessive you can do it 3 times 2 weeks apart. I don't.

LizStreithorst
11-18-2021, 08:38 PM
Ivermectin is good but I've never herd of it being used in fish, only in warm blooded animals. It have used it for so long that I can remember when it first came out. Levamisole is another good wormer. Did you know that it is an immune system simulant, too? It is used in cancer patients. I prefer Absolute which is a close relative of Safe Gard. It is an extremely gentle wormer and works at the label dosage and get's flukes. My thinking is why would I bother to use 3 stones to hit 3 targets when I can hit the three targets just as well with 2 stones?

seanyuki
11-18-2021, 09:03 PM
Cloverleaf Absolute Wormer + dosage instructions is for UK gallons…..

Francis, wormers in the same family are often used at 2X the label dose without a problem. The difference between UK gallons and US gallons is of no consequence in this case.