PDA

View Full Version : purple algae having a hard time getting rid of

matt2426
05-11-2020, 08:32 AM
So ive been dealing with what i think is black beard alage for a while now. i think it come from some plants i bought but not for sure. anyway ill give you a rundown of what ive tried and how my tank is set up. so i have a 125 gallon tank i run a fx6 and an aquaclear 110 for filtration. I do water changes every other day 40 percent. i keep my temp at 82 degrees. my water parameters are ph 8.2 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrate kinda hard to tell with the api test but around 10 to 20ppm. I have tried using hydrogen peroxide spot treatment several times it usually gets a little better than i try to scrape off what i can then it comes right back. ive also tried using flourish excel but i think i over treated with that stuff because my fish got really stressed out when i did that not sure how much i should be using i guess. here are a few pictures just seeing what everyone else has tried that has worked. Its not terrible because ive been keeping up on top of it with spot cleaning with the hydrogen peroxide and scraping off with a tooth brush every so often but it gets on my background and driftwood. just seeing if anyone has any suggestion to get rid of it completely without it coming back thanks127668127669127670

coralbandit
05-11-2020, 12:00 PM
I like the 'One Two punch ' for killing BBA.
It is both excel[glutaralehyde ] and H202.
I use 1ml H202 per gallon leaving filters running .
Here is a thread on the process ;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/203684-one-two-punch-whole-tank-algae-treatment.html

matt2426
05-11-2020, 01:48 PM
I like the 'One Two punch ' for killing BBA.
It is both excel[glutaralehyde ] and H202.
I use 1ml H202 per gallon leaving filters running .
Here is a thread on the process ;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/203684-one-two-punch-whole-tank-algae-treatment.html

ok thanks for that info. so how long do you dose the excel is says to do the recommended dose on excel but for how many days do you dose it for. should i be dosing it regularly. but ill give that a try. Do you repeat the whole h202 process or do you just do it once. thanks for the help

coralbandit
05-11-2020, 04:13 PM
The H202 and excel/glut should be used for a couple days in a row to be effective .
The glut/ excel if used for plants should be used daily or you are wasting it .
You will see the BBA turn red when the H202 has started to effect it .
Keep going a couple more days to make sure you have whipped it completely .

bluelagoon
05-12-2020, 08:41 AM
I have a real cure without chemicals. Yes, it works. Take a blanket or something and cover your tank and blacken it out for 3-4 days completely blacK, SO NO PECKING in the tank!!! You will need the find out if it's caused by lack of CO2 or a nutrients problem for it to stay away. That method has worked for me for all types of algae. And is safe. Don't worry a few days without light sudden hinder healthy plants.