PDA

View Full Version : New fish not adapting very well.

matt2426
05-13-2020, 08:20 PM
So I got 2 new fish off a friend a few weeks ago. I Qt them for about 2 weeks no meds just watched them to make sure there where not any issues they were fine eating and acting normal no signs of anything out of the normal. So i figured it could put them in my display tank. I put them in there on sunday and they are not doing well at all. They are stressed out bad. just been hiding since sunday not trying to eat. i do have alot bigger discus in my display most of them are around 6.5 inches or so have 8 of them in there . these guys are 4.5. Im not sure what i can do. I moved them back into qt. because one of them has been leaning on its side for the last few hours once i put them back in qt by them selves they seem fine. I guess im going to have to grow them out a little bit more. what do you guys suggest.

danotaylor
05-14-2020, 03:55 AM
How long were the new fish in your display for? If it was a few hours then possibly just intimidated by the bigger fish and being in a new territory. If it was more than 48 hours the side laying could be related to a pathogen your display fish are immune to but the newbies are not.
It is putting all of your fish at risk not adopting the hero fish method though. I would recommend watching them another week separately then putting your least favourite display fish in with the 2 new ones in the QT watch a further 3-4 weeks, then if everything is ok, put them together in your display :thumbsup:

jeep
05-14-2020, 12:00 PM
How long were the new fish in your display for? If it was a few hours then possibly just intimidated by the bigger fish and being in a new territory. If it was more than 48 hours the side laying could be related to a pathogen your display fish are immune to but the newbies are not.
It is putting all of your fish at risk not adopting the hero fish method though. I would recommend watching them another week separately then putting your least favourite display fish in with the 2 new ones in the QT watch a further 3-4 weeks, then if everything is ok, put them together in your display :thumbsup:

What Danny said! Can you give us a good photo?

matt2426
05-14-2020, 07:15 PM

ok thanks ya i moved them back already to the qt. they were in the display for 3 days They were getting picked on pretty bad by my bully fish. It could be a pathogen but im guessing they got stressed from the bigger fish. once i put them back in the qt they seem better. Maybe just the new enviroment is freaking them out. but i hear ya i took a chance when i put them in the display. All the fish in display seem fine. do you treat new fish or just observe. but im going to leave them in the qt for a few more weeks and do what you recommnend. Try the hero method.

matt2426
05-14-2020, 07:29 PM
What Danny said! Can you give us a good photo?

heres a pic i don't have a light set up on the qt tank there still a little stressed not the best picture but seem like there doing a little better. There heckel crosses they beautiful when there not so stressed out.127712127713

danotaylor
05-14-2020, 09:47 PM
Read this thread. I did everything right and still had issues needing intervention...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135228-Hero-fish-question&highlight=Hero+fish+question

Iminit
05-14-2020, 11:17 PM
Yes they look stressed. How big is the qt tank and the main tank. I’m thinking it’s stress with the new fish. If it was a pathogen they’d still be sick. Pic of the main tank :).