PDA

View Full Version : Popular breeders

Oxboy
05-29-2020, 12:45 PM
So I noticed in a recent thread how some of you are very loyal to certain breeders. I see the names like Stendker and Forrest thrown around. And if i understand correctly, Hans sells Stendker and Kenny sells Forrest. What other popular breeder + importer combos are you guys loyal to?

Willie
05-29-2020, 04:20 PM
Good question and the answer is, of course, it depends. :p

Hans is, so far, the sole distributor of Stendker discus in the US. So all his fish come from the same 2 - 3 Stendker hatcheries. Kenny works exclusively with Forrest, who has his own discus strains, but also has fish from other farms. Kenny's fish is exclusively Malaysian.

While other sellers sell discus from breeders, I'm not aware of anyone else who has an exclusive relationship. That is to say, not all their discus comes from a single farm or even a single country. Discus can come from China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Philippines etc. Malaysian discus tend to be pricier, but usually represent the latest varieties.

Hope that helps, Willie

LizStreithorst
05-29-2020, 04:36 PM
I don't know of any others that have an exclusive relationship with a breeder. The ones who do tell the world about the breeder they depend their livelihood on.

I was very impressed by the Vietnamese fish at the last NADA. The judges liked them, too. I don't remember the name of the breeder or if he currently exports to the US.

danotaylor
05-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Dennis sources his fish from a farm in Malaysia also. He had a supplier in Vietnam but they did him wrong early on and he moved on. I don't know that the Malaysian supplier is a big name breeder, but Dennis gets quality fish from that source each shipment. I do not know if they breed all the strains he gets from them, or if they source fish from other breeders as well...

Oxboy
05-29-2020, 05:21 PM
Dennis sources his fish from a farm in Malaysia also. He had a supplier in Vietnam but they did him wrong early on and he moved on. I don't know that the Malaysian supplier is a big name breeder, but Dennis gets quality fish from that source each shipment. I do not know if they breed all the strains he gets from them, or if they source fish from other breeders as well...

Dennis in Ohio?

danotaylor
05-29-2020, 05:23 PM
Yessir, Dennis Discus Fish. Bowling Green, Ohio :thumbsup:

Iminit
05-30-2020, 12:14 PM
Ok I’ve a question. Does Hans breed discus or import his from Germany. I was under the impression that he bred Stendker discus.

Willie
05-30-2020, 12:57 PM
Per his agreement with Stendker, Hans is strictly an importer.

Willie