PDA

View Full Version : Discus from lfs?

TacoLoco7
06-04-2020, 11:20 PM
So I've been wanting discus lately. I'm a young teen who got no job or anything. I am in the Chicago area, and looked up on Chicago Discus, but they just dont have the younger 2" discus that I am looking for, the larger ones are way out if my price range, and if I wanted to get 6 of them at the same time, that would be impossible for me. I only have $130 dollars, but my parents wont allow me to order from Hans or any other out of state breeder due to very expensive shipping. Some of my lfs have deals like 2 for 35 (2 - 2.5"), but I always hesitate whether to get them or not. If I decided to get them from one if my lfs, I will tell them to not open the bag when they arrive their so that they can go straight to my qt tank. Is it fine if I get them from my lfs?

jeep
06-05-2020, 12:04 AM
It's a gamble for sure, and when I've gambled with discus I've lost. It sounds like you're doing your homework, but if possible we always like to see what we're getting before we make the purchase. Just remember, cheap fish are not always inexpensive. If they are sick or have parasites you can spend a lot more money in the long run trying to nurse them.

No one can make the decision for you, and I don't want to discourage you from the hobby, but I would recommend reading and studying so you are prepared. Sorry, probably not much help here...

If possible, I would wait and save up until you find exactly what you're looking for.

peewee1
06-05-2020, 12:09 AM
You may have a good idea if you lfs will allow you to buy your fish upon arrival rather than them first placing the fish into one of their tanks. In doing so you would avoid the fish from getting contaminated by anything lurking in their tanks at least. I would suppose that you would be at the lfs on the day the fish arrived so that you could confirm that they are alive. You are a smart one so you did or would explain to the store manager why you want to buy right off the truck, as they say. What is the price per fish? I ask because you may want to save a few bucks for a bottle of Prime and some other medicine that the LFS recommends.

two utes
06-05-2020, 02:45 AM
Its great to see that you want to get into discus, and you are on the right track wanting to start with a group of six at 2 inch in size. You have obviously done your homework, and are aware of all the risks with buying from your LFS. Let me tell you that its no fun dealing with sick fish. If your LFS can obtain the smaller fish for you, and not sell them to you out of his tank, you may do o.k....but do you know his source?

I suggest you try and find a hobbyist in your area that's breeding them, maybe even a member from here. Put your feelers out...you never know what may come back at you.

Good luck with finding what you want, but in the mean time keep reading up on here to give your group the best care possible. If all else fails keep saving up and buy the slightly larger discus from a reputable supplier.

bluelagoon
06-05-2020, 07:33 AM
I think you'd be better off to buy them from a local breeder if you can, rather than a LPS.

fljones3
06-05-2020, 07:53 AM
Did you contact Chicago Discus or just look at their website? I have found them helpful. Explain your situation.
The bigger the discus, the better - especially for beginners. But there is also budget considerations.
How big a tank are you proposing to have?

peewee1
06-05-2020, 11:22 AM
I think you'd be better off to buy them from a local breeder if you can, rather than a LPS.

It is possible that the LFS is buying from a local breeder. What Taco would be doing is taking the fish from the breeder/supplier and taking direct delivery before the LFS cycles the fish through its system. I think the danger is the introduction of the fish into its system and not from the breeder/wholesaler. Why would the lfs buy its stock from a bad source? Taco would probably get a better price per fish if he bought direct from the breeder and not have to pay the lfs markup. Mac's has 2in fish at on average of $40 each with shipping included. But Mac is in Washington State. The lfs 2 for $35 fits Taco's budget, no shipping costs, and if the lfs breeder/supplier is reputable and if Taco buys the fish still in the delivery process rather than allowing them to be placed in the lfs tanks then he should be okay. My question to you is, why would the lfs be buying bad fish for whomever they are buying them from? I think the problems begin when those fish are introduced into the lfs tank system. And remember that Herman Chan at Fairy Lake for years sold great fish, some to many of us including me, and I will remind that Fairy Late is indeed a lfs.

LizStreithorst
06-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Taco, given your situation I think that the LFS is your best option. When I get fish (non Discus) from the LFS they always call me and I pick them up in the bags they arrived in. Even if the Discus you get are not the best quality you will get good experience raising them up.

I'm glad you've been reading here. We will love helping you as you get going with this project. Keep us posted and best of luck to you.

peewee1
06-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Taco, given your situation I think that the LFS is your best option. When I get fish (non Discus) from the LFS they always call me and I pick them up in the bags they arrived in. Even if the Discus you get are not the best quality you will get good experience raising them up.

I'm glad you've been reading here. We will love helping you as you get going with this project. Keep us posted and best of luck to you.

Listen to Liz, Taco. I'm dang smart but Liz is smarter than me and with both agree on this one so that means you just got yourself some double smart advice. I only add that you buy a bottle of Prime and have some pocket money ready in the unlikely event that you need a medication at some point in the grow out. And if it were me I would buy a variety of colors than all of the same.

peewee1
06-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Hey, Taco, what do your call yourself "Taco"? And don't give some lame story that because your family name is Bell, Time, or Tuesday because I am not buying that!

fljones3
06-05-2020, 11:57 AM
BTW, in the original post they stated that Chicago Discus was lfs to them.

CliffsDiscus
06-05-2020, 01:37 PM
Look for a local breeder. Check the fish clubs, they may have fish auctions. At our fish club there are a few Discus keepers and even a Discus book author. Most Discus hobbyist know their LFS as they need their supplies. I sell my Discus to LFS, even to Fairy Lake Discus. Last Discus to Fairy Lake were Wayne Ng's homebred.

Cliff

LizStreithorst
06-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Excellent suggestion, Cliff. In the Chicago area there must be a club. I bet that if he were to call Chicago Discus Miranda would point him to one. She might even help him out selling him some of her smaller stock. She has a kind heart. If he can make a connection with someone other than the LFS they would help him along. May be even give him a cycled filter if she has a spare.

Chicago Discus
06-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Hey, my Chicago friend... give me a call and I will set you up with some discus. ... Miranda 312-622-0055

jeep
06-05-2020, 03:59 PM
Hey, my Chicago friend... give me a call and I will set you up with some discus. ... Miranda 312-622-0055

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks like Taco came to the right place!!!

bossanova
06-07-2020, 04:52 AM
You won’t wanna hear this, but discus are an expensive fish. If you’re on a super tight budget right now, just wait or get something else. The minimum I would advise you get is 5 fish in a 55 gallon tank.

peewee1
06-07-2020, 06:31 AM
You won’t wanna hear this, but discus are an expensive fish. If you’re on a super tight budget right now, just wait or get something else. The minimum I would advise you get is 5 fish in a 55 gallon tank.

I did not want to hear this. There is nothing more refreshing than to begin a new day with what is becoming an old virus to a less than encouraging message from you to a hopeful teen. I would suggest that you reread the entire thread. It is one full of hope and encouragement, especially the offer from ChicagoDiscus. News flash! I have and now do raise 5 discus in as small as a 30 gallon tank. Yes, six could be a stretch but a 40 gallon for Taco will be okay for his desired 6. Someone on this forum will be sure, probably not you, that someone gets to him those 6 fish and within his budget. Right now we all can use a Christmas in June.

bluelagoon
06-07-2020, 08:14 AM
It is possible that the LFS is buying from a local breeder. What Taco would be doing is taking the fish from the breeder/supplier and taking direct delivery before the LFS cycles the fish through its system. I think the danger is the introduction of the fish into its system and not from the breeder/wholesaler. Why would the lfs buy its stock from a bad source? Taco would probably get a better price per fish if he bought direct from the breeder and not have to pay the lfs markup. Mac's has 2in fish at on average of $40 each with shipping included. But Mac is in Washington State. The lfs 2 for $35 fits Taco's budget, no shipping costs, and if the lfs breeder/supplier is reputable and if Taco buys the fish still in the delivery process rather than allowing them to be placed in the lfs tanks then he should be okay. My question to you is, why would the lfs be buying bad fish for whomever they are buying them from? I think the problems begin when those fish are introduced into the lfs tank system. And remember that Herman Chan at Fairy Lake for years sold great fish, some to many of us including me, and I will remind that Fairy Late is indeed a lfs.

I think it mostly depends on the LPS. Some might specialize in discus and receive the best of the stock and most do not. From what I've come across they have a very few decent discus, mostly culls and peppered PB. The good ones you'll see on here from some sponsors and other specialized discus shops. You might get "lucky" and find some decent ones. These may come from local breeders where they are not raised on antibiotics, which I think make healthier discus. I would rather get discus from some of the folks that raise discus on here before I would attempt to go to a lps that don't specialize in discus or don't understand the importance of care for these fish at such a young age when that is their most important journey. Most of their discus come from fish farms and the time it takes to get them from the farm to your tank, they could go without foods for days to weeks, especially if they are held in a not so discus friendly LPS where they are treated like guppys. All being said I did get a few decent discus at a LPS before they got dumped their tanks, but they were the only ones I've seen around since then in our local stores. I was glad that I just happened at that lps that day when they arrived and say how nice their shape was. They did not come from a farm.

Iminit
06-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Well it seems like taco will do well with Chicago discus (a very nice offer). But there are good lfs discus but you just have to find them. Know your store and the buyer also needs to take care of them. Lfs discus are where 90% get there first discus. If bought early enough they can be good fish. If bought from a shop that at least knows what there doing with discus can work too. First if the shop has discus in a tank with other fish forget it! If they are in there own tank the chances are much better. If so ask what they are feeding and if they will feed for you. If feeding Any type of live worms your chances of sick fish are worse. But with medicating you may be able to save them. If feeding freeze dried chances are much better you’ll get good fish. My first 5 are store bought. All are doing well and now living with Hans and Uncle Sams discus :). So it can be done :).

captainandy
06-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Another source of inexpensive discus is craigslist. At least you can see them and meet the hobbiest.

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Hi Miranda, this is so generous you :) You may want to pm Taco? They do not seem to be getting around much on the forum.
Pat

captainandy
06-09-2020, 11:28 AM

I couldnt agree more. The notion of maintining discus by a teenager with that kind of budget is silly and bound to fail. When I was a teenager I had a couple of oscars in a second hand 55 and they gave me years of joy

peewee1
06-09-2020, 11:52 AM
I couldnt agree more. The notion of maintining discus by a teenager with that kind of budget is silly and bound to fail. When I was a teenager I had a couple of oscars in a second hand 55 and they gave me years of joy

The both of you seem not to give a teenager much credit. So many teens have achieved at their young ages more than I suspect the both of you have in your combined lifetimes. How are you to assume who Taco is and what Taco is capable of doing?

Last December, nearly 2,000 people showed up for a protest outside U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May’s home, led by 18-year-old Amika George. Her goal: convince policymakers to end “period poverty,” as she calls it, by funding the distribution of menstrual products to girls and women who can’t afford them. “It really upset me,” she tells TIME of learning that many girls in the U.K. were routinely missing school during their periods because they couldn’t afford to buy menstrual products. “The government knew this was happening on their watch, but they were refusing to find a solution.” She launched the #FreePeriods campaign as a response, gathering nearly 200,000 signatures on her petition to help eradicate period poverty; the movement eventually garnered the support of over a dozen U.K. policymakers, galvanizing the government to allocate funds to the issue for the first time. But George, who was honored with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s Goalkeepers Campaign Award this fall, says she is just getting started. “We can’t trust our policymakers to take action on issues that seem so obvious to us,” she says. “If we want to see change, it falls on us to create that change.”

Eighteen year old Kavya Kopparapu, now a freshman at Harvard University, was reading a story about the late Sen. John McCain, who was battling the aggressive brain cancer known as glioblastoma. What stuck with Kopparapu was the part of the story that mentioned that in the past 30 years, the survival rate for the disease has barely budged. “I thought, Why is that?” she says. “We have so much innovation that it didn’t make sense that we hadn’t gotten better.” So she set out to change things, developing a deep-learning computer system that can scan slides of tissue from brain cancer patients looking for differences in density, color, texture and cellular alignment that are unique to that particular person’s case. The goal: to develop targeted therapies that are also unique to the person. Her system has been awarded a provisional patent, and this year, she hopes to begin clinical tests in collaboration with a neuropathologist at Georgetown University. In addition, she is the founder of the non-profit Girls Computing League, which works this year to bring computing opportunities to girls in the northern Virginia and Washington, DC area.

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2020, 01:34 PM
Teenagers can be incredibly creative so let's not sale Taco short. We need to encourage kids to be fish keepers otherwise fish keeping becomes a thing of the past.
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-09-2020, 01:56 PM
It just bothers me that he made this post and has not been back since. He was looking for help, we offered him help and he's gone. It seems rude.

bossanova
06-11-2020, 12:02 AM
Well, I thought actually telling the truth would help. My story is that I tried Discus in my early 20s, failed because I had no $ or experience, and got discouraged. It’s common.

Now in my 40s, I finally did it right, based on good information I got here and Hans’ stock.

Nothing wrong with keeping some Africans or Apistos for a little while and working towards discus.

Vinni Smith
06-12-2020, 09:46 PM
Teenagers can be incredibly creative so let's not sale Taco short. We need to encourage kids to be fish keepers otherwise fish keeping becomes a thing of the past.
Pat

SO true Pat. Happens with a lot of hobbies. We used to race pigeons. Talk about a think of the past!

Chicago Discus
06-18-2020, 11:51 AM
Well, it's been about 2 weeks now since our friend Taco posted his concerns. I would have been glad to give him some small discus for him to learn how to keep discus. I also sent him a PM, but no reply. You can lead a horse to water, etc. etc. I try to encourage young budding aquarists any chance I get. I have donated fish to teachers who keep discus in their classrooms, and I always pay special attention to the visitors who bring their children with them to visit our shop. It is important to keep the hobby going! I am sure all the sponsors here on Simply Discus have done the same.

Second Hand Pat
06-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Well, it's been about 2 weeks now since our friend Taco posted his concerns. I would have been glad to give him some small discus for him to learn how to keep discus. I also sent him a PM, but no reply. You can lead a horse to water, etc. etc. I try to encourage young budding aquarists any chance I get. I have donated fish to teachers who keep discus in their classrooms, and I always pay special attention to the visitors who bring their children with them to visit our shop. It is important to keep the hobby going! I am sure all the sponsors here on Simply Discus have done the same.

Thanks for trying Miranda and very generous of you. Perhaps Taco ran into a hiccip with his/her parents.
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-18-2020, 12:17 PM
Now I feel bad about pointing you to this thread. He sure did blow a great chance.

peewee1
06-18-2020, 09:53 PM
I just remembered that I am Taco's uncle. Uncle Burrito. Send everything to me and I will get it the lad, pronto.

two utes
06-25-2020, 04:19 PM

Not to many people like you out there. Good on you! On the flip side there's always those that try and take advantage of peoples kindness.
Taco may have been side tracked or told that he cannot have a tank now. Maybe his circumstances will change, but im sure he will appreciate peoples encouraging replies if he returns

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 12:27 PM
I just my post from four months ago. I dont get notifications from the forum. I appreciate all the advice and help you guys have provided to me. The reason I know all this stuff and preparations is because I have been in he hobby since I was five. I have foolishly bought discus at the age of 10, and they would only last me half a year. I have grown a lot in this hobby, and there is much more to come. I kept saltwater as well, but I never had the money to buy the proper items to maintain a red tank. So I went back to freshwater. I still havent gotten any discus yet, I got into high tech planted tanks during qt and I'm looking forward to getting discus in the display tank. I know it will be a challenge to keep the discus happy in a high tech planted aquarium, but I'm up for it. All I ever wanted to achieve was a beautiful planted discus tank. I still have some more questions about discus, but I'm not sure if I should I ask them in this forum or make a new forum.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 12:29 PM
I just saw your post two utes. I would really appreciate that!!! I didnt now my thread had so many replies to it. Thx everyone.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 12:33 PM
I've been reading all the posts. And I'm on mobile and I havent been on the forum lately. The thread doesnt send me notifications as I said earlier. I will right now at the moment and see all the messages.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 12:37 PM
I do have a big bottle of prime and I have medication from wattley discus such as acriflavin neutral and metronidazol, also some ich x. I was hoping to get levimasol, but I havent taken time to look for it, but I will.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Goodafternoom everyone, Miranda has been nice and kindful to give me some discus. Thank you to everyone who replied and were going to give me discus. I really did indeed mess up on my part by basically leaving you guys hanging. I could never appreciate how happy I am with people willing to give me discus under the circumstances I'm in. Once again, thankyou to everyone who helped on this forum.

peewee1
10-15-2020, 01:51 PM
Good job, Taco. You will be successful. If you can do it when you get the planted tank with fish I know I would enjoy seeing it if you did get photos posted.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 01:57 PM

I have been in the hobby for 10 years since I was five. I've been through all kinds if things in tha decade. I have learned a lot things from the mistakes I've made.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 01:59 PM
Patthey can say all they want, it will never discourage me. Fish keeping is my passion, hopefully one day I can take my fish keeping hobby into something bigger, and do the dame thing as u guys when I'm an adult.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 02:03 PM
It just bothers me that he made this post and has not been back since. He was looking for help, we offered him help and he's gone. It seems rude.

I apologize liz, I'm in mobile, I never got a notification on a reply, so I thought no one answered, so I never came back to the thread. Today I was just curious and came to look at the thread and see all these replies. I assumed no one responded because I al also posted once in the planted tank forum, but no one replied. But it turns out the ptf is nothing like this forum

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Now I feel bad about pointing you to this thread. He sure did blow a great chance.
Miranda was super nice that she still offered me discus when I called her today about what had happened. I'm super happy about the discus and that she was still willing to give me discus. I'm very grateful for her.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 02:09 PM
Good job, Taco. You will be successful. If you can do it when you get the planted tank with fish I know I would enjoy seeing it if you did get photos posted.

Thank you very much. The planted tank is doing great, I just need some more carpering plants, and in a couple of week, i'll post a pic.

peewee1
10-15-2020, 05:28 PM
they can say all they want, it will never discourage me. Fish keeping is my passion, hopefully one day I can take my fish keeping hobby into something bigger, and do the dame thing as u guys when I'm an adult.

Taco, something to think about would be to find a Community College and College that has a decent marine biology or fisheries school. You would thrive in that educational environment.

captainandy
10-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Taco, the discouraging posts are spot on. This is an expensive hobby filled with pitfalls and death. This is not a comment on your intelligence. . However, especially today, children do not like to take advice from experienced adults.

peewee1
10-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Taco, do not listen to discouragement. Remember the great "Eddie the Eagle" who as a teen dreamed of becoming an Olympic ski jumper. The UK had not had many if any jumpers but that did not kill Eddie's dream. His mother did not tell him that his dream was impossible but instead she made a box in which she placed a replica of an Olympic gold medal. Some years later Eddie found himself competing the the Olympics ski jump competition. Just go raise discus and if you fail you try again, and a again until you have the largest and most beautiful breeding discus in all of Chicagoland.

TacoLoco7
10-15-2020, 11:07 PM
Thx peewee, I'm leaving out all the discouragement. Keeping discus is like a rollercoaster. You know you can get on a rollercoaster, but your too scared. Same with the discus, I know I can keep them, but it will be a challenge to keep them perfectly healthy.

peewee1
10-15-2020, 11:42 PM
Taco, you might find this thread of interest. Roy is an experienced aquatic plant hobbyist who also raises discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?137207-Roy-s-30-Gallon-Red-Spot-Green-Discus-F1

SpeedDiscus
10-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Taco, I hope you get your discus and learn a lot along the way.

Don't listen to the negative people around here, if it were up to some you would need a PHD to even buy discus. I too started at a very young age keep fish and I always tried my very best to give the fish the best life I could, it sounds like you are much the same.

Someones age doesn't mean you should discount their passion or ability to learn and adapt. Taco is asking the right questions and doing the best he can with the resources he has. I have seen MANY MANY adults make completely incomprehensible decisions when buying and keeping pets, so why should we discourage an eager to learn teen with the right intentions?

TacoLoco, do your thing. I hope you have great success.

peewee1
10-21-2020, 09:11 AM
I just now recalled, Taco, that I began my first experience with Discus before the advent of the internet. My information came from a small thin book of general information and misinformation published by Dr. Herbert Axelrod. I bought my discus from a local fish store located in San Fransisco which is still there. Fairy Lake Discus. With virtually no information I did succeed at breeding my first batch of 12 discus. Fast forward to now. With all of the information via the inter-web how could you in spite of your age not be successful. Even if you bought your first fish from your local fish store. I would, however, accept the offer from Miranda. Why not keep a journal and post your experience here? In doing so you will show anyone how not so difficult it is to enjoy the hobby of raising discus. It seems to me that you will succeed if you fist begin with healthy fish.

Vinni Smith
10-21-2020, 03:51 PM
I just now recalled, Taco, that I began my first experience with Discus before the advent of the internet. My information came from a small thin book of general information and misinformation published by Dr. Herbert Axelrod. I bought my discus from a local fish store located in San Fransisco which is still there. Fairy Lake Discus. With virtually no information I did succeed at breeding my first batch of 12 discus. Fast forward to now. With all of the information via the inter-web how could you in spite of your age not be successful. Even if you bought your first fish from your local fish store. I would, however, accept the offer from Miranda. Why not keep a journal and post your experience here? In doing so you will show anyone how not so difficult it is to enjoy the hobby of raising discus. It seems to me that you will succeed if you fist begin with healthy fish.

Axelrod wrote EVERY fish book in the 70s and 80s

He and Jaques Cousteau were our only two good sources back then.

Willie
10-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Axelrod wrote EVERY fish book in the 70s and 80s...

Actually every book Axelrod authored in the 70's and 80's was ghost written by someone else. I've spoken to two ghost writers.

Vinni Smith
10-21-2020, 07:32 PM
Actually every book Axelrod authored in the 70's and 80's was ghost written by someone else. I've spoken to two ghost writers.

Yeah, I believe that.

Iminit
10-21-2020, 08:05 PM
Yes Axelrod had his name on a lot of books but Innes wrote the handbook!129269

peewee1
10-21-2020, 08:46 PM
That's the book I had. I thought it was an Axelrod. There may have been another Alelrod but this is one of the book that I had.

TacoLoco7
10-23-2020, 11:17 PM
I was given 4 beautiful 4 inch discus from miranda last week on Thursday, 2 red Marlboro and 2 albino yellow Marlboro (4 inches). 1 died 2 days for unknown reason. It was one of the yellow Marlboro, it didnt eat at all and was always breathing fast at the front corner of the tank. Sometimes it schooled with the others, and sometime isolated itself. No clamped fins or anything. No external problems were seen. So I assumed it could have been an internal parasite and something was wrong with it. It didn last a week in the tank. Two of them eat like crazy on the beef heart. They also started eating mysis shrimp yesterday! The only thing I'm concerned is one of the marlboro isnt eating much. Whenever its feeding time, I put the beefheart in, sit back (7 feet away), and observe. The two eaters seem to push away the other discus that dorsnt eat much. When he goes near the food, he doesnt show interest in the food like the others. I haven seen anywhere stringy poop, so I'm assuming theres no internal parasites. Since the other discus died, I have put the beefheart in a metro solution just for precautions incase there was an internal parasite going on. Does anyone know they think why the discus isn't earing much like the others? I feel like it could be aggression and they are not letting the single discus eat.

TacoLoco7
10-23-2020, 11:21 PM
Forgot to mention. Before I was given the discus, I had prepared a qt tank for them. Before I walked out of her store, I asked for her opinion whether I should treat immediately for any internal parasite or only treat if there are symptoms. She told me she qt them for a month, so then I asked her if I should quarantine. She responded with a no since I had no other discus present in my aquarium.

TacoLoco7
10-26-2020, 10:39 PM
Anyone here?

peewee1
10-26-2020, 11:24 PM
Forgot to mention. Before I was given the discus, I had prepared a qt tank for them. Before I walked out of her store, I asked for her opinion whether I should treat immediately for any internal parasite or only treat if there are symptoms. She told me she qt them for a month, so then I asked her if I should quarantine. She responded with a no since I had no other discus present in my aquarium.

That would be correct. Not all fish have same apatite. Put different food at different area of aquarium. Some food floating, some mid way, and some sink to bottom. Some fish will peck at food on surface and some will eat later at bottom. Try all.

TacoLoco7
10-27-2020, 12:30 AM
That would be correct. Not all fish have same apatite. Put different food at different area of aquarium. Some food floating, some mid way, and some sink to bottom. Some fish will peck at food on surface and some will eat later at bottom. Try all.

I do, but it still doesn't seem to want to eat it. I observe the fish for at least half an hour every day. The red Marlboro that doesnt eat seems perge tly fine, schools with the others, and doesnt breathe fast. I have not seen the red Marlboro that dorsnt eat poop, but the other I have and have normal waste. Maybe it can have an internal parasite. When the albino yellow Marlboro died last week (Wednesday), it barely school with the others, it breathed fast, and was always at the corner of the tank. It didnt have clamped fins or darken, it just was like that most of the time. I have done what you said by leaving some to flat and sink, and putting the food on opposite sides, but still refuses it. I shot a video during feeding time and when the red Marlboro went near the food to eat, the other red Marlboro always pushes him away. Do you think this can be due to aggresion since I sometimes see both the discus pick at him or an internal parasite (I havent seen ang white string poop )? All discus ars fat and healthy.

peewee1
10-27-2020, 01:31 AM
Discus can live for weeks without food. I would not put medication, keep water around 85 to 87 degrees for two or three weeks, change water at 25% every other day. Put variety of food. Do you have Al's freeze dry black worms? All fish seem to like them.

Second Hand Pat
10-27-2020, 07:21 AM
Kevin, whats happening with your ammonia and nitrites?
Pat

Vinni Smith
10-27-2020, 10:18 AM
I do, but it still doesn't seem to want to eat it. I observe the fish for at least half an hour every day. The red Marlboro that doesnt eat seems perge tly fine, schools with the others, and doesnt breathe fast. I have not seen the red Marlboro that dorsnt eat poop, but the other I have and have normal waste. Maybe it can have an internal parasite. When the albino yellow Marlboro died last week (Wednesday), it barely school with the others, it breathed fast, and was always at the corner of the tank. It didnt have clamped fins or darken, it just was like that most of the time. I have done what you said by leaving some to flat and sink, and putting the food on opposite sides, but still refuses it. I shot a video during feeding time and when the red Marlboro went near the food to eat, the other red Marlboro always pushes him away. Do you think this can be due to aggresion since I sometimes see both the discus pick at him or an internal parasite (I havent seen ang white string poop )? All discus ars fat and healthy.

I have noticed BIGTIME that not all discus are created equally. Some are very fast aggressive eaters. Some just stay back and wait for the frenzy to be over.
I do not follow the instructions to only feed enough food that they will eat in 5 minutes. If I did that, some would not eat at all.
We do feed a big variety of FD foods and flakes, but I really like to feed frozen foods the best.
Hikari FBW, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Chiclid Delight and a special Hikari frozen Discus blend.
I find that the frozen foods cause less of a threat if left in the tank for a while.
So, I throw in enough to last for about 15 minutes, twice daily.
Everyone gets plenty and everyone seems happy with this arrangement.
I do also have 2 black Moores in the tank, so really, nothing sits for any amount of time.

TacoLoco7
10-27-2020, 11:06 AM
Discus can live for weeks without food. I would not put medication, keep water around 85 to 87 degrees for two or three weeks, change water at 25% every other day. Put variety of food. Do you have Al's freeze dry black worms? All fish seem to like them.

I feed them frozen beefheart and hikari frozen mysis, sometimes I throw in garlic pellets from nls, but they don't show interest in it.

TacoLoco7
10-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Kevin, whats happening with your ammonia and nitrites?
Pat

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

fljones3
10-27-2020, 12:06 PM
How are your water changes? Daily, every other day, weekly?

I was given 4 beautiful 4 inch discus from miranda last week on Thursday, 2 red Marlboro and 2 albino yellow Marlboro (4 inches). 1 died 2 days for unknown reason. It was one of the yellow Marlboro, it didnt eat at all and was always breathing fast at the front corner of the tank. Sometimes it schooled with the others, and sometime isolated itself. No clamped fins or anything. No external problems were seen. So I assumed it could have been an internal parasite and something was wrong with it. It didn last a week in the tank. Two of them eat like crazy on the beef heart. They also started eating mysis shrimp yesterday! The only thing I'm concerned is one of the marlboro isnt eating much. Whenever its feeding time, I put the beefheart in, sit back (7 feet away), and observe. The two eaters seem to push away the other discus that dorsnt eat much. When he goes near the food, he doesnt show interest in the food like the others. I haven seen anywhere stringy poop, so I'm assuming theres no internal parasites. Since the other discus died, I have put the beefheart in a metro solution just for precautions incase there was an internal parasite going on. Does anyone know they think why the discus isn't earing much like the others? I feel like it could be aggression and they are not letting the single discus eat.

TacoLoco7
10-27-2020, 12:11 PM
How are your water changes? Daily, every other day, weekly?

2 50% waterchanges a week. I used to do them saturday and Wednesday, but my school has a new schedule now. So I do 50% on saturday and sunday so I dont fluctuate co2 levels ( I do them in the morning when pH of the aged water matches the tank pH)

Vinni Smith
10-27-2020, 02:33 PM

I have noticed BIGTIME that not all discus are created equally. Some are very fast aggressive eaters. Some just stay back and wait for the frenzy to be over.
I do not follow the instructions to only feed enough food that they will eat in 5 minutes. If I did that, some would not eat at all.
We do feed a big variety of FD foods and flakes, but I really like to feed frozen foods the best.
Hikari FBW, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Chiclid Delight and a special Hikari frozen Discus blend.
I find that the frozen foods cause less of a threat if left in the tank for a while.
I do also have 2 black Moores in the tank, so really, nothing sits for any amount of time.

TacoLoco7
10-27-2020, 03:16 PM

So should I just give the discus that doesnt eat more time? I do waht you said, but I leave the beefheart in for an hour so they can eat calmly and I then I take it. Even in those 2 hours, it still doesnt eat. Even if there is food on the other side of the tank, if he goes by it, and it doesnt show interest towards the food. It look fat and healthy, schools with the others, and breathes normally.

Vinni Smith
10-27-2020, 05:53 PM
So should I just give the discus that doesnt eat more time? I do waht you said, but I leave the beefheart in for an hour so they can eat calmly and I then I take it. Even in those 2 hours, it still doesnt eat. Even if there is food on the other side of the tank, if he goes by it, and it doesnt show interest towards the food. It look fat and healthy, schools with the others, and breathes normally.

I don't feed Beefheart. That stuff is just too messy for my tank. I would also be afraid to leave it in the tank for much time.
I have tried feeding that stuff and I just don't think it is worth it to me.

Some of the more advanced discus keepers here on the forum may answer the beef heart thing better than I.

RickyB
02-03-2021, 08:04 PM
Taco, I'm on week six of a yellow melon that I don't see eat. Yet, he looks ok, does not show signs of emaciation, and does not have clamped fins. To look at him, you'd think he eats like a horse. So, with the help of people on this forum, they told me not to worry about it, and that he's getting nourishment from somewhere. Perhaps he eats from the bottom when the lights are out. Keep an eye on him but it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about yet.

Willie
02-03-2021, 08:27 PM
I have noticed BIGTIME that not all discus are created equally. Some are very fast aggressive eaters. Some just stay back and wait for the frenzy to be over....

Exactly. I have some fish that seem to rarely eat, but of course they do. They just don't want to jump in the fray and prefer to wait. If you move that fish into its own tank and drop in some food, that same fish will eat it right away. I feed both beefheart and dry food and I've observed the same behavior with both types of food.