PDA

View Full Version : how many fish tanks do you have?

LizStreithorst
06-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Not just how many
where are they located
how many are devoted to Discus
If some are devoted to other fish, what fish are they?

I'll have to answer my first question when I go to the fish room in the morning and count. The number of tanks I have is always changing.

jeep
06-07-2020, 09:39 PM
I have 6 tanks dedicated to discus, one tank dedicated to ABN's (soon to be 3 tanks) and 5 more sitting empty. All but the ABN tank are in my finally remodeled fish room/spare bedroom. After I finish the next phase of my remodeling project, I'm planning on a 200+g tank.

peewee1
06-07-2020, 09:53 PM
I started with 2, I made them myself. Then 5, 4 for discus breeding and 1 saltwater. Marriage ended it all but I did manage to sneak a small community tank into the baby's room. To this day Little Ricky tell's me how much he enjoyed watching the fish as he lay in bed as he was going to sleep. Then none. But now 2. One for the general population of discus and 1 breeding tank. I would have more but it was a battle just getting the breeding tank. When LR finishes his study and moves out I suspect I will be able to expand my empire unabated.

brewmaster15
06-07-2020, 10:29 PM
Living room.. 125 g discus

Office..1 each 75 gal, 4 each 55 gals,1 ea 29 gal breeder,2 each 40 gal breeders... all discus. ONE 40 gal breeder leopard plecos

Fish room
1 each 125 gal
2 each 75 gal
2 each 55 gal
8 each 29 gal breeders
All discus

2 each 10 gal bristle nose tanks

Thats about it currently ..Im at a relatively conservative tank number for me.

AL

danotaylor
06-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Right now I do not have any discus :(

I have 2 x 125gals, one in eat in kitchen, one in basement. My wife's fav fish is the Texas cichlid so I have a CA display in the kitchen. In the basement tank I have a group of 7 wild aequidens diadama from Rio Jenaro Herrera in Peru, and some gold Barb's, roseline Barb's and a few other. The tank is divided because the "peaceful" aquedens annihilated a bunch of 2-3" tetra's and barb's, lol. 1 of the males is sitting on eggs this am. I am hoping they hatch this time as this aquedens variety substrate spawn but then mouth brood the fry. Here's a few pics of them...

Shan_Evolved
06-08-2020, 09:59 AM
@Al

Holy tanks! That's quite a number! I bet it's amazing to see so many discus. The amount of hard work and determination to have that many tanks is nothing to scoff at. Keep being our inspiration man.

@dano

Wow those photos are amazing. Your texas chiclid tank setup looks legit amazing. No brainer one of those tanks that leave you breathless and stare at for hours. Crystal clear water. :guitarist:

As for myself. I still consider myself a newbie (at least until I can keep discus properly), and I have one 55 and a 10g for a pleco and some tetras. I'll definitely upgrade in the future, but it's hard to have more room to put tanks in a 1200 sqft townhome. Also the boss lady says no

brewmaster15
06-08-2020, 10:06 AM

I have 2 x 125gals, one in eat in kitchen, one in basement. My wife's fav fish is the Texas cichlid so I have a CA display in the kitchen. In the basement tank I have a group of 7 wild aequidens diadama from Rio Jenaro Herrera in Peru, and some gold Barb's, roseline Barb's and a few other. The tank is divided because the "peaceful" aquedens annihilated a bunch of 2-3" tetra's and barb's, lol. 1 of the males is sitting on eggs this am. I am hoping they hatch this time as this aquedens variety substrate spawn but then mouth brood the fry. Here's a few pics of them...

Beautiful Fish Danny, Bruisers but beautiful ones!!

al

LizStreithorst
06-08-2020, 10:23 AM
I just counted mine up. I have 24 in all.
a 125 rainbow fish tank and 30 a red shrimp tank in the office
In the fish room there are 2 40 breeders one with a Discus pair, one sitting empty waiting for another pair 20 with some plecos, magenta mystery snails, and some red shrimp that found their way in there on plants
1 29 with blue shrimp and another with Discus grow outs, 1 with tiny Pearl Gourami babies and Long finned Albino BN
6 60 wides
4 are sitting empty, one houses a bunch of Bristlenose another has some tiny bosemani rainbow fish babies
2 90's sitting empty
3 100's 1 is a community Discus tank, one planted that used to house the Discus for a while but now dedicated to Sterbais L144 bristle nose, and (please forigve me) a ton of young red Platy's and 1 sitting empty
4 10's 3 for rams and 1 sitting empty
1 5 gallon, empty
also, I have a 20 and 29 that I am using to age water
I think that's it.

A few years back a lot of these tanks were slam full of angles, but I got tired of them and sold them all.

danotaylor
06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
You got it goin on Liz...dang girl...love the varoety...I didn't mean to hijack your thread with pics of my aquedens mate, sorry...

Al that's a bunch you have goin on as well...you go bloke!!

@Shan.. thanks mate...the pictures tank is the aquedens tank in the basement though...here's a FTS of the Texas tank...it's a little tannin stained from all the wood but you get the idea...

fljones3
06-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Neat. I love it.

Discluv
06-08-2020, 11:47 AM
8 tanks

1 - 60 gallon with discus pair, dark ram pair, and (temporarily- 30 Ram fry).
1- 180- discus, geophagus sveni, biotodoma cupidos, 4 different varieties of African tetras, dark Ram pair, altum angels
1- 30 gallon- otocinclus, wild shrimp, and Royal blue Orange eye tiger shrimp, c, babaulti 'zebra' shrimp.
1-30 gallon- 2 pair of EBR/GBR (all rams in my tanks from Tom, of course) and 35 dark ram fry.
1 -9 gallon - 10 Pure Red line shrimp
1-5.4 Gallon- 10 Pure Black Line Shrimp
1-5 Gallon- Countless Golden- back Yellow Neo's and OE Royal Blue tigers
1-10 Gallon- at present one pair of EBR/GBR for breeding.

Yeah, Im a little crazy about shrimp. :)

Here is a video of the Golden- back Yellow Neo's and OE Royal Blue tigers
https://vimeo.com/383193280

A video of the beautiful EBR's/GBR's got from Tom recently:

https://vimeo.com/424235767

BrendanJ23
06-08-2020, 03:49 PM
4 tanks.
1 tank(180 gal) to discus located in the wall between the lounge room and my office. Then in my office I have 2 16 Gal HT/QT and 75 gal dedicated to red cherry shrimp that I sell on the side.

brewmaster15
06-08-2020, 05:02 PM
4 tanks.
7 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful
Brendan,
I like the species list.. mines similar
"Lots of Discus, 7 Red footed Tortoises , 2 pairs albino Rat Snakes, 4 juvenile rat snakes, 8 Chickens, 3 cats, 2 kids, and a wife..Phew ...what a mouthful.:evilgrin:

al

LizStreithorst
06-08-2020, 05:20 PM
In that case I'll add 20 chickens, 6 dogs, a horse and a cat.

coralbandit
06-08-2020, 05:56 PM
I have 50 tanks running now ,not one empty but some lightly stocked ,some not so lightly !
3 of them are housing discus and the rest go to swordtails and rams .
1 65g has all my angels still as I have not split them up proper yet ..
I do not count my 180g in my living room ever when I count tanks or my 120g reef and 75g paladarium .None of those tanks are in the fish room[s] so they don't really count , right ?
When I drilled a hole in my living room floor to run my sump for the 180 in the basement that was the beginning of the fish room[s] I love so much today .
A day without fish is like a day without sunshine IMO …
I was told I would know when I was getting carried away ..Those people are lucky I am running out of room for more tanks !:p

pastry
06-08-2020, 08:20 PM
I started with 2, I made them myself. Then 5, 4 for discus breeding and 1 saltwater. Marriage ended it all but I did manage to sneak a small community tank into the baby's room. To this day Little Ricky tell's me how much he enjoyed watching the fish as he lay in bed as he was going to sleep. Then none. But now 2. One for the general population of discus and 1 breeding tank. I would have more but it was a battle just getting the breeding tank. When LR finishes his study and moves out I suspect I will be able to expand my empire unabated.

LMAO... I "set one up in kids room... for the kids <wink wink>". So yeah, I have 2

150 gallon show tank
26 gallon "for the kids" tank

Also have a 30 gallon in my wife's class room... but she stinks a WCs so (it's still good looking though) so if I have fish I don't want, I send them with her to school

Yeah, marriage has constricted my hobby. But moving soon as we find bigger house and planning to have new show tank (current 150 will be BB and out of site), 2-3 30 gallons, and (Elliot's dumb idea) an outside pond for throwing any fry into if I run out of space (approx 2000 gallons objective... will scoop out good looking ones prior to short Charleston winters).

peewee1
06-08-2020, 10:33 PM
LMAO... I "set one up in kids room... for the kids <wink wink>". So yeah, I have 2

150 gallon show tank
26 gallon "for the kids" tank

Also have a 30 gallon in my wife's class room... but she stinks a WCs so (it's still good looking though) so if I have fish I don't want, I send them with her to school

Yeah, marriage has constricted my hobby. But moving soon as we find bigger house and planning to have new show tank (current 150 will be BB and out of site), 2-3 30 gallons, and (Elliot's dumb idea) an outside pond for throwing any fry into if I run out of space (approx 2000 gallons objective... will scoop out good looking ones prior to short Charleston winters).

I could imagine if I had a wife what I might have to do to get a tank. Little Ricky is worse. Try winning an argument with a lawyer if he is in opposition of that which you propose to do. I did get the second tank but ran into the stonewall when I mentioned buying more fish from Kenny. I wanted 3 and was able to semi negotiate one. But I made that one count big time! If the summertime temperature could at least maintain 78 degrees you might get some discus out there as long as the Raccoons did did not find them.

pastry
06-09-2020, 01:11 AM
That's what the multi-pnuematic BB gun and solar powered motion detection lights are for... raccoon will be walking funny after I'm done with it... if my bird dogs don't get'm first! But yeah, totally would have loooow expectations with any thrown in pond. Wouldn't be throwing any in there that I purchased (well... maybe that BS Pigeon blood Mac's discus sent me and tried telling me it was the RR I ordered)

peewee1
06-09-2020, 01:37 AM
Maybe by the time you were done sorting frys the not so goods could be candidates for the pond? Now you with your pond got me to thinking. I have a spare bathroom in my house with tub. I put a heater into that bathtub, get the temp up to 80, dump a wad of fry in there, and Viola!! I got me a grow out tank. Plus think how easy it would be to water change. Open the drain, draw down the water, turn on the tap, filler' back up. Add the Prime. When I was a runt, maybe 8, I would fill the tub and dump my goldfish in there while I was cleaning their fishbowl. My mom about died ever time she went into the bathroom and spotted those fish in there. Scream like a nighthawk, she would.

BrendanJ23
06-09-2020, 04:08 AM
Brendan,
I like the species list.. mines similar
"Lots of Discus, 7 Red footed Tortoises , 2 pairs albino Rat Snakes, 4 juvenile rat snakes, 8 Chickens, 3 cats, 2 kids, and a wife..Phew ...what a mouthful.:evilgrin:

al

LOL. Please feel free to share some pictures! I’d love to see them!

pm9ljr
06-09-2020, 05:34 AM
1 - 65 Gallon in Den with 7 discus 5 neon tetras and 5 Sterbai
1 - 29 Gallon in Den with 2 discus
1 - 10 Gallon - no fish to be used as quarantine if needed (will upgrade if the Den fairy enlarges room
1 - 29 Gallon in washroom for aging water for daily changes

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Let's see....

I have a small utility area (room) next to the garage where I keep two 40 breeders, two 75s and a divided 10. The 40 breeders (eight each) house the 16 F1s I am growing out from Al. One 75 has 10 wilds with mostly Heckels and the other 75 has my five remaining growout domestics from Al and a few assorted wilds. The 10 has a dark ram pair from Tom and on the other side a small group of F1 checkerboard cichlids I am growing out.

In the sunroom I have a 50 with 11 semi-dark rams who have paired up and spar with each other and build nests the rest of the time. In the kitchen I have a 9 with guppies lol.

In the family room a 230 which is empty but in the process of coming online soon. Have a 180 in the living room I should do something with.

So nine tanks total.
Pat

peewee1
06-09-2020, 12:07 PM
Gee! Tanks for sharing, Pat!

LizStreithorst
06-09-2020, 12:32 PM
If you keep guppy's I need to feel no guilt by keeping Platy's. What do you do with all the kids?

peewee1
06-09-2020, 12:43 PM
I had thought about putting guppy in my discus tank because they are so prolific that there would be a live food source for the discus from the guppy fry.

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2020, 12:45 PM
If you keep guppy's I need to feel no guilt by keeping Platy's. What do you do with all the kids?

I am raising some and gave some to my daughter.
Pat

Second Hand Pat
06-09-2020, 12:46 PM
I had thought about putting guppy in my discus tank because they are so prolific that there would be a live food source for the discus from the guppy fry.

I am not mixing the guppies with discus. The guppies prefer a cooler tank I think.
Pat

LizStreithorst
06-09-2020, 12:56 PM

I tried that once. The guppys did fine, bred like crazy and the Discus totally ignored the fry. Never again.

CliffsDiscus
06-09-2020, 01:32 PM
I lost count of how many tanks, but my guess would be around 85 to 95 tanks. 75 Discus tanks and about the rest were community tanks.
My down side is that now with the coronavirus I'm down to around half of the
tanks.

Cliff

Willie
06-09-2020, 04:10 PM
I tried that once. The guppys did fine, bred like crazy and the Discus totally ignored the fry. Never again.

My friend raised altum angels and had the bright idea of putting in Endlers. His idea was that the Endler fry would keep his angels occupied. Now he has a tank of big altum angels and tons of Endlers that he can't catch. :p

peewee1
06-09-2020, 10:06 PM

Thanks for saving me time and money. I thought it to be a good idea. The guppy must taste funny to the discus.

gunnerschh2
07-17-2020, 01:41 PM
Too many. 450 rift lake, 210 discus, 55 sa ciclids, 45 1 severm & small ones, 150 severms & 1 lone rummy nose & 2 l201, 42 bow 2 blk. lace angel veil &1 severm, 2 qt 30 gals. 1 has 12 sterbi,3 veil marble angels, other has 12 cherry barbs & 20 rummy nose. NO MASS.

FischAutoTechGarten
07-20-2020, 01:05 PM
I'll reply... only because by poking fun of myself, I might get this project finished.
I have 10 tanks. So let me give you the break down:

1 5gal.. In use... Planted with amano shrimp and otocinclus catfish.
1 10gal.... stored quarantine tank.
2X 20gal Long .... broken..... about 1/2 way through repairing on of them... if only to learn the skills of panel replacement and resealing..
2X 20gal Long .... de-rimmed and drilled to become a large 2 chamber sump w/ refugium for my new mini rack.
4X 20gal Long.... de-rimmed, drilled and cleaned to become the 4 display tanks of my new mini rack..

I know..... i've dragged this out for wayyyyy too long....

KylieShorta
07-22-2020, 08:57 AM
Hi, I'm new to this, so I only have a small aquarium and a fish pond in my backyard.

snxtif
07-23-2020, 12:03 AM
Holy macaroni, some members have 10+ tanks...

and I'm here feeling sick of doing WC for my 2 tanks...

pablos
07-23-2020, 01:52 AM
I'll reply... only because by poking fun of myself, I might get this project finished.
I have 10 tanks. So let me give you the break down:

1 5gal.. In use... Planted with amano shrimp and otocinclus catfish.
1 10gal.... stored quarantine tank.
2X 20gal Long .... broken..... about 1/2 way through repairing on of them... if only to learn the skills of panel replacement and resealing..
2X 20gal Long .... de-rimmed and drilled to become a large 2 chamber sump w/ refugium for my new mini rack.
4X 20gal Long.... de-rimmed, drilled and cleaned to become the 4 display tanks of my new mini rack..

I know..... i've dragged this out for wayyyyy too long....

Where do you keep your discus?

FischAutoTechGarten
07-29-2020, 08:20 PM
Where do you keep your discus?

Pablos,
I haven't kept discus in many, many years (15), because I move back and forth between two countries. I keep a 20L in one home, and a 5gal in the other.... and yes, each of them gets torn down every 5 months or so and stored and then started back up 7 months later. We are done with that phase of life, hence the mini-rack project. I'm enjoying dwarf cichlids and some native caught species now-adays simply because of the smaller water change requirements (both places were desert locations). I will do Discus and Altums again one day.

That said, I still enjoy coming here to SimplyDiscus. Good folks here!

LizStreithorst
07-29-2020, 08:24 PM
I agree, Peter. But it's nice to hear someone else toot our horn for us.

FischAutoTechGarten
08-03-2020, 02:43 PM
There is no question Liz .... the Discus is the King of the Aquarium... anyone who can enjoy success with them is definitely someone that you can learn from... even if you aren't keeping discus.... so many of the good habits and husbandry skills and practices can be adopted. Discus keepers are some of the absolute finest fishkeepers of other species as well. I really only come here and plantedtank.net. ocassionally I head over to a south african site just to see if Marcos has updated any threads there with his Rams..... I bump over to Reef2Reef just because there are two guys over there building their own aquarium controllers like me.... and I go over to the Barr Report, just so Tom Barr and the other contributers can 'learn me some advanced chemistry'.

But, I'll be honest, it's only over here on SimplyDiscus that I know so many of the long term members by their names. I do miss all of the FishRoom / BreedingRack builds we used to have here.... We need some cold winters so folks will build a few new ones...

Holy cow Harry G. you have so many large aquariums!

fljones3
08-03-2020, 03:22 PM
I have 3 tanks presently - all in a spare bedroom devoted to being a Study. :) The loft area is a library.
I have a 75g and a 40b - both devoted to discus. I also have a 30g which has several functions, either QT or HT as needed.
The 30g resides in my closet until needed. At that point it's brought out into the room.

The part that may be interesting is that I am in the planning stages of squeezing into the room a 120-150g. I am thinking about a sump for filtration but that would be new for me. I have only used sponge filters and one canister in my previous setups. If I do this, this tank will be devoted to my adult wilds, with perhaps some of Tom's rams :) (still in planning stage). It will cost me one of my two desks, I think. I have engineered the project and my wife is architecting the project to ensure it looks nice. :D

Otherwise, my study is not a fish room -- it's a discus room in which they permit me to study when they are not distracting me. :)

Frank

Not just how many
where are they located
how many are devoted to Discus
If some are devoted to other fish, what fish are they?

I'll have to answer my first question when I go to the fish room in the morning and count. The number of tanks I have is always changing.

dornblaser
08-03-2020, 05:20 PM
I have been out of aquariums for decades, but a couple of years ago I purchased a building that was built in the 1890s that I use the first floor to run a charity that I started that houses the homeless; I also have for profit businesses. It is a huge space, ~1,600 sq ft that has numerous seating areas, lots of plants, and five aquariums from 20 - 75 gallons, all of which are all planted or are aquascaped tanks; the fish are primarily South American. I have a 68g tank ordered and I will be ordering a 118g tank soon. I won't make it to 10 tanks, the last two tanks will be the last, at least according to my current thinking. The original idea pre-pandemic was to create a non-threatening environment to interview and talk to potential residents and to have social events. Everyone loves the fish tanks, I even have had meetings in front of the 75g! With COVID the office has become a large study for me as we do our meetings and interviews via Zoom. Hopefully, we will have people in the office again.

fljones3
08-03-2020, 05:36 PM
David, that's neat.
Where are you ordering your 118g from?

I have been out of aquariums for decades, but a couple of years ago I purchased a building that was built in the 1890s that I use the first floor to run a charity that I started that houses the homeless; I also have for profit businesses. It is a huge space, ~1,600 sq ft that has numerous seating areas, lots of plants, and five aquariums from 20 - 75 gallons, all of which are all planted or are aquascaped tanks; the fish are primarily South American. I have a 68g tank ordered and I will be ordering a 118g tank soon. I won't make it to 10 tanks, the last two tanks will be the last, at least according to my current thinking. The original idea pre-pandemic was to create a non-threatening environment to interview and talk to potential residents and to have social events. Everyone loves the fish tanks, I even have had meetings in front of the 75g! With COVID the office has become a large study for me as we do our meetings and interviews via Zoom. Hopefully, we will have people in the office again.

dornblaser
08-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Thanks. Actually it is 115g. UNS 120u from Buceplant.com although there are other good aquascaping stores that sell UNS tanks and stands.