PDA

View Full Version : Bad BAD NEWS!

Vinni Smith
06-24-2020, 11:37 PM
Started the WC tonight and noticed the bottom right of the new acrylic tank is cracking in about a dozen places, just in one spot.
See pics below.
Was afraid it would explode in the middle of the night.
Even though insurance would cover it, I still don't want the damage or dead fish.
I have about $1K of discus now.

Transfered all the fish into the QT tank with the others that were there.
No choice, really.
Everyone seems ok and happy actually but they are crowded a bit.
14 discus in 56 gallons and about 25 rummynose with 4 mollies.
Gonna be some major water changes there until this is all corrected.

Will call the guys that made it tomorrow morning first thing.
Just don't know what to do.

I would just go buy a store bought one but the corner the tank is in is such an odd size.

fljones3
06-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Sorry, Vinnie. I’m glad you saw it.

Vinni Smith
06-25-2020, 12:15 AM
It must have just happened.
The cracks are getting longer as the evening is going on.
I have emptied the tank now.

danotaylor
06-25-2020, 12:18 AM
Wow, that's crazy...those are some obscure looking cracks. Looks to be a product or production defect emerging for sure Vinnie. Keep us posted on what the manufacturer says. Sorry for your troubles, but we'll spotted!!

coralbandit
06-25-2020, 04:29 AM
Good eye !
Always better safe then sorry .
I suspect a replacement or repair may take some time ...

Shan_Evolved
06-25-2020, 06:24 AM
Damn man I would be pissssed. An ACRYLIC tank? >:(

Sorry mate

fljones3
06-25-2020, 07:56 AM
I would be uneasy with a repair.

Good eye !
Always better safe then sorry .
I suspect a replacement or repair may take some time ...

Vinni Smith
06-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Here is Josh's answer to me this morning via email...

I have forwarded this to the manufacturer to get answers, in the mean time I'm going to build you another tank out of the same material I used to build my sons tank. Mike said something about having trouble routing it as well. As soon as I get a response from the manufacturer I'll message you.

We will get it taken care of today so I can get a replacement to you sometime tomorrow which will be ready to put water in Saturday.

Thank you sir!

danotaylor
06-25-2020, 09:04 AM
Good service :thumbsup:

peewee1
06-25-2020, 09:07 AM
Really good customer service, Vinni. This will take them a day to replace that which took them several weeks for them to build the original one for you?

fljones3
06-25-2020, 09:19 AM
GREAT response.

Here is Josh's answer to me this morning via email...

I have forwarded this to the manufacturer to get answers, in the mean time I'm going to build you another tank out of the same material I used to build my sons tank. Mike said something about having trouble routing it as well. As soon as I get a response from the manufacturer I'll message you.

We will get it taken care of today so I can get a replacement to you sometime tomorrow which will be ready to put water in Saturday.

Thank you sir!

jeep
06-25-2020, 09:45 AM
Wow, it's a good thing it happened while you were still up. It sounds like they are going to take care of you, and good for them, but it's still a huge inconvenience. This is what make me nervous about this hobby. My house has nearly all hardwood floors...

LizStreithorst
06-25-2020, 10:26 AM
I'm glad the guy took this seriously and is taking care of you as best he can. He has a customer for life now, plus all the good words you will say about him won't do him any harm.

Vinni Smith
06-25-2020, 11:32 AM
Here is a pic of my QT / Emergency Tank.
I was very worried about it being too crowded, but they are LOVING these digs!
56 gallons.

BTW they are all in with the fish I got last week from Miranda
2 yellow
1 pigeon
1 red / white face
They are all still doing FANTASTIC!

Thanks for the concern everyone.

VincenZo

Willie
06-25-2020, 11:34 AM
Wow! That's a perfect tank for large water changes. :p :p :p

Vinni Smith
06-25-2020, 11:46 AM

Yeah, yeah. I guess so! LOL

Iminit
06-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Wow Vinni that sucks! Great that you noticed it. Did it leak? Good thing you had a back up tank! Well that’s great theyre building you a new one. Real nice to hear they are replacing so quickly. Hoping for the best! The discus look great!

Vinni Smith
06-25-2020, 09:37 PM
Wow Vinni that sucks! Great that you noticed it. Did it leak? Good thing you had a back up tank! Well that’s great theyre building you a new one. Real nice to hear they are replacing so quickly. Hoping for the best! The discus look great!

Thanks bro. Yeah, Josh is a great guy. I buy a lot of acrylic from them. That is what our guitar picks are made of. Dealt with those guys for years.

One good thing coming out of this whole issue... Since they are recutting the acrylic, I redesigned the top. I did not make the access holes quite big enough the first time around. HOB filter did not fit down into the tank quite as nice as I had hoped it would. Also, it was a bit hard to get to the front of the tank to wipe it off. I think those issues will be corrected the 2nd time around.

Iminit
06-26-2020, 11:04 PM
Nice! What are they doing with the old tank? Did the new one come yet? Best of luck with it!

Vinni Smith
06-27-2020, 04:39 PM
Nice! What are they doing with the old tank? Did the new one come yet? Best of luck with it!

I'm not sure what he is going to want me to do with the tank.
If he wants it back, I will return it.
If he does not, I may sell it as a reptile tank.

Here is his letter to me yesterday...

I wanted to give you an update, the manufacturer is giving us a credit for the material which is huge! This is only the second time we’ve been reimbursed for bad material. Unfortunately with the addition of our new cnc router the air compressor we’ve had since 1950 finally played out and without 14 cfm of air neither machine runs. Long story short, I am down until they come install the new air compressor which is supposed to be Monday. Your parts will be the first thing we run so I’ll let you know when they come off the router and let you know when it’ll be ready for pick up.

Thank you sir!

LizStreithorst
06-27-2020, 05:03 PM
That's impressive! I'm glad that the Discus are happy in their new, smaller tank until the new one is ready.

peewee1
06-27-2020, 05:26 PM
Vinni, you are providing us with a good example of what it means to buy from a reputable company. And good for you for doing so.

danotaylor
06-27-2020, 09:38 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vinni Smith
07-01-2020, 09:25 AM

You would be proud of me to know I have indeed been doing 50% WC daily since my tank mishap. 14 discus in 56 gallons seems just too crowded to me and it seems parameters can get out of whack real fast. Don't want that to happen!

The new tank is not ready yet. They had a break-down of equipment at the shop. It is really not a problem that I see at this point. Everyone is doing very well, even though they are crowded.

It almost seems they like being crowded more than they like wide open spaces. Is that the case? They don't even mind the dreaded siphon tube lately. They come over and pick on it during the WC.

Since the tank is downstairs, I have been leaving the room lights on and only the blue lights on the aquarium. It think the blue seems to calm them more than full spectrum. Is that true?

That's all for now,

V

peewee1
07-01-2020, 09:37 AM
The blue is supposed to replicate the moon in a fish's world. Fish sleep but they also need to be aware of nocturnal predators so one would reason that they need to seen one coming at all times. A dim light but enough to see would seem to reduce stress at all times.

LizStreithorst
07-02-2020, 06:53 PM
I would be doing more than 50 percent daily, but that's just me. I'm not as obsessed as Willie with WC but if I had 14 Discus in a 55 I'd be doing around 75 percent. Just keep an eye on the fish. They'll tell you if you're doing enough.

Vinni Smith
07-02-2020, 09:32 PM
I would be doing more than 50 percent daily, but that's just me. I'm not as obsessed as Willie with WC but if I had 14 Discus in a 55 I'd be doing around 75 percent. Just keep an eye on the fish. They'll tell you if you're doing enough.

Funny you should say that Liz. I did about 75% tonight.

Everyone is doing fantastic except one. Before I met you folks, I ordered 5 fish from a dealer and all the rest came from Hans, Miranda and Macs. Well, 2 are remaining out of the 5. One is FANTASTIC, the other quit eating as soon as I moved them all into the smaller tank. He wasn't doing that great before the move. If he gets any skinnier, I am going to give him the adios as much as I hate doing that. SO, I will end up with only 1 out of the 5 from that batch. That stinks!

Willie
07-03-2020, 08:34 AM
So let me explain why I do a 100% water change daily.

When I started keeping discus, I did 100% weekly. The adults did fine, but the younger fish clearly did not grow as well as they could have. So after a decade of frustration, I'd come home after work, pop in the Python, siphon out 30% of the water and refilled the tank.

I had one of those high pressure, sales jobs. By the time I got home, I was totally beat. Inevitably I would nod off in the fish room waiting for the water to drain. At some point, I'd wake up when the Python loses the suction and popped out. So 30% became 40%, which became 50%, then 60%. When the water changes reached 70%, I became more more refreshed and a solution for consistent water changes became obvious.

When water level reaches the bottom of the tank, the discus turn into flying pancakes. So 100% water changes provide a refreshing rest and allowed me to be a good parent and spouse for the rest of the evening. Nowadays, a high pressure job is no longer necessary to induce napping.

And the discus grow like bull elephants!

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 06:23 PM
OK Willie.
You would be proud of me. I did a 90% WC today. Yep.
Now, please know, I don't shy away from doing them because I am busy. Every day is a Saturday for me and I have all the time I need. However, It just has always seemed to be counter productive in my mind. With the stress on the fish and the bacteria getting adequate food.
Up until today I have been doing 50% daily.
But, I am going to continue doing this 90% at least until the new acrylic replacement aquarium shows up and the fish are moved back into it.

LizStreithorst
07-03-2020, 06:36 PM
You do age your water, don't you Vinni?

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 07:47 PM
You do age your water, don't you Vinni?

I am fortunate to live on a ranch here in TN. The water is excellent 6.5PH. I have tested it many times. We also have a huge stream/river with crystal clear water running on the back of the property.

When we first moved here we tried to raise guppies. For years we tried and it never once occurred to me it was the low PH. We came from CAL where the PH is 8.0 or higher. Guppies thrived.

Nancy is still into the guppies. I lost interest in them. They are just too inbred nowadays. Weak IMO.

LizStreithorst
07-03-2020, 08:00 PM
You should still test for a swing in pH. Guppies don't care, but Discus object for constant pH swings. It's not that hard to test it.

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 08:14 PM
You should still test for a swing in pH. Guppies don't care, but Discus object for constant pH swings. It's not that hard to test it.

OK, I will indeed do that. Thanks for the tip

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 08:15 PM
Oh, I should also tell you that I purchased a filter system for our tap.
We drink it so I want it to be good.

LizStreithorst
07-03-2020, 08:39 PM
Well, if this one little thing is not worth doing to you, don't do it.

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 09:29 PM
Well, if this one little thing is not worth doing to you, don't do it.

Oh, no. Please don't misunderstand.

I do check the PH quite often. Not every time, I will admit, but I do it a lot.

I also check it a lot in my aquarium before WCs

No change before and after WCs

I use the Tetra Quick Strips. I know they are not perfect, but are they close enough?

I test the ammonia with a good tester.

LizStreithorst
07-03-2020, 09:34 PM
What I'm asking is if you've ever checked the swing in pH between your water straight from the tap and water from the same tap that has been put in a bucket and aerated for 12 hrs. It's something every Discus keeper should know. People often ignore it and wonder why over time their Discus keep feeling less and less well. Some lucky people don't have a swing but the majority of us do.

dornblaser
07-03-2020, 11:00 PM
That is great customer service and emergency tank!

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 11:14 PM
What I'm asking is if you've ever checked the swing in pH between your water straight from the tap and water from the same tap that has been put in a bucket and aerated for 12 hrs. It's something every Discus keeper should know. People often ignore it and wonder why over time their Discus keep feeling less and less well. Some lucky people don't have a swing but the majority of us do.

I have not done that. I have not heard of it before. I will set some out tonight and check it tomorrow.
Thanks Liz.
That would indeed be good to know.
I did not know the PH changed if the water sits.
Vinni

Vinni Smith
07-03-2020, 11:25 PM

OK, I jut tested it. 6.5 exactly

See y'all tomorrow

Thanks again Liz

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 12:32 PM
Good morning everyone.
Happy 4th!

I just rechecked the PH in my container.
It is the same as last night... 6.5 PH

Now is that a good or bad thing?
Good, right?

Thanks

LizStreithorst
07-04-2020, 12:44 PM
You are one of the lucky ones, Vinnie. You can keep on doing as you have been. The reason the water changes pH after sitting with an air stone in it is that as the air bubbles it gasses off CO2 and the pH goes up. If it's surface water your working with it may contain too much O2. In that case the excess oxygen gasses off. Most tap waters come from a well and contain a lot of CO2.

Way back when I tested mine when I was new, my pH had just a .4 change. It went from 6.8 to 7.2. I thought that that wasn't a significant swing but after a month or 6 weeks I saw the Discus acting somewhat less happy. Not sick, but not happy. Once I started aging the fish went back to normal. Too many people don't know about this and it's a shame because it matters to Discus. These days I even age for my tanks that don't need it like my Rainbows, Bristle Nose, and shrimp.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 01:32 PM
You are one of the lucky ones, Vinnie. You can keep on doing as you have been. The reason the water changes pH after sitting with an air stone in it is that as the air bubbles it gasses off CO2 and the pH goes up. If it's surface water your working with it may contain too much O2. In that case the excess oxygen gasses off. Most tap waters come from a well and contain a lot of CO2.

Way back when I tested mine when I was new, my pH had just a .4 change. It went from 6.8 to 7.2. I thought that that wasn't a significant swing but after a month or 6 weeks I saw the Discus acting somewhat less happy. Not sick, but not happy. Once I started aging the fish went back to normal. Too many people don't know about this and it's a shame because it matters to Discus. These days I even age for my tanks that don't need it like my Rainbows, Bristle Nose, and shrimp.

WOW! Great info! Thanks.
SO good to know this.
Sounds like I should maybe test it now and then.

Will the PH always go up as yours did, or can it go down as well?

Thanks again Liz

LizStreithorst
07-04-2020, 02:54 PM
As long as your tap water always comes from the same source which I would imagine it will I see no reason to test it again. But at least now when here ask if you have a pH swing you can say no, and if someone comes on with a water related fish problem you can ask them the question and teach them why it matters.

If your tap water comes from a surface source with a lot of water agitation it can pick up extra O2 and it will go down with aging. I've found that a one time big swing like when you order fish from a supplier with different water from yours dropping and plopping doesn't bother them as long as the pH remains stable after that. It's the constant up and down swings that does bother them.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 03:05 PM
That all makes sense.

Thingsarefun
07-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Vinni,
Really sorry to hear about your tank!
I'm pretty sure the reason its cracking is because it's only 3/8" thick & 30 high (looked at your original thread).

I'll look for the height chart, but I think 3/8 is only good to 24".

Thingsarefun
07-04-2020, 06:34 PM
Taken from this site
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acrylic-fabrication-q-a.224773/

"Display Tank Material Thickness

This general guideline is what James relayed to me as his personal guideline. I believe these are based on Polycast, which is imperial thickness (1" = 1.00") so keep that in mind when using a metric-based material.

For a EUROBRACED tank:
24" high, use 1/2" minimum
30" high, use 3/4" minimum
36" high, use 1" minimum

Eurobrace minimums:
3" perimeter eurobrace on any tank.
6" wide crossbrace for every 24" of tank length.
1.5" radius for all interior corners of the eurobrace cutouts (3" diameter circle). This is very important.

For instance:
A 48" x 24" tank (footprint) will have 3" perimeter eurobrace and a single 6" crossbrace at 24".
A 72" x 24" tank will have 3" perimeter eurobrace and a two 6" crossbraces, one at 24" and one at 48"."

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 06:39 PM
All that does make good sense, I agree,
All those specs do look good.

But the cracks were in the bottom sheet on the edge.
Very strange.

Also, I was mistaken.
They made my tank out of 1/2"
I had that part wrong.

LizStreithorst
07-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Did anyone here think that they are speaking Greek except me? I know that you understand this stuff, Thingsarefun but there are way to many numbers involved for me to get a grasp on it. I know if I were shown I would get it, but numbers make me loose my mind. As long as you and Vinnie get it, that's all that matters.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 06:49 PM
Did anyone here think that they are speaking Greek except me? I know that you understand this stuff, Thingsarefun but there are way to many numbers involved for me to get a grasp on it. I know if I were shown I would get it, but numbers make me loose my mind. As long as you and Vinnie get it, that's all that matters.

Here Liz.
I promise no #s
This is the bottom side. The only place the tank cracked.
We are all scratching our heads. It just does not make sense where and how it cracked.
Sure makes me glad I went with a bare bottom!
I would have never seen it if it was covered with gravel.

BTW, I did just measure the material again to make sure I am not being stupid.
Yes, 1/2" material all the way around.
In this picture, the tank is turned upside down.
I think I posted that I changed my mind and only did 24" tall.

peewee1
07-04-2020, 06:53 PM
All that does make good sense, I agree,
All those specs do look good.

But the cracks were in the bottom sheet on the edge.
Very strange.

Also, I was mistaken.
They made my tank out of 1/2"
I had that part wrong.

For 30 inch height then the thickness would be 3/4 inches. But would not there be more weight at the bottom because of the total pressure of the water as you go deeper?

LizStreithorst
07-04-2020, 06:54 PM
That bottom piece must have been cut incorrectly. I've never had an acrylic tank but that is never where glass tanks crack. I guess when something is made to order there is always the chance of a screw up because of all the human work needed. Humans aren't perfect. I'm sure hot. Thanks for showing me rather than making my head spin with numbers.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 06:59 PM
For 30 inch height then the thickness would be 3/4 inches. But would not there be more weight at the bottom because of the total pressure of the water as you go deeper?

I decided to go with 24" and not 30".
I am just too short to clean a 30" tank.
Those plans were changed at the last minute.

Also, wouldn't you think it would crack on the side?
The bottom is being supported by the stand.
And the stand is one solid, very flat piece of 3/4" plywood.
Not hollow in the middle like most aquarium stands.

And my biggest question is why did it only crack in a very small area?

I am a bit nervous about trying it again.
However, I called a place that specializes in acrylic tanks and they quoted me $1,700
A bit more than I want to spend.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 07:05 PM
That bottom piece must have been cut incorrectly. I've never had an acrylic tank but that is never where glass tanks crack. I guess when something is made to order there is always the chance of a screw up because of all the human work needed. Humans aren't perfect. I'm sure hot. Thanks for showing me rather than making my head spin with numbers.

I agree Liz. It would not be so confusing if it bowed out in the middle and cracked at the top of the side, front or back.

Thingsarefun
07-04-2020, 08:19 PM
I decided to go with 24" and not 30".
I am just too short to clean a 30" tank.
Those plans were changed at the last minute.

Also, wouldn't you think it would crack on the side?
The bottom is being supported by the stand.
And the stand is one solid, very flat piece of 3/4" plywood.
Not hollow in the middle like most aquarium stands.

And my biggest question is why did it only crack in a very small area?

I am a bit nervous about trying it again.
However, I called a place that specializes in acrylic tanks and they quoted me $1,700
A bit more than I want to spend.

I'm with you on the 30 inch height I was planning on doing that too, but every time I siphon my 24 I thank thank the stars I didn't do it either... lol

The bottom seams are under the most pressure, but they normally fail due to a bad weld.
Your seams are still intact, so I would think it has to do with either bad material or bowing?

$1700 seems crazy high for a tank that size, but it is custom.

If your up for it you could probably repair it with "Euro bracing" the bottom like this glass one.

Just cut pieces to fit the edges and glue them in with Weldon 40.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 08:30 PM
I'm with you on the 30 inch height I was planning on doing that too, but every time I siphon my 24 I thank thank the stars I didn't do it either... lol

The bottom seams are under the most pressure, but they normally fail due to a bad weld.
Your seams are still intact, so I would think it has to do with either bad material or bowing?

$1700 seems crazy high for a tank that size, but it is custom.

If your up for it you could probably repair it with "Euro bracing" the bottom like this glass one.

Just cut pieces to fit the edges and glue them in with Weldon 40.

Yeah, they think it was bad material.
The company has already reimbursed them for it.
Very fast with no hassle at all.
Hmmmmm

Good idea about the bracing.
I am probably going to just sell the tank to someone as a reptile home

I think $1,700 is nuts

LizStreithorst
07-04-2020, 08:54 PM
Don't sell it. Repair it, test it and store it until you need it. If you are like me, you will become addicted and need it at some point. Just think...it would be 2 big fine tanks for the price of one. If I lived closer to you I would lie to you that I had reptiles and wanted to buy the tank for them and do the job myself. That tank is much to valuable so sell as a home for reptiles.

Mama Bear has spoken.

peewee1
07-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Don't sell it. Repair it, test it and store it until you need it. If you are like me, you will become addicted and need it at some point. Just think...it would be 2 big fine tanks for the price of one. If I lived closer to you I would lie to you that I had reptiles and wanted to buy the tank for them and do the job myself. That tank is much to valuable so sell as a home for reptiles.

Mama Bear has spoken.

Vinni has so many fish he is bound to have many future breeding pairs. Keep the tank, section it off, fill it part way full, and use it for a breeding tanks, or even grow out tank or tanks.

Vinni Smith
07-04-2020, 09:47 PM
Yeah, sounds like some good advise. I think a trim around the bottom could work too.

If he does not want it back, I just may keep it.

Iminit
07-05-2020, 04:38 PM
How’s it going Vinni? When’s the new tank due? Not sure what euro bracing is? But my clear for life tanks are all 24” high and use 3/8 arcylic. 2 90s and a 125. If they let you keep it I would try that bracing. Mark the cracks so you can see if they get bigger. Than fill it up and leave it outside for a month or 2 to see what happens. You can never have enough tanks :).

seanyuki
07-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Euro Bracing Euro bracing is an approx. 3” wide strip of glass that runs all around the perimeter of the tank. It gives you complete & free access to the inside of your tank without any cross braces. This is also a favored option for those optimizing on the light penetration into their tank. This bracing can also be polished for a very refined look. In very large tank applications, euro bracing is tempered.

http://coasttocoastaquariums.com/products/euro-braced/euro-braced-aquarium-portfolio/

https://www.aquariumillusions.com/aquariums/custom-how-tos/info-custom-tanks/

How’s it going Vinni? When’s the new tank due? Not sure what euro bracing is? But my clear for life tanks are all 24” high and use 3/8 arcylic. 2 90s and a 125. If they let you keep it I would try that bracing. Mark the cracks so you can see if they get bigger. Than fill it up and leave it outside for a month or 2 to see what happens. You can never have enough tanks :).

Vinni Smith
07-08-2020, 06:48 PM

Well, things are going really good so far. Everyone seems to be happy in the 56QT for now. A little bickering but as much as is expected. Nothing brutal.

The tank was supposed to be done at noon today but I did not bother calling him. I figure he will call me when it's done. I don't want to rush him at all.

I have also been getting lots of quotes on other companies making the tank for me if this does not pan out. We shall see.
Who knows, he may throw up his hands and say uncle.

farebox
07-08-2020, 07:31 PM
I truly admire you with all that patience you've displayed. I never had a custom made tank so I have no idea how long it takes to get one made and delivered, so I totally would be freaked out by now waiting. Good luck and hang in....

Iminit
07-08-2020, 08:30 PM
Yeah Vinni I’m with a Roland you’ve got patience! Hope the new one is perfect and lasts a lifetime :). Good to here all is well in the 56.

Vinni Smith
07-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Look what showed up today!!!

I like this tank much better than Phase 1.

They routed the two front corners from top to bottom. Much nicer on the elbows when walking by.

He also did not put a coat of Weldon 16 on the inside as a precaution. I appreciated the precaution, but it looked bad.

The access holes on this tank are much more usable. I just did not plan the last one out correctly.

Question for you acrylic gurus. They welded the tank together with Weld-On SciGrip, of course. They did 2 applications. I asked if I should to the 3rd and he said "It would be cheap insurance". My question is, will the late application hurt or weaken the already bonded connections at all?

Iminit
07-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Looks good Vinnie!! No clue on the weld-on. Why do you think it need 3 applications?? Good luck with it. When can you fill it and did you keep the old tank?

Vinni Smith
07-09-2020, 10:06 PM
Looks good Vinnie!! No clue on the weld-on. Why do you think it need 3 applications?? Good luck with it. When can you fill it and did you keep the old tank?

Thanks Bro. I think this tank looks even better than the last one.
As I understand, the last one was extruded acrylic and this one is cast acrylic.
I know what that means with guitar picks and lasers but not a clue in the world of aquariums.
Nancy says it is more clear looking than the older one. I think maybe so.

I just thought 3 would be better than 2, I guess.
Maybe I am just over the top sometimes.

Thinking of filling it tomorrow.

I asked if he wanted the other one back and he immediately said "No".
So, who knows. Maybe another discus tank in my work office.
Nancy said no, but I think she would go for a herd of 8 Blue Diamonds.
Heh?

Vinni Smith
07-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Here they are in their last couple of days of living in the apartment.
We will most likely move them into the big tank tomorrow.
For some reason the Blue Diamonds were hiding during this picture...

Please note the large yellow on the right with nose on the filter.
That fish has stayed like that for days now and is very protective of that filter.
I think maybe eggs? But I cannot see any.
Will they lay eggs without pairing up with a mate?
It sure is what it looks like.

Iminit
07-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Lol maybe it just likes the filter:). May have to bring that to the new tank. Discus look great! The apartment didn’t bother them at all.
Before you fill it with blue diamonds do the bracing and fill it outside and leave it for a month or so. Last thing you want is a leak in the house.

Vinni Smith
07-10-2020, 04:58 PM
OK, the move went great today!

Everyone is in the new digs and they like it!

This cast acrylic tank is clearer and brighter than the extruded acrylic tank. Nancy noticed that and she is absolutely right.

That yellow fish protected that filter thru all the net work and chasing everyone around the tank. Boy, those rummies are hard to catch!

Do you think I should move the yellow one to the new tank or leave it in the apartment for a while? I really don't want that to be a breeding facility. It should be a QT/hospital tank.
I don't want to disrupt it's life or stress it out. It never showed any signs of a mate at all. Yet, all the videos I have watched of spawning discus, that is exactly how this fish is acting.

Vinni Smith
07-10-2020, 05:07 PM

Vinni Smith
07-10-2020, 09:16 PM

Yes, I prefer fake plants over real ones.
Yes I am Italian
No I don't have plastic flamingos in my yard.
VincenZo

Vinni Smith
07-11-2020, 08:49 AM
I moved the yellow filter hugger into the big tank with the rest.
Now he/she is guarding the top of the driftwood.
I wonder if it was part of a pair and when the fish were shipped to me, the pair was split apart???
Any thoughts?

peewee1
07-11-2020, 09:26 AM
I wonder if it was part of a pair and when the fish were shipped to me, the pair was split apart???
Any thoughts?

I was told in another thread that the fish recognize one another. If this fish was a part of a pair then the two of them should know who each other are. They are either taking a break from one another or chose not to be a pair any longer. Example would be two that I had paired with a fighting with those two. Then the female abandoned male and paired with the fighter. Then another male came along and she again paired with another. Then that male abandoned her and paired with what appeaser to be another male. On the other hand I had two pair after only two weeks of bringing the female into the school. I moved them to a breeder and they spawned within a few days. At wiggler time the two fought as the male dominated the eggs not allowing the female to come near. I removed the female and placed her into the school leaving the male alone in the breeder. When the fry did not attach I cleaned up the breeder and restarted the filters. I put the female back into the tank and at this time the two are getting alone with a little bit of interest but no cleaning actions yet but they do seem to know one another even after the one week separation and not fighting now.

LizStreithorst
07-11-2020, 09:56 AM
She's wanting to breed and there isn't a male interested in her. Don't be surprised if she lays eggs with no male helping her. When a female gets full of eggs they need to lay them.

coralbandit
07-11-2020, 11:39 AM
She's wanting to breed and there isn't a male interested in her. Don't be surprised if she lays eggs with no male helping her. When a female gets full of eggs they need to lay them.

I agree.
Likely a male is excreting hormones that the female recognizes and is doing her part to win a mate.
Hey Peewee ,I too have been told ,and seen so far with all my discus that they do recognize their own.
Somewhere ,maybe in a comic book for what it is worth I read ' Given a choice a pair will choose a mate of their own color if possible.' I haven't read a comic book in a very long time but have lots of fish /discus/cichlid books ....I got 5 sets of 2 each color discus from Hans and out of my first 10 discus two pairs formed and they matched up.One died .and 2 jumped out due to the pair forming .. What was left [3 fish] were all male and different color . I am sitting on 3 new sets of 2 and hoping for pairs ?
The move to new tank offers the cleanest water for the fish in some time so you may some breeding activity [ maybe only eggs] soon .
You'll know when a pair has formed .The are not as sneaky as people ~! What you will see is team work once they form at least until the eggs arrive ..
Glad to have been reading how you have overcome adversity that would have stalled many ,many others ..
I have found persistence and patience pay off ...

Vinni Smith
07-11-2020, 12:06 PM

That makes good sense.
Thanks!

peewee1
07-11-2020, 05:04 PM
I agree.
Likely a male is excreting hormones that the female recognizes and is doing her part to win a mate.
Hey Peewee ,I too have been told ,and seen so far with all my discus that they do recognize their own.
Somewhere ,maybe in a comic book for what it is worth I read ' Given a choice a pair will choose a mate of their own color if possible.' I haven't read a comic book in a very long time but have lots of fish /discus/cichlid books ....I got 5 sets of 2 each color discus from Hans and out of my first 10 discus two pairs formed and they matched up.One died .and 2 jumped out due to the pair forming .. What was left [3 fish] were all male and different color . I am sitting on 3 new sets of 2 and hoping for pairs ?
The move to new tank offers the cleanest water for the fish in some time so you may some breeding activity [ maybe only eggs] soon .
You'll know when a pair has formed .The are not as sneaky as people ~! What you will see is team work once they form at least until the eggs arrive ..
Glad to have been reading how you have overcome adversity that would have stalled many ,many others ..
I have found persistence and patience pay off ...

I am testing the recognition thought. I had a pair spawn, then fighting occurred when the male became protective of the eggs. I move the female away. How I have them back together in the breeding tank but so far no fighting but no mating signals either except they nudge each other and spend most time side by side. Last I saw there was on fry swimming around in that tank but somehow it has not found mom or pop so maybe it is blind or no sense of smell.

peewee1
07-11-2020, 05:06 PM
Any thoughts?

You get yourself on down to Victoria Secrets and get her some girly wear. That will get the boy's notice right quick.

Vinni Smith
07-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Observation.

When I set the first acrylic tank up, I put the tank directly on the stand with no pad between. This later became a problem because the tank and stand soon became one. We had a hard time getting it off that stand.

During the 3 weeks it was up and running before the cracks the fish were ok in it but never seemed to be at ease. They stayed uptight and outta site. When the front door would shut, they would all run for cover. As I told you all, they HATED it when I would siphon out the poop. They were just never comfortable.

Now, this time around, I put a camping sleep mat between the tank and the stand. Totally different attitude of the fish! They were all very happy in their new digs only 1 hour after the move. They no longer jump anytime there is a bump or squeak in the house. It is like it is a different batch of fish!

I am 100% convinced that they were feeling and hearing way too much stuff going on in our house before. This was being transferred from the floor, thru the stand into the water. Now, all they really hear and feel is the HOB filter, the air bubbles and what ever sound waves hit the outside of the aquarium.

What a difference!!!

peewee1
07-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Maybe vibrations were transferring into the water via the stand to the glass. The pad softened the vibrations somewhat?

Vinni Smith
07-12-2020, 01:20 PM
Yep. I think that is exactly what happens.
I will always use pads from now on.

seanyuki
07-12-2020, 02:06 PM
I use 1/2 styrofoam

peewee1
07-12-2020, 02:37 PM

Discus like good vibrations, Vinni.

We're pickin' up good vibrations (good vibrations, oom bop bop)

Vinni Smith
07-12-2020, 04:03 PM
I use 1/2 styrofoam

Great idea and it looks good too.
I had read about styrofoam also

Do you see a difference in your fish as well?

For what reason did you decide to pad it?

Vinni Smith
07-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Discus like good vibrations, Vinni.

We're pickin' up good vibrations (good vibrations, oom bop bop)

I am really believing they do bro.

I think they like the Beach Boys too!

seanyuki
07-12-2020, 04:24 PM
The cabinets that I was using were for four 75 gallons tanks layout and switched to two 120 gallons and needed a styrofoam to distribute the weight of the tank in case of uneven floor.

Great idea and it looks good too.
I had read about styrofoam also

Do you see a difference in your fish as well?

For what reason did you decide to pad it?

Iminit
07-12-2020, 09:07 PM
I’m surprised the styrofoam doesn’t crack. And does it compress? My tanks are in the basement on concrete and tile. So I’ve never noticed a problem

seanyuki
07-12-2020, 09:19 PM
I am using this kind of Dow styrofoam in pink........The weight of your tank will be focused on any high points on the surface, placing the bottom panel of glass under focused stress.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/1-x-4-x-10-styrofoam-cladmate-cm20-ship-lap-foam-insulation/p/2719302?page=search-results%20page128323

I’m surprised the styrofoam doesn’t crack. And does it compress? My tanks are in the basement on concrete and tile. So I’ve never noticed a problem

Vinni Smith
07-13-2020, 01:28 PM
This is my remaining Red Turq from my first batch of discus purchased about 6 months ago.
I call him my $250 Turq.

I purchased 5 from a dealer that I did not check on first.
Fish all arrived alive but one would not eat.
It was all downhill from there.
I just put the 4th down today.
Just did not see how he could go on.

This one is magnificent!
4 1/4" approx.
I love this fish.
Fastest growing discus I have so far.

coralbandit
07-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Nice looking fish !
I hope the foam makes a difference with the tank also ..
My fish love music ...No joke I play all my old time favorites the whole time I am working in the fish room ..
Some vibrations are good ...:p

Vinni Smith
07-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Look who paired up.
She was really creating some bad vibes in the tank.
A lot of aggression and stress on everyone.
Everyone except the red.

So, They are now residing in the QT tank.
Looks like I will be setting up another tank in my workshop office soon.
Probably fix the cracked acrylic 112 and use that. I have the perfect place for it.
I have in my mind how I will repair it now.

Vinni Smith
08-20-2020, 07:37 PM
Well, You guys win...

As much as I like the looks of the BB tank when it is clean,
I am getting tired of it looking dirty the next day.
Seriously considering adding gravel to it tomorrow.

I added gravel to the shop tank and it is going quite well.
Fish don't really seem to like it any better, however, I don't have that mess to look at every day.
I know it is still there and I also know I probably cannot get as much of it out by vacuuming the gravel,
However, I look at the fish instead of the dirty tank bottom.

Again, I lOVE the way the BB looks, when it is clean.

Now, the tank with the breeding pair downstairs from Miranda...
That tank stays nice.
Some patches of green algae grows on it but Rob and the plecko pretty much take care of it.
It is a glass tank with a rim around the top and bottom.
(see the picture above)

Question to all you pros...
Should I put an under gravel filter in before adding the gravel?
Worked with those for YEARS.
I do have a great HOB filter and a mega-fied sponge filter.
Do they even sell UG filters anymore?

Vinni