PDA

View Full Version : Adding substrate to established tank

Justanotherfishkeeper
06-30-2020, 07:07 PM
So I’ve got an established bare bottom discus tank, with a few potted plants.

I’d now like to put substrate in the stank and have a proer planter tank. Would there be an issue in doing this?

Should I put the fish in another tank for a few weeks when I put the substrate in or would they be ok?

Thanks

Iminit
06-30-2020, 08:04 PM
How big is the tank and how much (is it new?) substrate will you be adding?

Justanotherfishkeeper
07-01-2020, 02:39 AM
It’s a 4ft tank, about 200 litres.

Yes it will be new substrate 👍

Justanotherfishkeeper
07-01-2020, 04:52 AM
Oh sorry if you was asking if the tank was new, no it’s well established.

Unsure on the substrate, probably something from tropica.

Iminit
07-01-2020, 06:54 AM
Well for me because I just can’t be bothered with moving the fish. I would add a small bit a day. Maybe 5lbs. Well rinsed. Also add a water polisher to remove what ever you missed in cleaning.

Thingsarefun
07-25-2020, 06:44 PM
So I’ve got an established bare bottom discus tank, with a few potted plants.

I’d now like to put substrate in the stank and have a proer planter tank. Would there be an issue in doing this?

Should I put the fish in another tank for a few weeks when I put the substrate in or would they be ok?

Thanks

Not sure if you completed this already but, I'm with Iminit.

Just slowly add it to the tank during water changes.
Make sure the rinse it until nothing comes out, then keep rinsing until you think "this is crazy I'm done"! It will still cloud your tank... lol

If you are planning on added something like aqua soil, I would probably discourage doing so with fish in as it will probably leach ammonium.

Baum
02-10-2021, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by perastudent
I've just started with a 75 gal discus tank. What substrate would you recommend to use? What would you say about keeping discus in a tank with Aquasoil? I read about it in one of the research pdfs on writemyessayfast.ca (https://www.writemyessayfast.ca/) by a Canandian fish-keeper.

Avoid any gravels and dirted substrates. I'm using pool filter sand as substrate for my aquarium.
As for Aquasoil, I have never used it, in my 8 years of fish-keeping.

SCORPA
02-11-2021, 01:09 AM
Put it in the 5 gallon bucket in the bathtub and let water run through it. Stir it up, let it overflow the cloudy sand and repeat for about 15 minutes a bag. This will reduce clouding. Use just enough substrate to be enough to plant in. Use a small container to slowly dump it in the bottom inside the tank. Do a water change right after to clear up the water faster. I would leave your fish inside the tank and don't see a problem with that. Obviously you could move them if it is not an inconvenience, and you have another tank already set up.

RickyB
01-20-2022, 04:21 PM
You don't have to "avoid" gravels imo, but you do need to vacuum each WC and keep an eye on your water parameters by testing. Two months with plants in a planted gravel tank for me and the fish have never been happier. They love to hide among the swords and java fern.

Willie
01-20-2022, 04:58 PM
Do it the right way. Take the fish out and put the substrate in. Particulates are going to irritate if not outright clog their gills.

Pre-rinse the substrate beforehand, but the tank will still get cloudy. You may need to make a few water changes and change your filter floss. It'll clear up in 2 - 3 days and the fish can go back then.

Phil4Discus
01-20-2022, 11:22 PM
I agree with Willie on this. Remove the fish first. Depending on what substrate you use, some may change the water parameters. Some will increase ammonia to feed the live bacteria they advertise, while others may modify the pH. Sand, also has its flaws in clouding up the water. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

This is what I'd do depending on the substrate. Test your tank for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates prior to adding your substrate so you have a baseline. I'd move the fish into a med tank and let them chill there. If you don't have a med tank set up, then bucket(s) with air stones and a heater if necessary. Then add your substrate and let it settle for a couple hours and take new measurements. Perform a water change. Test again. If all is good, then move the fish back in. If its off a bit, then drip acclimate your fish in the buckets and then you can move them to the new tank. Sand substrate would likely be the fastest for this process with the least of changes, rock/gravel next, and dirted or soil products would tank the longest to adjust.

More work, I know. But better than getting your fish stressed and potentially sick. Then having to treat with meds with a tank that now has substrate...

Phil

Edit to add: Like others have said. No matter the process you want to do, rinse the substrate. :thumbsup:

Aquaman218
01-21-2022, 12:52 AM
An approach that may help limit the clouding: once you have thoroughly rinsed the substrate, use a piece of PCV pipe to place the substrate in the tank where you want it. Pour the substrate through the pipe, with the pipe close to the bottom of the tank. As suggested, only add a small a mount at a time.

Robert

Charlyc11
01-21-2022, 08:09 AM
I have added my filter sand (https://lesliespool.com/pool-filter-sand-20-grade-silica-50-lbs/401219.html) after rinsing it thoroughly one large cup at a time and dispersing it at the bottom without any issues no cloudiness and no change in water parameters since it's inert. Particles are excellent size and it comes very clean. Happy fish love the sand daily cleanups are easy. $15.99 50 Lbs. but when I got there they charged me $13.99.

mleibowi
01-21-2022, 01:12 PM
I have added my filter sand (https://lesliespool.com/pool-filter-sand-20-grade-silica-50-lbs/401219.html) after rinsing it thoroughly one large cup at a time and dispersing it at the bottom without any issues no cloudiness and no change in water parameters since it's inert. Particles are excellent size and it comes very clean. Happy fish love the sand daily cleanups are easy. $15.99 50 Lbs. but when I got there they charged me $13.99.

I used this in my tank as well. It's pretty good. I wouldn't add too much depending on what you wanted to plant, ie swords. Even with sand, for my weekly deep clean, I siphon through it as inevitably some waste get trapped below the surface.