PDA

View Full Version : What strain of discus are these?????????????????????????? Or what could they be......

jimmyjoe
07-03-2020, 06:51 PM
I purchased these about 6 months ago as a strain I don't want to mention at the moment. Hopefully I haven't been hosed, they just don't look like what I was expecting at this time in their development. I bought them at 2.5" to 3", they are now between 4.5 to 5" from smallest to largest. I just need some ones opinions other than what I have found on the web. My opinion is they look like Red Pandas to me JMO...................Jim in Ohio

Iminit
07-03-2020, 07:05 PM
Not sure what they are but they are good looking discus. One in last pic looks great!! What are they supposed to be? What do you think they are?

jimmyjoe
07-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Not sure what they are but they are good looking discus. One in last pic looks great!! What are they supposed to be? What do you think they are?

I don't want to say just yet, I'd like some one that knows discus strains to come out and tell me, I like to think maybe I'm right or maybe I don't think I know this discus strain at all.

Johnny95132
07-03-2020, 08:49 PM
Yes, I would agree that they're red pandas or red marlboros. They could fit in the broad range known as pigeon bloods. It's a generic term for red white mottled discus. Anyways, good job growing them out from juvies. I haven't been able to do so myself.

coralbandit
07-04-2020, 05:16 AM
I think color variation names are all over the board ?
I have seen discus like picture 2 &3 called red panda or checkerboards .
The first picture and last picture could be rafflesia or maybe the last is a fine line red panda .
It really depends on who you get them from what the color variants are called ..

jimmyjoe
07-04-2020, 03:38 PM
I think color variation names are all over the board ?
I have seen discus like picture 2 &3 called red panda or checkerboards .
The first picture and last picture could be rafflesia or maybe the last is a fine line red panda .
It really depends on who you get them from what the color variants are called ..

Well I e-mailed the seller and he quoted me that the fish I purchased definitely came from parents of what I thought I was buying. Out of the six fish I purchased only one has any hope of what I really wanted, so here's the one that is closest to what I thought I was buying now can you guess what I thought i was buying. Jim in Ohio

jimmyjoe
07-04-2020, 04:05 PM
These are the ones I picked out from 10 pictured, so I guess all fault lies with me on this one. The person I purchased them from also said that they have the genes in them that I'm looking for. Jim in Ohio

peewee1
07-04-2020, 04:53 PM
Jimmy Joe Jeeter from Mary Hartman? I like the creamy like coloring of these fish. This is what you were expecting.

Iminit
07-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Well don’t get me wrong your orange ones are really nice looking and do seem bigger than the ones you thought you were getting. But they are no where near what you were hoping for. I guess it’s hard for them to know What there selling at 2 1/2”. Hey it’s happened t me. Here’s my pigeon blood silver 128245 kinda looks like a dark angel. Maybe someone took from the wrong tank. And my red snakeskin128246 looks very orange. But hey I still like them. I enjoy growing them. I was told this time to get bigger if I wanted for sure colors. But I bought from another seller 5.5” discus and yes they held there color but just didn’t get much bigger. So for me I’ll get smaller and take my chances :).

danotaylor
07-04-2020, 06:13 PM
So what strain name were the parents Jim? I remember lots of variations in Al's FLSS fry... turks, BSS, RSS.. all super nice shape like his pair.
I really like what you ended up with but I'm sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for...I'm in Ohio...maybe when I'm ready you want to sell them??
Peace mate. Danny

jimmyjoe
07-04-2020, 09:34 PM
So what strain name were the parents Jim? I remember lots of variations in Al's FLSS fry... turks, BSS, RSS.. all super nice shape like his pair.
I really like what you ended up with but I'm sorry you didn't get what you were hoping for...I'm in Ohio...maybe when I'm ready you want to sell them??
Peace mate. Danny

Well, they were labeled as Golden Leopards and they looked really promising but just like they say better to buy adults cause then your sure to get what you paid for. I'm happy at the moment with them Danny but you never know I'll keep you in mind. Jim in Ohio

danotaylor
07-05-2020, 12:35 AM
Sounds good Jim! It's another good example of the gene pool that is traversed to arrive at a desired outcome. I wonder what % of the fry from a particular strain type that breeders breed are actually the same as the parents?? Discus genetics are a sight to behold!

jimmyjoe
07-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Sounds good Jim! It's another good example of the gene pool that is traversed to arrive at a desired outcome. I wonder what % of the fry from a particular strain type that breeders breed are actually the same as the parents?? Discus genetics are a sight to behold!

Danny, I would really hope that some true breeder can shed some light on here once again about the genetics involved with breeding a true strain. I know I could look in the archives for this but I feel a new perspective would be great, especially with all the wanna-be breeders in the hobby now. Jim in Ohio

peewee1
07-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Danny, I would really hope that some true breeder can shed some light on here once again about the genetics involved with breeding a true strain. I know I could look in the archives for this but I feel a new perspective would be great, especially with all the wanna-be breeders in the hobby now. Jim in Ohio

You may not find any true stains anymore. Almost all cultivated discus are genetically mixed.

peewee1
07-05-2020, 12:12 PM

Would not the percent achieved be dictated by the two fish that were bred?

CliffsDiscus
07-05-2020, 12:55 PM
You may not find any true stains anymore. Almost all cultivated discus are genetically mixed.

Exactly, only true strain were Wattlley's. Turquoise, Schmidt Focke Red Turquoise, Sunny Low's Blue Diamond then there were mutations PigeonBloods from Kitti. Currently
mostly everything are hybrid cross with another hybrid. The results are a mix of
different colors.

Cliff

peewee1
07-05-2020, 01:08 PM
Exactly, only true strain were Wattlley's. Turquoise, Schmidt Focke Red Turquoise, Sunny Low's Blue Diamond then there were mutations PigeonBloods from Kitti. Currently
mostly everything are hybrid cross with another hybrid. The results are a mix of
different colors.

Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. I was aware of the Wattley Turk but not the others.Thanks for the information. This thread alerted me to cross and hybrid. I wonder about the Alenquer pair that I have. A Red paired with an Ica Red. Both Alenquer but unknown what ever else might be mixed in to those two fish. I would suspect that F1 would be Alenquer but a mix of Red with possible few with Heckle bar. I also seem to have two gay males trying. With that one I predict 0% anything for F0.

Johnny95132
07-05-2020, 01:29 PM
I think your red snakeskin really is a pigeon snakeskin. The fish in the picture is a pigeon blood as shown by the presence of a red eye, while a true snakeskin would have a bluish eye. You probably were right about the breeder taking the fish from the wrong tank. Just my two cents tho. And for the other fish, it could be a pigeon blood silver. Many specimens can show heavy peppering in a dark tank, more so than his other pigeons.

gunnerschh2
07-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Pewee, how about Mary Hartman- Mary Hartman. That's how I remember it. lol

peewee1
07-05-2020, 03:15 PM
Pewee, how about Mary Hartman- Mary Hartman. That's how I remember it. lol

Jimmy Joe Jeeter was the kid on Mary Hartman.

jimmyjoe
07-05-2020, 08:08 PM
Jimmy Joe Jeeter was the kid on Mary Hartman.

I resemble that remark thank you....................Jim in Ohio

peewee1
07-05-2020, 08:22 PM
I resemble that remark thank you....................Jim in Ohio

Nuk yuk!

jonnoya
10-30-2020, 02:02 AM
HELP !

Can anybody help determine what strain this couple of mine is. According to myself the male is a Red Pigeon Blood and the female is a Brilliant Turquoise. Let me know if u think differently pls.
Tia, Jon

Rd62rdstr
10-31-2020, 09:55 PM
Just wondering if the feed could have altered their color. I have heard that with certain foods the yellows will turn orange or reddish. I have a yellow crystal that is getting an orange hue to him. He was definitely yellow when I purchased him a couple months ago.