PDA

View Full Version : White Stringy Poop

Vinni Smith
08-04-2020, 08:34 PM
Here is a question for all you discus gurus..........

Does white stringy poop always mean parasites or sickness?

I have had this in my aquarium for a very long time. The whole time, really. Maybe 6 months or so? At one point I had some fish stop eating. Lisa recommended the metro and voila. That fish is a gobbler now and growing like crazy.

Off and on, I did two full treatments of strait metro for 10 days. I have raised the temp to 91 for a week. I have done all of that, but still found some WSP today in the tank. I even did a treatment of Wormer Plus. Gabe from Watleys told me it is diarrhea and could be after effects from being sick.

No WSP at all downstairs in the tank with the Chicago Discus pair, 1 goldfish and 1 Long Fin BN albino placo. The pair used to be in the main tank but did not seem to transfer anything at all.

I am not having a problem per say in the tank with sick fish. But I am seeing that white poop. It has been since I started keeping discus. First 5 came from discus.com and I did lose 4 of the 5 within the first month.

What do you think? Is it something to worry about? There is not a lot, mostly dark healthy poop. But I do not want to ignore signs of trouble underlying.

The way I added my fish before i met all you folks, it is a wonder I have fish at all. But all that seems to have worked out ok. Any more fish in the future will be coming from Miranda.

One last note: I do feed FBW but only Hikari now. I used to feed San Francisco Brand until about 1 month ago.

I found this article online as well... https://cafishvet.com/2020/01/25/white-stringy-poop-in-fish/

and

https://discus.fish/diseases/white-feces/

Oxboy
08-05-2020, 02:04 AM
A one-time white stringy poop out of a single fish could be just a bad meal or brief intestinal problem. If it happens more than once or across multiple fish, then yes it is illness/parasites and needs to be addressed.

BrendanJ23
08-05-2020, 06:09 AM
Here is a question for all you discus gurus..........

Does white stringy poop always mean parasites or sickness?

I have had this in my aquarium for a very long time. The whole time, really. Maybe 6 months or so? At one point I had some fish stop eating. Lisa recommended the metro and voila. That fish is a gobbler now and growing like crazy.

Off and on, I did two full treatments of strait metro for 10 days. I have raised the temp to 91 for a week. I have done all of that, but still found some WSP today in the tank. I even did a treatment of Wormer Plus. Gabe from Watleys told me it is diarrhea and could be after effects from being sick.

No WSP at all downstairs in the tank with the Chicago Discus pair, 1 goldfish and 1 Long Fin BN albino placo. The pair used to be in the main tank but did not seem to transfer anything at all.

I am not having a problem per say in the tank with sick fish. But I am seeing that white poop. It has been since I started keeping discus. First 5 came from discus.com and I did lose 4 of the 5 within the first month.

What do you think? Is it something to worry about? There is not a lot, mostly dark healthy poop. But I do not want to ignore signs of trouble underlying.

The way I added my fish before i met all you folks, it is a wonder I have fish at all. But all that seems to have worked out ok. Any more fish in the future will be coming from Miranda.

One last note: I do feed FBW but only Hikari now. I used to feed San Francisco Brand until about 1 month ago.

I found this article online as well... https://cafishvet.com/2020/01/25/white-stringy-poop-in-fish/

and

https://discus.fish/diseases/white-feces/

A very interesting read! Thanks for sharing.

Second Hand Pat
08-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Hi Vinni, what does the white poop look like? Also is it just coming from one fish?
Pat

Vinni Smith
08-05-2020, 08:49 AM
Hi Vinni, what does the white poop look like? Also is it just coming from one fish?
Pat

It is not brilliant white like when my fish had Hex.
It is also not lumpy either.
Long, more in tan color and smooth

If I see it again, I will take a picture.

Second Hand Pat
08-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Is it only coming from one fish Vinni?
Pat

Vinni Smith
08-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Is it only coming from one fish Vinni?
Pat

Good question.
I am not for sure.
I have not seen it come out of anyone.
But there is very little of it.
I am trying to keep an eye on them all.

Iminit
08-05-2020, 10:26 PM
Great read and thanks Vinnie. If a fish isn’t eating what else could it’s poo look like. Also if feeding freeze dried blackworms sometimes from the fish spitting them out they do look long and stringy and poo like.

Vinni Smith
08-13-2020, 07:35 AM
Well, I have not seen any stringy poop since my original post.
So I guess all is good?
Most of the fish are eating very good.
Some hold back and just pick off the bottom, but I guess that is normal?
Some grow rapidly and some grow slow, but I guess that is normal too?
Large WCs every day.

On another note, I almost have the other cracked acrylic tank fixed now with a new bottom and side trims.
Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
I start on making the stand today.
That tank is 112 gallon as well.
36 x 30 x 24
It will be in the work shop office.
What do you all think? Grow-out tank?
Or should I just make a big order with Miranda and trick it out?

Vinni

peewee1
08-13-2020, 08:44 AM
Well, I have not seen any stringy poop since my original post.
So I guess all is good?
Most of the fish are eating very good.
Some hold back and just pick off the bottom, but I guess that is normal?
Some grow rapidly and some grow slow, but I guess that is normal too?
Large WCs every day.

On another note, I almost have the other cracked acrylic tank fixed now with a new bottom and side trims.
Looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
I start on making the stand today.
That tank is 112 gallon as well.
36 x 30 x 24
It will be in the work shop office.
What do you all think? Grow-out tank?
Or should I just make a big order with Miranda and trick it out?

Vinni

Vinnie, at least give the Barbie Dolphin Magic Ocean Treasure Play Set a consideration. Your discus would enjoy frolicking with Barbie and her friends. You would have enough room for two play sets actually. As far as the growth you know that different strains grow at different speeds. I have one discus who is about 15 months old. He has not grown more that a 1/4 inch, is thin as a rail, and I have never seen the fish poo. It's very odd.

Dive into an ocean of fun with the Barbie Dolphin Magic Ocean Treasure play set inspired by Barbie and her sisters' tropical adventure!
Barbie doll can explore the glittery pink coral reef that holds so many surprise features and cool accessories!
Push the button on the reef to see the cute crab poke in and out of his hole; the purple oyster also opens and closes, revealing a pearl inside
A treasure chest opens to reveal even more hidden fun
Four water-squirting toys -- a dolphin, a baby dolphin, a unicorn sea horse and a sea turtle -- are designed in bright colors with unique touches

Iminit
08-13-2020, 10:11 AM
Thing is peewee you would have to steralize that set before using. Bad enough kids play with it but may be toxic in a tank :). Well if Barbie itself isn’t toxic enough :)!
Vinnie before you do anything with that tank find someplace outside to fill it up and let it run with a power head for about a month before you bring it in. Better to have leakage outside than inside :). How’s Rob doing?

peewee1
08-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Thing is peewee you would have to steralize that set before using. Bad enough kids play with it but may be toxic in a tank :). Well if Barbie itself isn’t toxic enough :)!
Vinnie before you do anything with that tank find someplace outside to fill it up and let it run with a power head for about a month before you bring it in. Better to have leakage outside than inside :). How’s Rob doing?

Kids? It would concern me if I were a parent of a small boy child who took an interest in playing with the Barbie Dolphin Magic Treasure Play Set. I do believe that this toy set was meant for girl children only. Verboten for boys in every sense of the concept. But Vinni could place the aforementioned play set into his aquarium as a decoration as long as he did not play with it first. My understanding is that there is a exchangeable top for Barbie. But only Vinni's wife should be allowed to remove and exchange Barbies top if the need should arise.

Iminit
08-13-2020, 05:20 PM
Lol lol lol. And Vinnie we don’t want to see Rob wearing that top!!!

Vinni Smith
08-13-2020, 09:25 PM
Ya know, it is a little disturbing how much Peewee knows about the Barbie collections.
Just saying'
LOL :guitarist:

Well, I got the big one set up in my shop office today.
Not to worry Iminit, all cement floors and garage out there.
Won't really hurt anything if it leaks.
Gonna add a mature sponge filter and one of the Robs tomorrow.
Think we will get one of the 800 watt Hygert heaters for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Heating-Aquarium-Controller-Submersible-Freshwater/dp/B07ZWX5QMN
It gets pretty darn cold here in Nashville and I don't like to warm that building during the night.
Just love the 500 watt on the display tank here in the house.
Don't even unplug it when doing WCs. It turns off automatically.
It also has a safety device that promises not to cook your fish if something goes awry.
This model is the easiest and best heater I have ever worked with.

Still have not decided what we will put in there.
Nancy is jokingly voting guppies.
Still considering just using it as a grow out tank or maybe just fill it with Miranda's fish.
Also, I am considering substrate.
If guppies, then it will be crushed corral for the higher PH.
Discus just may get sand.
Don't really know yet.
It will be a while because I want to make sure everything is settled in.

peewee1
08-13-2020, 09:54 PM
The heck with guppies, Vinni. That tank is big enough you could use it to grow up puppies.

Iminit
08-13-2020, 11:21 PM
Good to hear Vinnie. Good luck with it and I’m sure the robs will break it in. Funny about peewee he may just have some barbies in his closet. I’m also against guppies. That’s just to big of a tank. African cichlids may be a good fit. But if you do continue with discus I’m suggesting a gravel bottom. Something 1/4 or smaller. It’s just easier to vacuum clean. Sand will get sucked into the vacuum.

peewee1
08-13-2020, 11:47 PM
Good to hear Vinnie. Good luck with it and I’m sure the robs will break it in. Funny about peewee he may just have some barbies in his closet. I’m also against guppies. That’s just to big of a tank. African cichlids may be a good fit. But if you do continue with discus I’m suggesting a gravel bottom. Something 1/4 or smaller. It’s just easier to vacuum clean. Sand will get sucked into the vacuum.

One of my coworkers has over a thousand Barbie dolls. Yet she had not heard of the Treasure play set. She somewhat looks like a Barbie doll but Russian and not as skinny. For the time being she is trying to look like Marilyn Monroe. Except she is Russian and not as skinny.

Vinni Smith
08-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Here are a couple of early pics of the newly set up tank.
I decided to go with small gravel substrate as of your advise.
Fluval HOB and a megafied sponge filter.

200 watt heater in there for now.
Probably will throw Rob in there tomorrow.
Am little plop and drop action.

We built the stand yesterday.
I made it look rustic and rough like everything else in this shop.
I thought something nice looking would be way out of place.
Considering the Barbies but I am afraid the help would just sit and look at them instead of work!

Iminit
08-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Looks good!! Awaiting new arrivals:).

peewee1
08-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Looks good, Vinni. I see lots of fish swimming there.

Vinni Smith
08-16-2020, 05:40 PM
WAY off the subject but we went to a goat show today.
Nancy is very much into her goats!

Here are my favorite two faces in the show

peewee1
08-16-2020, 05:44 PM
Those are handsome goats, Vinni. How many goats per pen is recommended and what percent straw change per day is recommended for the pen? Will the goats eat freeze dried food or do they have to have natural food?

Vinni Smith
08-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone.
What does white stringy poop with hex or parasites look like under a microscope?
Nancy has one and I found a string in on of the tanks.

seanyuki
08-22-2020, 08:57 PM
Just sharing.....Treating fish with parasitic worms, fish stopped eating and has stringy white poop

https://youtu.be/HHJ0nKIMvfg

Hey everyone.
What does white stringy poop with hex or parasites look like under a microscope?
Nancy has one and I found a string in on of the tanks.