PDA

View Full Version : I beg to differ...

danotaylor
08-05-2020, 01:49 AM
Someone here recently said BB tanks are ugly or boring, or something to that effect...I beg to differ...

you just gotta spend as much on quality wood as you do your discus, lol :p

Oxboy
08-05-2020, 02:07 AM
This is an awesome looking setup...if you're looking up at it from below.

danotaylor
08-05-2020, 02:40 AM
That might be tough since the bottom is black, lol :p

BrendanJ23
08-05-2020, 05:28 AM
Nothing wrong with a clean BB!

I’ve recently set up an African cichlid tank and put sand substrate in and I must say, it’s hard to get used to!

Iminit
08-05-2020, 08:22 AM
Who would say that:rolleyes2::rolleyes: some people! Probably has a planted tank :eek::crazy: :).

Vinni Smith
08-05-2020, 08:51 AM
That is a BEAUTIFUL tank!

I LOVE my BB tank.
I have had substrate for the past 55 years.

Mine may be different than some are looking at because it is an acrylic tank with no trim.

The bubbles are even better in a BB because as they rise across and over the driftwood to the surface, the mirror effect on the bottom of the tank look like a stream flowing down.

V

jeep
08-05-2020, 10:38 AM
Nice!!

two utes
08-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Someone here recently said BB tanks are ugly or boring, or something to that effect...I beg to differ...

you just gotta spend as much on quality wood as you do your discus, lol :p

Thanks for sharing Dan. Love the look. There sure has been alot of 'experts' pop up on here lately.....keeping discus has suddenly become alot easier...from how to keep tanks and even sexing discus.

Iminit
08-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Sorry Joe if my opinion offended you. I’m no expert again just giving an opinion. Don’t think I’ve ever said it’s easy. But I do do things my own way.

two utes
08-05-2020, 06:13 PM
Sorry Joe if my opinion offended you. I’m no expert again just giving an opinion. Don’t think I’ve ever said it’s easy. But I do do things my own way.

Not offended by anyone's opinion Tom. Everyone is entitled to make them, including me. Like you i do what works for me.

Bud Smith
08-05-2020, 06:49 PM
Daniel. Very nice looking tank. There is alot you can do with a BB tank to make it interesting. Color of tank bottom and back grounds, potted plants, large rocks, driftwood. In raising discus my preference is BB tanks. I always wanted to have vertical wood logs placed in a random pattern through out a BB tank with anubias and ferns attached.

above design
08-05-2020, 08:18 PM
That is one serious piece of driftwood!! Looks awesome! I'm sure that was not easy to find. I know I spent a long time looking for the right piece of driftwood for my tank. No where near as cool as that piece.

Mark

danotaylor
08-05-2020, 10:32 PM
Just for the record the tank in the original post is not mine...I just thought it was a good example of a tasteful & attractive BB set up. As has been mentioned here, each to his/her own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, this forum is more about fish than the tanks & scapes their owners keep them in. :thumbsup:

farebox
08-06-2020, 07:49 AM
For the last 11 yrs. my 125-gallon tank was BB. Last March when I got Kessil's A-160 WE Tuna Sun lights I changed to low tech planted tank. Have noticed a big change in the discus behavior and just loving my tank for now. Just my two cents because I always perferred a BB tank for discus.

BrendanJ23
08-07-2020, 04:53 AM
For the last 11 yrs. my 125-gallon tank was BB. Last March when I got Kessil's A-160 WE Tuna Sun lights I changed to low tech planted tank. Have noticed a big change in the discus behavior and just loving my tank for now. Just my two cents because I always perferred a BB tank for discus.

A big change in discus behavior, for better or worse? Can you elaborate please?

Vinni Smith
08-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Say what you want about a BB being ugly...

I cannot be convinced that a tank with substrate could possibly be as clean. I vacuum mine out every day. Sometimes twice. Hey, I'm retired with nothing else to do! I get tons of discus turds and I get most every one. I just don't see that happening with a substrate or planted tank.

My discus are growing at a fast rate that I never expected. I believe a big reason is I am getting a lot of the hormones out of the water and also the detritus out daily.

Willie
08-08-2020, 02:47 PM
This hobby is so easy if people would just make water changes...

Bud Smith
08-08-2020, 02:50 PM
Say what you want about a BB being ugly...

I cannot be convinced that a tank with substrate could possibly be as clean. I vacuum mine out every day. Sometimes twice. Hey, I'm retired with nothing else to do! I get tons of discus turds and I get most every one. I just don't see that happening with a substrate or planted tank.

My discus are growing at a fast rate that I never expected. I believe a big reason is I am getting a lot of the hormones out of the water and also the detritus out daily.

:thumbsup::

Vinni Smith
08-08-2020, 07:21 PM

Yes indeed Willie. I agree.

peewee1
08-08-2020, 07:59 PM

Too easy.

1. bare tank
2. add water
3. filtration
4. heat to 82 or 26.7
5. buy fish from forum sponsor
6. add fish to water
7. feed fish with Al's freeze dry black worms.
8. change water in some amount every week.
9. enjoy fish and stay updated at Simply Discus forum.

Options might be:
1. buy test kits so you know what your water is doing.
2. try different kinds of food for feed variety.
3. put flower pot or cone in case someone wants to spawn.