PDA

View Full Version : what are some pellet foods that discus will actually eat?

famtsberg
08-26-2020, 03:25 PM
As the title says i'm looking for some pellet or flake food that they will actually eat. I have bug bites and good flakes as well as slow sinking and other pellets. These buggers wont even sniff them.

I give them a small amount of beef heart once a day and bloodworms twice as day. I throw in some pellets in between but only the tank mates eat them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Fritz

Maddie
08-26-2020, 03:48 PM
I recently tried Vibra Bites and they took to it right away. I've had my discus over two years feeding a variety of food. So I was a bit surprised they took to a new food so easily.

fljones3
08-26-2020, 04:56 PM
I use Tropical D-50 Plus. You can find it at Kensfish.com

Oxboy
08-26-2020, 04:58 PM
As the title says i'm looking for some pellet or flake food that they will actually eat. I have bug bites and good flakes as well as slow sinking and other pellets. These buggers wont even sniff them.

I give them a small amount of beef heart once a day and bloodworms twice as day. I throw in some pellets in between but only the tank mates eat them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Fritz

Would you eat dog kibble between meals if you knew you were getting prime rib and lobster three times a day?

coralbandit
08-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Would you eat dog kibble between meals if you knew you were getting prime rib and lobster three times a day?

^^This ^^
Switch it up where you regularly feed the pellets and only after they eat you offer other treats ..That is how you power feed ..
I feed kens grow meal # 3 and Tropica D-50 plus along with freeze dried black worms and frozen blood worms ..
No beef heart for my fish .

Iminit
08-26-2020, 07:43 PM
I feed freeze dried black worms fdbw and blackworm flakes as their main foods. Bloodworm maybe twice a week the same with beefheart.

RichardTN
08-26-2020, 08:33 PM
Mine are extremely picky, i did try quite a few higher priced foods but they all ended up in the trash.

Someone here recommended Tetra Color XL Tropical Granules and they took them right away. I also feed some of Al's FD Black Worms.

jeep
08-26-2020, 08:35 PM
mine are extremely picky, i did try quite a few higher priced foods but they all ended up in the trash.

Someone here recommended tetra color xl tropical granules and they took them right away. I also feed some of al's fd black worms.

ditto!!

peewee1
08-26-2020, 10:02 PM
Small size Bug Bites, TetraColor, and Vibra Bites for my fish. Something to know is that discus do not have teeth but rather grinders in their mouths. They will take in a pellet and crush it , spit if back out, and if they can find the smaller pieces then or later then re-eat them.

Oxboy
08-26-2020, 11:07 PM
I feed freeze dried black worms fdbw and blackworm flakes as their main foods. Bloodworm maybe twice a week the same with beefheart.

Where do you get blackworm flakes? Why feed flakes if you already use the FD blackworms?

seanyuki
08-27-2020, 12:43 AM
Try here for Blackworms flakes.

https://kensfish.com/collections/kens-premium-flake/products/kens-premium-blackworm-flake

Or

https://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormCareM.html

Where do you get blackworm flakes? Why feed flakes if you already use the FD blackworms?

Iminit
08-27-2020, 12:50 AM
I buy the blackworm flakes from California black worms. Buy my fdbw from Al. The reason I use them is it’s not just blackworms they add other nutrients to them. I also use blackworm pellets and I buy the flakes and pellets off eBay.

bluelagoon
08-27-2020, 09:17 AM
I have tried a lot of different pellets. I find that all my species really like the floating Omega color pellets. The worst one was sinking North Fin pellets; it fouls the water and they won't eat it with vigor.

famtsberg
08-27-2020, 10:53 AM

Good point. I will try this. Thank you all for your input.

famtsberg
08-27-2020, 11:26 AM

Feed us! lol

dornblaser
08-27-2020, 11:26 AM
I feed Tropical D-50 Plus and freeze dried Blood Worms from 2 autofeeders. I hand feed freeze dried Tubflix worms and recently I mix it up with California Black Worm cubes. The OP asked about pellets my Discus love the Tropical D-50 Plus pellets.

Oxboy
08-27-2020, 12:43 PM
If you want sinking granules, it's hard to beat Royal Menu or Sera.

Willie
08-27-2020, 01:22 PM
I also feed Vibra Bites and discus, big and small, will eat them. The key is to feed dry food as the first meal of the day, when they're hungriest. Also, I recommend you stop the frozen red worms.

1. They're like ice cream to all fish species.
2. They have minimal nutrition.

I only use frozen red worms to get fish that stopped eating after shipping, or fish that went through medication, to eat again. I'll also use them as the last meal of the day if I need to power feed some individuals. But I don't feed them as a regular part of the diet. My fish get frozen beefheart, but as the second or third meal of the day. First feeding is flakes and dried food.

Oxboy
08-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Try here for Blackworms flakes.

https://kensfish.com/collections/kens-premium-flake/products/kens-premium-blackworm-flake

Or

https://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormCareM.html

Which flakes have you tried from California Blackworms? There are like 20 of them?!?

Iminit
08-27-2020, 05:41 PM
I’ve used the gro red,beef heart and color enhancing flakes. Discus ate them all. I mix them all up in a container gives them variety

famtsberg
08-31-2020, 10:14 AM
I got some bug bites flake, help off on beef heart and blood worms. They started to eat it. They don't gobble it up but they do eat it. Will try the blackworm flakes. Thanks for all the help.