PDA

View Full Version : Prophylactic Treatment Discus Fry In High Density Conditions

Holynehpets
09-05-2020, 08:13 AM
Hello All,

I have 60 discus juvinless in a 90 gallon tank, and have been weekly treating with PP as a Prophylactic due to density and high feed scdeules.

Is also recommended to treat with a dewormer such as PraziPro or another agricultural dewormer (levamisole)? I have heard some advice to treat growing fry monthly with a dewormer, from some posts.

Thanks!

Second Hand Pat
09-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Hello All,

I have 60 discus juvinless in a 90 gallon tank, and have been weekly treating with PP as a Prophylactic due to density and high feed scdeules.

Is also recommended to treat with a dewormer such as PraziPro or another agricultural dewormer (levamisole)? I have heard some advice to treat growing fry monthly with a dewormer, from some posts.

Thanks!

Hi, never treat fry with meds on a regular basis. Meds will actually set fry back growth wise and can stunt them. I would suggest not using PP either (too easy to burn and damage the gills). The best you can do is change lots of water even twice a day for high density situations like in your case.
Pat

Willie
09-05-2020, 08:55 AM
+1 Would also wiped down the tank surfaces regularly due to slime buildup. For that density, every day before the water change would not be excessive.

CliffsDiscus
09-05-2020, 08:09 PM
+2, the root problem stems from the breeding pair they pass their diseases to their offsprings. Clean up the breeding pair and you will have less problems.

Cliff