PDA

View Full Version : Water temperature question

syntaxx
09-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Hi, can I just put a discus fish from a 29.2 degrees tank to 29.4 degrees tank? I am new to discus and been into monster fish for years and I don't bother the point in degree very much. But since this is a discus I feel like I am in a new territory. Thanks

seanyuki
09-07-2020, 08:58 PM
No problem ...to me it just 29 degree Celsius and yr thermometer is shows digital readings.

syntaxx
09-07-2020, 09:20 PM
No problem ...to me it just 29 degree Celsius and yr thermometer is shows digital readings.

Thank you seanyuki!

peewee1
09-07-2020, 10:42 PM
Agree with Francis. In fact when I do the daily water changes to the two tanks that I have I fill a bucket with tap water using my finger to approximate the temperature of the tanks, add Prime, and pour in the water. The difference could be as much as 2 or 3 degrees higher or lower than the tank water. Have been doing this daily for 2 years or more with out a problem. The discus is more tolerant to changes than most give them credit for.

BrendanJ23
09-08-2020, 02:43 AM
You can , but it’s worth investing in a quality thermometer. Most available at pet stores are garbage and very inaccurate.

seanyuki
09-08-2020, 03:30 AM
For accuracy Infrared Digital Thermometer .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Infrared-Digital-Thermometer-with-Targeting-Laser-10-1-IR1/313516785

bluelagoon
09-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Why just "a" discus. Discus usually feel safer in groups.

Oxboy
09-08-2020, 02:41 PM
Why just "a" discus. Discus usually feel safer in groups.

This is really an understated point in discus keeping. I've only been keeping them for a year and everybody always talks about the Big 3 Discus Care Points: lots of water changes, warm temps and varied quality foods. IMO it should be a Big Four Points with the 4th pt being 6+ fish as an absolute bare minimum. I think the schooling aspect is an essential de-stresser. With all the WCs we do, you may as well have 8 fish in your discus main tank instead of 4 or 5. You will have less hiding, less bickering and it will be a more natural feel for them.

seanyuki
09-08-2020, 03:21 PM
The 4Qs.
1..buy quality discus from the start.
2..maintain quality water.
3..provide quality nutrition foods.
4..follow a strict quarantine procedure.

peewee1
09-08-2020, 10:00 PM
This is really an understated point in discus keeping. I've only been keeping them for a year and everybody always talks about the Big 3 Discus Care Points: lots of water changes, warm temps and varied quality foods. IMO it should be a Big Four Points with the 4th pt being 6+ fish as an absolute bare minimum. I think the schooling aspect is an essential de-stresser. With all the WCs we do, you may as well have 8 fish in your discus main tank instead of 4 or 5. You will have less hiding, less bickering and it will be a more natural feel for them.

The exception is 2 to 1 breeding tank.