PDA

View Full Version : So I am thinking in my head ......

Larry208
09-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Ok so I am writing this looking for ideas as to what I might do with my extra discus after they start paring off. (I know I am well ahead of the game), I am going to keep a pair of each to produce some same kind.

I am wondering what you all think as to mixing some of the different kinds of German with what I already have for some crosses. Am not sure if I even can, what you you guys think as to a third to maybe cross with mine. Can I do that and not mess up the genetics of them? I see what the Asian breeders do and come out with some fine crosses.

Larry

Willie
09-09-2020, 07:45 PM
They should do well in any cross except to a pigeon blood based strain. In that case, you'll just get muddy progeny. But you can cross these to Blue Diamonds, Snakeskins, Scorpions, Cobalts... Crosses to wild discus would also work.

Larry208
09-09-2020, 08:14 PM
Thank you Willie, appreciate it.
My thought was a mix of the 2 below:
Flachen Snakeskin
Leopard Snakeskin
Buy maybe 2 of each.

Willie
09-09-2020, 10:07 PM
That'll work. So you know, turquoise X snakeskin produces far fewer snakeskins than is typically expected. Asian breeders prefer crossing snakeskins to spotted fish, like red spotted greens, to produce high snakeskin spawns. Crossing a solid or near solid color fish to your guys will likely enhance the blues.

I think Stendker's Flachens are most representative of the classic area of discus breeding. If only I had more room...

danotaylor
09-09-2020, 11:50 PM
Larry it is also food for thought to keep an extra male & female of each strain in the unfortunate situation where you lose 1 of a pair. A nice display with all your back up stock. You could keep males & females separate so they don't bond into another pair, or you could just let pairs from and spawn in the display but not remove eggs or fry. If you need another male or female for any reason you already have them in hand.
Just a thought...

Larry208
09-10-2020, 07:32 AM
Larry it is also food for thought to keep an extra male & female of each strain in the unfortunate situation where you lose 1 of a pair. A nice display with all your back up stock. You could keep males & females separate so they don't bond into another pair, or you could just let pairs from and spawn in the display but not remove eggs or fry. If you need another male or female for any reason you already have them in hand.
Just a thought...

That is a good idea, I am planning my 75 gallon I am trying to setup to keep extras in just in case. It's on a 55 sump with approx 30 gallons in it so should be ok to keep maybe 8 fish in there.
Larry

danotaylor
09-10-2020, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a good plan mate :thumbsup:

CliffsDiscus
09-10-2020, 03:32 PM
Breeding LSS can be confusing, offsprings can have 8 or 14 stress bars. I usually separate the 14 bars snakeskin and the 8 stress bars these are turoquise, leopards, almost any 8 bar Discus depending on refinement of the hybrid.

The Flachen SnakeSkin may not have any Red Spotted Green inheritance so th result of crossing of the two may dilute the spottings.

Cliff

Willie
09-10-2020, 06:12 PM
As Cliff said, crossing to the Flachen Snakeskin may not produce many 14-bar discus. I suggest you call Hans and ask him directly. He knows more about Georg Stendker's breeding strategy than any of us and can probably steer you to the right genetics for crossing.

Have fun with it, Willie

Bud Smith
09-10-2020, 06:41 PM
Larry. I have santarums and fire reds that hopefully will be pairing off in the near future. I have had the same thought on breeding german crosses Been looking into it. Would be interested to see what you come up with. I want to have a pair of fire reds and same with santarums and then go from there.

smsimcik
09-11-2020, 03:54 PM
Larry. I have santarums and fire reds that hopefully will be pairing off in the near future. I have had the same thought on breeding german crosses Been looking into it. Would be interested to see what you come up with. I want to have a pair of fire reds and same with santarums and then go from there.

Since you mentioned crossing Fire Reds with Santarems, I thought I would give you my experience with that cross. The pair in my avatar are Fire Reds from Hans I raised from juvies. One of the tiny fry you see with the pair in the avatar grew up and paired with a Santarem I got from Hans. Fire Reds are pigeon based and Santarems are brown based. The offspring from that cross were a mix of peppered browns and orangish pigeons. None of the offspring were better than either of the parents. Some had more peppering than others. Overall, I found the results disappointing and I did not pursue that cross.

coralbandit
09-11-2020, 04:09 PM
What could be added to a fire red to 'enhance it and not make a peppered fish ?
Good info in this link.
Thanks guys .

Larry208
09-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Breeding LSS can be confusing, offsprings can have 8 or 14 stress bars. I usually separate the 14 bars snakeskin and the 8 stress bars these are turoquise, leopards, almost any 8 bar Discus depending on refinement of the hybrid.

The Flachen SnakeSkin may not have any Red Spotted Green inheritance so th result of crossing of the two may dilute the spottings.

Cliff

Thank you Cliff, appreciate your input, I am not knowledgeable as far as crossing breeds is concerned. You have been at this a lot longer than I have.

Larry208
09-13-2020, 10:33 PM
As Cliff said, crossing to the Flachen Snakeskin may not produce many 14-bar discus. I suggest you call Hans and ask him directly. He knows more about Georg Stendker's breeding strategy than any of us and can probably steer you to the right genetics for crossing.

Have fun with it, Willie

Thanks Willie I will do that, and see what he says.

Larry208
09-18-2020, 06:46 AM
So I heard back from Hans and he suggested:
"Something what would go very well with those are the Stendker Tefe.

But you can cross the Santarem and Red Scribbled with any other color, as long as they are NOT Pigeon based."

So may get a couple of those and maybe couple of the Flachen SnakeSkin and see what I might get.

Larry

Bud Smith
09-18-2020, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a plan. Very interested in seeing the results in the future.

Larry208
09-19-2020, 01:16 AM
Sounds like a plan. Very interested in seeing the results in the future.

Thank you Bud, it was interesting what Hans said, should be interesting to see what your fire reds do if you cross them.
Larry

CliffsDiscus
09-19-2020, 01:42 PM
I did cross the Fire Red with an Red Albino over a decade ago. Some nice clean Reds results. If I had crossed the Fire Reds with another albino most
likely the results would wash out the red.

Cliff