PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the best and least expensive place to buy an acrylic tank?

Amanda93
10-03-2020, 08:40 PM
So far the best and cheapest place I found to buy an acrylic tank is Dream Fish Tanks but the 55 gallon tank from Clear for Life is 530.00, alot of money. Does anyone know of a better deal then that. Also my Discus dealer said no need to age water for water changes, just put in some Prime, fill the tank and you are good to go.Can anyone help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank You, Anthony

Iminit
10-03-2020, 09:34 PM
Mine are clear for life. Though I’m looking at a place in Pennsylvania called acrylic creations now at there stuff. Nice looking product but shipping will be high. Where are you located?

danotaylor
10-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Aging your water is a must if you have a pH swing greater than 0.2 in either direction from what comes out of the tap and after it is gassed off. Check your pH right out of tap, then fill a 5 gallon bucket, heat to tank temp and aerate for 24 hours. If the change is great than 0.2 you need to age you water so as to not stress out your precious discus. If you do not need to age atm I would recommend rechecking by doing the same process as the seasons change as municipalities can change there process and delivery pressures etc which can significantly change your service water parameters. Micro bubbles can make your discus sick also, aging your water gets all the extra gasses out of the water before it goes into your tank.
It really is a very easy process to age water, and I recommend you do it for the sake of your discus anyway.
Who is your "discus dealer"? Is discus the focus of this supplier? If not, I would not take his/her advice, and ask all your questions here. Lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks will direct to success here on SD!

Second Hand Pat
10-03-2020, 10:28 PM
Hi Anthony, it is really important to age your water. On the acrylic tank try craiglist and FB Market Place. A little patience can yield you a nice acrylic used tank for a lot less money.
Pat

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:09 AM
Thanks, i've been searching those sites,no luck yet.

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:15 AM
hes a local guy. gets his discus from Malaysia and also breeds them.

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:17 AM
Thanks Second Hand, I have been visiting those sites with no luck yet.

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:33 AM
Hi Anthony, it is really important to age your water. On the acrylic tank try craiglist and FB Market Place. A little patience can yield you a nice acrylic used tank for a lot less money.
Pat

Thanks for the info Pat.

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:35 AM
Mine are clear for life. Though I’m looking at a place in Pennsylvania called acrylic creations now at there stuff. Nice looking product but shipping will be high. Where are you located?

Myrtle Beach

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:39 AM
Aging your water is a must if you have a pH swing greater than 0.2 in either direction from what comes out of the tap and after it is gassed off. Check your pH right out of tap, then fill a 5 gallon bucket, heat to tank temp and aerate for 24 hours. If the change is great than 0.2 you need to age you water so as to not stress out your precious discus. If you do not need to age atm I would recommend rechecking by doing the same process as the seasons change as municipalities can change there process and delivery pressures etc which can significantly change your service water parameters. Micro bubbles can make your discus sick also, aging your water gets all the extra gasses out of the water before it goes into your tank.
It really is a very easy process to age water, and I recommend you do it for the sake of your discus anyway.
Who is your "discus dealer"? Is discus the focus of this supplier? If not, I would not take his/her advice, and ask all your questions here. Lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks will direct to success here on SD!
He's a local guy here in Myrtle Beach, gets his Discus from Malaysia and also breeds them.

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 12:42 AM

Whats a better size for a Discus tank, a 36 inch 50 gallon or a 48 inch 55 gallon?

Iminit
10-04-2020, 09:37 AM
How about a 48” 90g :). Of those 2 get the 55. Check out offerup by me there’s a 55 clear for life with stand for $200 and a few 50’s for the same price.

Amanda93
10-04-2020, 01:30 PM
How about a 48” 90g :). Of those 2 get the 55. Check out offerup by me there’s a 55 clear for life with stand for $200 and a few 50’s for the same price.

Hey Tom, Thats an unbelievable deal, where are you located so I know what offer up site to go on.

captainandy
10-04-2020, 03:57 PM
if you want a clear for life look at the oetsmart website.
Just got my acrylic tank from American Aquatics in Pennsylvania - price includes shipping and real wood stand. Had to wait almost 4 months though

tonytheboss1
10-06-2020, 01:11 PM
:bandana: I believe PETCO's acrylic brand 'SEA CLEAR' might be a little less expensive. If you're not dead set on acrylic you might consider a glass 55g for now & plan for a larger more expensive acrylic or glass custom setup later. Just a thought. https://glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=2 -- https://www.customaquariums.com/majestic-stand-canopy-package-30x72x18.html "T"

JamesW
10-06-2020, 03:37 PM
I have a glass tank from glasscages.com they were great. Only had 4' of recessed space so went with a 3' x 2' x 2' custom from them. It was expensive but its my only tank and in the living room so it in constant site.

Iminit
10-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Sorry just saw the follow up. I’m from Long Island the tank is in the Bronx.