PDA

View Full Version : Here they are

Vinni Smith
10-14-2020, 04:06 PM
This is my group of losers....

two utes
10-14-2020, 04:24 PM
They dont look like losers to me. They're a beautiful group with lots of potential. I'm sure they will do well under your care

Willie
10-14-2020, 05:01 PM
They look exceptionally nice, Vinny. All but one are responding to big water changes and pristine hygiene. I think a light colored background would really make their colors pop even more.

Willie

Iminit
10-14-2020, 05:40 PM
They look great and getting big! Are those the checkerboards front right and left?

Vinni Smith
10-14-2020, 06:34 PM
They look great and getting big! Are those the checkerboards front right and left?

Thanks for the kudos guys.
Yes, those are Checkerboards. I have 4 of them.
3 are from Miranda. They are exceptional.
The one small Checkerboard is one of 3 I got from Macs. He has really been a challenge. One of them died and I had to re-locate the other to the tank out in the shop. He is still tiny but doing better. I think they were all three stunted. I am not really sure what that means, but as I read the description, they seem to fall into that category.

I have a few more discus in other tanks, but this is the tank up in our living room/den/kitchen area.
This is our main enjoyment tank.

Thanks also Willie. Are you referring to the small PB? Yeah, he is the one from Macs.
That was a sad batch of fish. Too bad really, I liked that guy on the phone.
But his fish sure did not pan out.
I also got 2 "ruby reds" from him.
One turned out to look like an orange Marlboro and the other is just a cream colored fish.
You live and learn.

Vinni Smith
10-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Well, today I see the new Checkerboards from Miranda are spawning in the main display tank.
They sure didn't waste any time!
I guess they are happy in there.

Iminit
10-30-2020, 08:54 PM
Nice!! Good luck!

seanyuki
10-30-2020, 09:30 PM
Nice looking discus from Josie/Miranda......are the eggs on the heater?

Vinni Smith
10-30-2020, 10:07 PM
Nice looking discus from Josie/Miranda......are the eggs on the heater?

No, that is a UV Green Killing Machine.

danotaylor
10-30-2020, 10:33 PM
Nice pair Vinnie, striking colors and nice consistent pattern :thumbsup:

Vinni Smith
10-31-2020, 08:43 AM
Nice pair Vinnie, striking colors and nice consistent pattern :thumbsup:

Thank you. And these are just her regular Checkerboards. She also had Super Checkerboards that were better.
Out of everything I have seen in the Discus hobby, I like Chicago Discus stock the best.
But please know, I am no judge or critic.
I just like my fish.

Iminit
10-31-2020, 09:07 AM
Like you I too am no judge or critic!! Your discus look great enjoy! Not sure but I don’t think the uv is a good place to lay eggs.
This is a dangerous time to get into discus! The colors and shapes of the fish are amazing. Really have to control myself or I’ll have a hundred more of these guys. Kenny’s adds should not be allowed:eek:. Bought this guy in sept.129382. Big difference since the 80s :).

Vinni Smith
10-31-2020, 10:04 AM
Like you I too am no judge or critic!! Your discus look great enjoy! Not sure but I don’t think the uv is a good place to lay eggs.
This is a dangerous time to get into discus! The colors and shapes of the fish are amazing. Really have to control myself or I’ll have a hundred more of these guys. Kenny’s adds should not be allowed:eek:. Bought this guy in sept.129382. Big difference since the 80s :).

I agree, the adds should come first with a warning and an adult disclaimer! LOL

That's a beauty bro. Very nice fish!

Yep, huge difference in the fish now and the 70s-80s.
i had a batch of about 10 in a 55 gal back then.
They were tough as nails though.
I fed them nothing but live tubifex worms.
Only changed the water about every 1-2 weeks.
Also kept them with angelfish.
Never a problem.
They would get dark and stop eating and I knew it was time for a WC.
Then I would only do about 25%
Under gravel filters only back then.
We did not have all this fancy shmancy stuff.

Then I got into salt water for about 15 years.

Vinni Smith
11-01-2020, 08:40 PM
No go on this spawn.
All the eggs turned white.

seanyuki
11-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Some of my checkerboard pigeons that I had 12 years ago.