PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace Dad.

brewmaster15
10-15-2020, 08:49 AM
I know I havent been active on the forum as much the last few years as I usually am. I've mentioned in the past that I am the primary caregiver for my Dad and Mom.My Dad had a host of medical problems and dementia and my Mom is fighting a hard fight against stage 4 cancer. I took over their responsibilities, drs visits, and care 3 years ago. They became my second household.They took care of me growing up.. I take care of them now.

My Dad's dementia was getting worse and one of the complications was balance.Falls became frequent. Two weeks ago he had a very bad one, hitting his head. The hospital tried to save him but could not. We got to say goodbyes in the hospital before he passed.. you might think its easier that way, I might have,it wasn't. Just like that I lost my Dad to an accident. Yesterday we lay him to rest. He was 78 years old.

My dad was a lone child raised by an Italian immigrant single mother...My mom is an Italian Immigrant as well.They had little and worked hard to raise a family of 11 kids of which I am oldest, they also shared their home with over 70 foster children over the years and adopted 7. They say you measure a persons life by what they do with it.. My Dad was a truly great man then.I will miss him.

REST IN PEACE DAD. and THANK YOU.

Willie
10-15-2020, 09:00 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss, Al. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Willie

farebox
10-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Sorry for lost my friend, God bless your parents. You have my deepest condolences. Love and peace out, Roland....

fljones3
10-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Al, you are honoring your parents well.
May the God of all comfort, comfort your heart in this time.

Frank

I know I havent been active on the forum as much the last few years as I usually am. I've mentioned in the past that I am the primary caregiver for my Dad and Mom.My Dad had a host of medical problems and dementia and my Mom is fighting a hard fight against stage 4 cancer. I took over their responsibilities, drs visits, and care 3 years ago. They became my second household.They took care of me growing up.. I take care of them now.

My Dad's dementia was getting worse and one of the complications was balance.Falls became frequent. Two weeks ago he had a very bad one, hitting his head. The hospital tried to save him but could not. We got to say goodbyes in the hospital before he passed.. you might think its easier that way, I might have,it wasn't. Just like that I lost my Dad to an accident. Yesterday we lay him to rest. He was 78 years old.

My dad was a lone child raised by an Italian immigrant single mother...My mom is an Italian Immigrant as well.They had little and worked hard to raise a family of 11 kids of which I am oldest, they also shared their home with over 70 foster children over the years and adopted 7. They say you measure a persons life by what they do with it.. My Dad was a truly great man then.I will miss him.

jeep
10-15-2020, 09:24 AM
My condolences to you and your family! I've been there and I know it's not easy and everyone has to deal with these situations in their own way.

seanyuki
10-15-2020, 09:28 AM
I would like to offer you and your family my deepest and most sincere condolences and may the soul of your father rest in peace.

tacks
10-15-2020, 10:40 AM
So sorry Al ED TAMASHUNAS

Herbicidal
10-15-2020, 10:56 AM
So very sorry for your loss. All my best to you and your family Al. Thanks for sharing that snippet about your father, truly impressive and an incredible role model! Definitely celebrate his life!

Sincerely,

Herb

LizStreithorst
10-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Your father sounds like he was a wonderful man. I'm sorry he had to suffer such hard final years. Al, I can see that you are very much like he was in his younger years. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have all my sympathy.

Disgirl
10-15-2020, 11:25 AM
I send my deep condolences to you and your family Al. What a remarkable life your father had and how wonderful of you to take such good care of your parents. You are an amazing son.
Barb

famtsberg
10-15-2020, 11:30 AM
As a son and father thank you for honoring your parents. You are an inspiration and I pray for Gods love and comfort in this difficult time.

Fritz

peewee1
10-15-2020, 11:33 AM
May you rest in peace, Mr. Sabetta.

SidJones
10-15-2020, 11:39 AM
My condolences, Al. You both were very fortunate to have each other.

gunnerschh2
10-15-2020, 12:29 PM
Sorry for your loss Al. God Bless.

FischAutoTechGarten
10-15-2020, 12:52 PM

Al,

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your father. I know that you've given much of your self, time, energy, resources to make life comfortable for both of your parents. You are a fine example of geniune compassion, concern and self-sacrifice. I hope that you and your family will draw strength and encouragement from one another.

My goodness your father was a great man! Worthy of imitation! What a legacy he leaves behind. Thank you for sharing a little bit about him with us. Your dedication to your own family and love of all living things, no doubt was the result of the example he set.

I lost my own father, barely 69, this Tuesday afternoon. I've made several trips to NC to check on him since Jan and I we were bringing him to Arizona on Nov 2nd as we thought he was now healthy enough to fly. Although ill, his passing was sudden and unexpected. We thought we had more time together.

We are assisting my mom who has demential and dislusional disorder. She does not like Arizona (we've tried that), preferring to live in Virginia near my sisters and her many grandchildren. We are flying there to setup her new apartment Oct 26th - Nov 2nd. She too is young, at just 67. While back east, we'll do a small service for my dad, with my step sibblings (my parents have been divorced for almost 40 years).

It will be difficult for your mother, but I sense that you are quite good at extending compassion, patience and love. Rally around her! Look forward to the time when you all will be re-united with your papa again. May the god who gives comfort, comfort you all.

Peter

captainandy
10-15-2020, 01:37 PM
What a difficult and challenging life you've led these past few years. My wife runs a practice dedicated to the care of those with Alzheimer's and so I am all too familiar with how dementia effects the entire family. But, somewhere up there, he's toasting his oldest boy, with a fine Chianti. And he hasn't stopped boasting about his family

4eye gold fish
10-15-2020, 02:13 PM
My deepest Condolences, wishing you hope and healing when you’re ready.

danotaylor
10-15-2020, 02:29 PM
Al my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your commitment to honouring your parents is a beautiful example to us all. I pray for peace as you grieve the loss of your wonderful dad. Blessings friend

dornblaser
10-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Losing a parent is one of the hardest thing to go through in life. Deepest condolences to you and your family, you have my prayers.

two utes
10-15-2020, 03:34 PM
My sincere condolences to you and your family during this difficult time Al. May he rest in peace

coralbandit
10-15-2020, 04:11 PM
My condolences to both of you Al and Peter .

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2020, 05:03 PM
Al, I am so sorry on the loss of your dad. There are just no words which can help. What a fantastic life your parents had together. Sounds like it was full of love, commitment, some hardship but also many happy memories. Hug your mom tight Al, she needs you more then ever...but also take care of yourself. It is not easy being a caregiver as you well know. Thinking of you and your family and the many siblings but mostly of your mom. It is the hardest to lose a child, second hardest to lost a spouse. Sending much love your way and many hugs. If you stop for an minute you may be able to feel it as I am sending it has hard as I can.
Your friend,
Pat

Second Hand Pat
10-15-2020, 05:04 PM
Peter, also sorry for the loss of your dad. Really bites that it was so sudden. Sending love and hugs your way too Peter.
Pat

Iminit
10-15-2020, 09:18 PM
Sorry for your loss. His memories will be with you forever.

Altum Nut
10-15-2020, 11:13 PM
I would like to offer you and your family my deepest and most sincere condolences and may the soul of your dad rest in peace.

pm9ljr
10-16-2020, 04:42 AM
wow...so sorry to hear... you are in our thoughts and prayers

Loid and Linda

bluelagoon
10-16-2020, 07:21 AM
My sincere condolences to you Al. I worked with dementia folks for the past 20 years. It's not easy to watch a parent decline with dementia.

Shan_Evolved
10-16-2020, 07:50 AM
Sounds like he was a badass. Old man Al's old man rest in piece! I'll have an extra drink to celebrate his life.

We love you Al

yogi
10-16-2020, 09:05 AM
I want to send my condolences to you.

brewmaster15
10-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your Kind and thoughtful words.Its a rough time for us right now, but I know it will get better in Time. I have not really had time to sit down and really grieve yet, My Mom needs alot of support and help , and my special needs brother is having a rough time also. But as I had my coffee today it really hit me that holidays and get togethers will be very different...someone thats always been there will be absent. Thats going to be hard.

Al

Peter, I am so sorry for your loss. I truly know how you must be feeling. We are two peas in a pod my friend. Hang in there.

brady
10-17-2020, 09:58 AM
Hey Al.
So sorry to hear about your dad. An amazing story. My parents were from Ireland and they had only 5,
but my God 11. Your parent were awesome individuals.
May the wind be always at his back and the sun shine down upon his face
and may God hold him in the hollow of his hands.
Rest in peace Mr. Sabbetta.

brady
10-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Hey Al.
So sorry to hear about your dad. An amazing story. My parents were from Ireland and they had only 5,
but my God 11. Your parent were awesome individuals.
May the wind be always at his back and the sun shine down upon his face
and may God hold him in the hollow of his hands.
Rest in peace Mr. Sabbetta.

Al
Sorry I didn't sign the above post.
Jay

matt2426
10-20-2020, 05:50 AM
Im so sorry to hear about your loss Al

LizStreithorst
10-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Do you need help with funeral expenses Al?

SpeedDiscus
10-28-2020, 10:35 AM
I cannot begin to imagine the pain and sadness you are experiencing in this moment. Know that he loved you and the care that you gave him until his final day was the very best you give him.

The world needs more people like your father. Rest in peace.

dpt8
11-06-2020, 12:28 PM
So sorry for your loss Al. Keep all the great and loving memories. David Touchette

Pardal
11-15-2020, 08:14 PM
Sorry, for your loss Al, god bless your parents, and keep all the good memories.
Julian

AquaticNerd
11-16-2020, 09:24 AM
Al,

So sorry for you loss. You father sounds like he was a great man who had a huge heart and shared it with many.

navarro1950
03-29-2021, 02:20 AM
Hi Al , Very sorry to hear of your father’s passing. You and all your family have my condolences.

sjaquatik
04-13-2021, 04:24 PM
A great man, RIP

brewmaster15
04-14-2021, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone. We are mending as best we can. It has been a very difficult 6 months now. I've stepped into his shoes and taken over for him, but its been a rough time. He managed all the finances for their household and my mom had no involvement. As his dementia got worse he became more and more disorganized. Picking up the pieces has been much like pretending to be Sherlock Holmes.

I strongly advise anyone with aging parents to take as active a role in their parents lives as they can, Be sure they have a detailed plan in place and that you have power of attorney at the appropriate time. I had POA for them, which has helped but my father left little info and his plan was a single notebook page entitled " how to cope when I am gone" it contained a brief list of navigational links on a laptop he had not owned in 2 years:( He stubbornly refused help with bills and finances out of pride, which I understand.Dementia is a terrible thing especially when you know you have it. I don't blame him, but I have learned from this alot and wanted to share it with you all. The time to get involved with your aging parents finances and property issues is when they alive and well....not when they are declining from illness or worse, have passed on as result. It sounds so easy but most likely you will need to have many long conversations with them before they accept your help...afterall, you are always their child and who wants their child to take the parents role?

al

Disgirl
04-14-2021, 03:09 PM
Good advice Al, this is just what I am having to do for my mom who is 97 now. She balked at first, but now she understands and feels at peace with me handling everything for her. Despair at losing her ability to do it all by herself has changed to thankfulness she doesn't have to worry about any of it now. Best wishes to you Al,
Barb

famtsberg
04-14-2021, 06:48 PM
Good people have a high likelihood of producing good people. You are living proof of this from your father and mother. Your father is right. Bless you and your family my friend.

Shan_Evolved
04-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Prayers and dua for you big boss Al. Youre a real role model to follow

JimmyK
04-21-2021, 07:54 PM
Al, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my Father many years ago so I know how that feels. After awhile the pain will be less and the great memories you two had will appear which helps greatly. I will remember your Dad, you and your family in my prayers. Jim

Tad
12-10-2021, 01:51 PM
Belated condolences to Al and his family, so sorry to hear of your loss!
Tad

jpm995
12-13-2021, 10:42 PM
RIP to your dad. There's no easy way to say goodbye. Your to be commended for the care you give your parents.