PDA

View Full Version : my discus eat the sand...

fitos1981
10-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Hello everybody. I have a 300 ltrs tank with 7 discus in it. Everything it's ok with their feeding and condition.
I have only one situation. When they picking in the sand they actually consume some. The result is when they poop, i see sand on theirs feces. Until now I thought it was ordinary but last night my discus had hard time pooping with a lot of sand in it. I'm afraid eventually they will get bloated by the sand. I considered to take the sand out and go bare bottom but I didn't paint my tank's bottom and I m afraid of reflections.
I also want to ask about epsom salt. I added 3 tsp per 80 gallons to help them. I didn't have result. Do I need more dosage of the salt?

danotaylor
10-18-2020, 08:23 PM
1-3tbsp/10 gal is the dosing for mag sulfate for constipation. Your other option is empty the tank, remove the sand and paint the bottom, but from inside the tank the fish do not see reflections.

fitos1981
10-18-2020, 10:54 PM
I don't want to stress the fish, remove them and empty the hole tank, also very risky.

danotaylor
10-19-2020, 12:29 AM
If you say so, but it seems they're at pretty high risk with the sand ingestion habit. You could siphon the sand out and not worry about painting the bottom. Discus that are used to frequent large water changes typically don't stress too much to be honest.

Second Hand Pat
10-19-2020, 06:18 AM
Hello everybody. I have a 300 ltrs tank with 7 discus in it. Everything it's ok with their feeding and condition.
I have only one situation. When they picking in the sand they actually consume some. The result is when they poop, i see sand on theirs feces. Until now I thought it was ordinary but last night my discus had hard time pooping with a lot of sand in it. I'm afraid eventually they will get bloated by the sand. I considered to take the sand out and go bare bottom but I didn't paint my tank's bottom and I m afraid of reflections.
I also want to ask about epsom salt. I added 3 tsp per 80 gallons to help them. I didn't have result. Do I need more dosage of the salt?

I have used sand in my tanks for a long time. I wonder if you need a larger grain of sand. What type of sand did you use? Most here will recommend pool filter sand.
Pat

fitos1981
10-19-2020, 06:51 AM
i put theis sand from jbl. https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/5017/jbl-sansibar-river . it said 0.8mm. I had thicker gravel before and I change it with this, so the food stays on top.

Second Hand Pat
10-19-2020, 07:33 AM
i put theis sand from jbl. https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/5017/jbl-sansibar-river . it said 0.8mm. I had thicker gravel before and I change it with this, so the food stays on top.

I found this for the grain size of PFS "Good quality filter sand is ground to a size of . 45 to . 55 mm in diameter which makes the edges very sharp which filters all of the dirt and particles." I wonder of what you have is too fine.
Pat

Iminit
10-19-2020, 08:49 AM
I would siphon the sand out at water change time. Don’t do it all at once take some out at each change. Is the tank planted? If not see how you like the bare bottom effect. If planted change out a 1/4 at a time. And add a larger grain sand or a small grain gravel. Are there other fish in the tank? Picture would be good :).

CliffsDiscus
10-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Do you have some poop eating Discus?

Cliff

captainandy
10-19-2020, 11:38 AM
First reported case of PICA in discus.

fitos1981
10-19-2020, 11:48 AM
No they don't eat poop. And yes, probably I'm the first lucky guy who his discus eat sand.
My tank is not planted, just some anubias. I guess I must take out the sand and see their reactions.

LizStreithorst
10-19-2020, 03:50 PM
It's a beautiful tank but it will still be beautiful without the sand.

fitos1981
10-19-2020, 04:25 PM
believe it or not, they are not stringy feces but sand.

Willie
10-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Or do nothing since all the discus look perfectly happy...

coralbandit
10-19-2020, 05:30 PM
Would it be worthwhile to try a larger size food so they can pick at it easier ?
What are you feeding them now ?

JamesW
10-20-2020, 02:56 PM
I agree with Willie!

So they eat sand and pass sand?

I've seen a discus pass poops that are 4-5 mm in diameter. I don't see why/how sand that is 0.8mm in diameter will cause a problem. You have a beautiful tank and what looks like happy healthy vigorously eating discus. Keep it and be happy!

fitos1981
10-20-2020, 03:34 PM
I did a water change today and vacuumed the half gravel. everything looks ok and no stress with the unpainted bottom. I think is the most wise choise. I feed many things. home receipe with beefheart, pellets, brine shrimp from tetra.