PDA

View Full Version : Jenene’s new group- single strain and shadow box background.

Jenene
11-27-2020, 11:53 AM
I’m back! To those of you who have been around awhile you may remember me. I disappeared for awhile as I got caught up with things around here. The growing reef tank takes a lot of my free time but since I decided on an early retirement and my original group of discus had dwindled over the years, a very wise and influential person in my life encouraged me to start fresh with a new, young group. I would have rather started with very small ones and raised them completely on my own but it’s very difficult to find any young in my area let alone good quality- so I watched what my good friend Kenny was bringing in. I often tell him browsing his offerings is like being in a candy store. Not the penny candy we knew as kids but more like Godiva` rich, gorgeous colors and varieties. I noticed a new one that caught my eye and I couldn’t stop considering them and decided to just make the move. A little more encouragement and it didn't take long after that last push. Soon after, I moved my existing group to my family room and went to work planning.
A few weeks later, the was tank clean with a new background, and my original group comfortable in a smaller tank with a divider to keep the aggression down.
I’ve had the new group for a few days now and they are spectacular already. I chose the Super Red Spotted Turquoise. I went with a group of eight. Kenny did what he does best and chose very carefully. I’ll add more in the coming weeks about their progress and the shadow box that ended up not looking anything like I had planned. It’s unusual though and simple enough to not distract from the main attraction. The main idea was to keep sharp objects out of the tank and debris catchers off the bottom. It does add depth which makes it unusual. It also has led lights that you can change color and brightness but so far I've kept brightness and crazy color changes to a minimum.
So here’s my introduction. My first page in a journal post I wish I would have started from my original group years ago. I always regretted not documenting that first tank. I learned so much from everyone here and a few unfortunate mistakes I made on my own. I’m ready for this new challenge with a freezer full of my own beef heart mix, their favorite freeze dried Australian black worms and an endless buffet of pellets that range from Forrest’ Teo's from Malaysia to huge packages I had won in the raffle and froze from the last NADA meet a few years ago. I'm ready for the uptick in water changes as well.
Here are a few pics from the first few days. I hope someday to reread this journal and remind myself of a great distraction and joy I discovered to help escape from a troubled, tumultuous time in this world. It's going to be a long, dark winter here in Upstate New York. I hope you can find a bright spot here as well.

Short Video here: Sorry about the cat:o
https://youtu.be/HB4-S5bbGfU

seanyuki
11-27-2020, 12:26 PM
Welcome back Jenene and those discus are looking good.

Jenene
11-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Thank you! Looking forward to watching them grow. They are eating really well already.:D

peewee1
11-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Welcome again. Before I read the text I know by the photo that those were Kenny fish. Kenny always has excellent fish, and you know that. You like red fish?

Jenene
11-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Welcome again. Before I read the text I know by the photo that those were Kenny fish. Kenny always has excellent fish, and you know that. You like red fish?

Thank you- yes he certainly does.

Disgirl
11-27-2020, 03:37 PM
They are beautiful Jenene! I also have a single strain tank and enjoy it more than my mixed, "fruit salad" tanks before. I have Stendker Flachens from Hans now. Enjoy your new pets! Good to see you back here,
Barb

two utes
11-27-2020, 05:04 PM
How exciting!
Its always very rewarding raising a group of discus, knowing that all your hard work influences how they end up. Too bad you couldn't find any younger fish, but the group you have been sent look great. The next few months will have a huge impact on how they turn out for you, and it looks like you already know what needs to be done.
l like the more natural look of single strain tanks, and your new shadow box background looks very unique...id be interested to know more about it.

Good luck with your new group, and welcome back.

Willie
11-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Single strain is the way to go, Jenene. Keep up your water changes and pretty soon that tank will start to look small.

Willie

Jenene
11-27-2020, 06:34 PM
They are beautiful Jenene! I also have a single strain tank and enjoy it more than my mixed, "fruit salad" tanks before. I have Stendker Flachens from Hans now. Enjoy your new pets! Good to see you back here,
Barb

Thanks Barb! It’s funny many people said they started out with a mixed group. I guess we need to get our favorite choices before we hone in.
Hans has beautiful fish as well. I was lucky enough to visit his operation in Baltimore a few years ago. It was amazing.
Thank you for the warm welcome back!

Jenene
11-27-2020, 06:41 PM
How exciting!
Its always very rewarding raising a group of discus, knowing that all your hard work influences how they end up. Too bad you couldn't find any younger fish, but the group you have been sent look great. The next few months will have a huge impact on how they turn out for you, and it looks like you already know what needs to be done.
l like the more natural look of single strain tanks, and your new shadow box background looks very unique...id be interested to know more about it.

Good luck with your new group, and welcome back.

Thank you Joe. I’ll post more on the background soon.

Jenene
11-27-2020, 06:51 PM
Single strain is the way to go, Jenene. Keep up your water changes and pretty soon that tank will start to look small.

Willie

Hi Willie, good to hear from you.
Yes you are right, the fully grown adults tend to take over the tank pretty quickly.
One thing I figured out and Kenny recently reminded me of was too make sure to make water changes as easy as possible. I just ordered a second soji screen to hide the aging barrel in the corner of the room. I have another in the living room disguising the salt water mixing barrel. My friends think I just have a thing for Asian furniture accessories. They’ve never asked about the hum of the air pump :p. Dragging 50 gallon barrels around even on wheels and you start finding excuses to skip changes after a long day. Hopefully I’m one step ahead of the lazy version of myself!

peewee1
11-27-2020, 06:54 PM

Willie

Willie, I suppose there is an evolution for some of us from mixed to single strain. When I returned after years of non discus back I was interested to learn of all of the developments of hybrid discus. So I jumped in and used the kid in the candy store method of choosing one each of everything. So after I learned that Kenny had wild versions as well so I began working back to my genesis of keeping wild fish. Now I have only two left over from my original order. I have found a local source for wild discus imported direct from the Amazon so eventually, as then become available, I will buy them. Jenene journal will be interesting going forward. Tomorrow you have an interesting MAS meeting topic. I will be working.

peewee1
11-27-2020, 06:58 PM
Hi Willie, good to hear from you.
Yes you are right, the fully grown adults tend to take over the tank pretty quickly.
One thing I figured out and Kenny recently reminded me of was too make sure to make water changes as easy as possible. I just ordered a second soji screen to hide the aging barrel in the corner of the room. I have another in the living room disguising the salt water mixing barrel. My friends think I just have a thing for Asian furniture accessories. They’ve never asked about the hum of the air pump :p. Dragging 50 gallon barrels around even on wheels and you start finding excuses to skip changes after a long day. Hopefully I’m one step ahead of the lazy version of myself!

It has already become evident that you have a flair for artistic and decoration. Should your friends ever ask about the humming you could tell them it's your Bhramari breath. They will be very impressed.

Jenene
11-27-2020, 09:56 PM
It has already become evident that you have a flair for artistic and decoration. Should your friends ever ask about the humming you could tell them it's your Bhramari breath. They will be very impressed.

Well... you lost me on that one. Googling it at first I only came up with a brewery in Ashville, NC. A few more minutes and I got it.

coralbandit
11-28-2020, 06:09 AM
Good looking fish there !
Perfect timing to get through the upstate winter ..
Good luck and looking forward to progress reports ..

Second Hand Pat
11-28-2020, 08:18 AM
Hi Jenene, nice to see you back and what gorgeous fish of fish from Kenny. I recall seeing them in Kenny's shipment thread. They are unique and beautiful. :D Looking forward to seeing them grow out for you.
Pat

bluelagoon
11-28-2020, 09:00 AM
I really like the one strain look and that strain is nice. Great looking tank and welcome back.

Jenene
11-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Thank you! There’s just something about the combination of the darker red color similar to the red covers that I’ve always loved and the patterns of of the Turks and diamonds. I hear they will color up even more as the adjust time their new surroundings. I’m beginning to notice some blue in the fins and cheeks. I’m really glad I stuck with my first instincts on these. There are so many to choose from but these stood out immediately.

Yes, they are a great distraction. My first full winter retired- between the reef tank, two discus tanks and home projects I certainly won’t be bored!

Jenene
11-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Hi Jenene, nice to see you back and what gorgeous fish of fish from Kenny. I recall seeing them in Kenny's shipment thread. They are unique and beautiful. :D Looking forward to seeing them grow out for you.
Pat

Thank you Pat,

I meant to ask Kenny when he first started getting them. I almost always scrolled through each shipment notice just to torture myself but first discovered them in October.

They are really excepting most of the foods I’ve tried so far except pellets. They are mainly getting beef heart and the freeze dried black worms but definitely want them trained on good pellets to fill in any nutritional gaps. I love the look of the big, healthy, beefy fish. They always seem to have the best disease resistance as well.

Hope all is well with you!

Jenene
11-28-2020, 02:16 PM
I really like the one strain look and that strain is nice. Great looking tank and welcome back.

Thank you! I’m really excited and thankful I was able to get my hands on them and a big group all at once. Kenny went above and beyond as usual. I’ve never taken that for granted. I’ve received some corals for my reef from others in pretty bad shape. I’ve never had a single worry with Kenny’s methods. Delivery day is like Christmas. Lots of unwrapping!

Thank you for the kind words on the tank. It’s completely different than what I was going for but I kind of like it for now. :o

danotaylor
11-29-2020, 12:39 AM
Beautiful Jenene! Looking forward to seeing them mature. Enjoy your new fishies :thumbsup:

Willie
11-29-2020, 10:08 AM
I feed dry food first thing in the morning and don't start with frozen food until mid-afternoon. It took mine less than a week to accept pellets that way.

discuspaul
11-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Really super to have you back, Jenene - we missed you !!

Jenene
11-30-2020, 07:31 PM
I feed dry food first thing in the morning and don't start with frozen food until mid-afternoon. It took mine less than a week to accept pellets that way.

I took the opposite approach but see your reasoning. I’m trying to get the messy beef heart feedings in early and leave the cleaner foods for later in the day so I’m not having to do water changes later at night. I know they will accept pellets more readily when they are at their hungriest so I’ll have to switch it up soon. They definitely prefer the beef heart and black worms over pellets. Pellets are definitely a must for ease and to fill in nutritional gaps.

Jenene
11-30-2020, 07:33 PM
Really super to have you back, Jenene - we missed you !!

Awe!!! Thanks Paul! I missed being here. It’s good to have something new to share.

Anything good cooking lately?

discuspaul
12-01-2020, 11:08 AM
Awe!!! Thanks Paul! I missed being here. It’s good to have something new to share.

Anything good cooking lately?

Actually, yes - I recently found what I think is a superb-tasting recipe for Irish Shepard's Pie (but made with ground beef instead of lamb), that I'll be happy to post if you, Liz or anyone else wants it. It's one of the best casseroles dishes I've ever had, especially on a cold winter night, and it's very simple - i.e. with simple ingredients & procedure.

tacks
12-01-2020, 02:14 PM
What was the size when you brought them? Ed

Jenene
12-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Actually, yes - I recently found what I think is a superb-tasting recipe for Irish Shepard's Pie (but made with ground beef instead of lamb), that I'll be happy to post if you, Liz or anyone else wants it. It's one of the best casseroles dishes I've ever had, especially on a cold winter night, and it's very simple - i.e. with simple ingredients & procedure.

Yes! I’d love the recipe. I’m sure it’s very versatile and perfect for winter. Thank you!

Jenene
12-01-2020, 07:04 PM
What was the size when you brought them? Ed

Hi Ed, five were from the smallest group of 4”. Three were from a larger group I believe went up to 4.5”.

Iminit
12-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Hello Jenene. Great looking discus. Good luck with them! Me I like the mixed bag. Hey there has to be one :). I buy 2 of each type and have discus from a few different vendors.

discuspaul
12-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Yes! I’d love the recipe. I’m sure it’s very versatile and perfect for winter. Thank you!

OK - I'll post it to the forum "RECIPES" section soon.

Cosgrovb
12-03-2020, 02:22 AM
Welcome back. I very much like your new fish and your artistic background. I will follow this thread. Hope they turn out great!

Jenene
12-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Welcome back. I very much like your new fish and your artistic background. I will follow this thread. Hope they turn out great!

Thank you! So far so good- a little more than a week in. They all seem to be eating. I’m feeding for times a day and doing about 65% water changes daily since the beef heart is so messy. They still aren’t used to even dim lighting for long periods- in fact, inflating a garbage bag to put in the kitchen container set them off into the glass this evening. I’m working my way up slowly.
The background is staying dark for now. I think it’s adding an additional panic factor. I actually don’t mind it that way. I like the less obtrusive.

Thanks for following. I hope to show some nice growth and a beautiful group of big beefy, healthy fish in the coming months. A common goal here, although each story can be quite different. We all have different struggles with many variables. I hope I can find some time to get back into everyone else’s news here. I used to be very involved. Life just kind of takes over sometimes.

Jenene
12-26-2020, 07:41 PM
I can’t believe how fast time has flown. I started an update a few weeks ago and had trouble uploading pics from my phone and just never got back to it. I just reread the auto saved one and it’s all old news now so I trashed that one. I’ll try again. In the discarded update a bully had emerged, they were still very shy and not eating pellets. That’s all changed. The fighting has calmed, they are eating like sharks and their coloring has become more vibrant than I could have imagined as they’ve settled in. I’ve noticed that they morph from a bright orange to a deep blood red depending on their mood like chameleons. When they are calm the deep red sets in and their turquoise markings seem to actually glow like they are lit from inside. I’m really happy with this strain and I’m curious about their background. My guess would be perhaps something like a Red Cover, another of my favorites, especially the blue faced variety. These actually do get a blue blush in their cheeks when they are at their deepest red. I’ve been meaning to ask Kenny or Forrest. It would be fun to know.
Other than their settling in there’s nothing much to tell. I’m feeding 4-5 times a day, and doing 50% water changes daily since I’m feeding so heavily.
Oh yes- I HAVE done something I said I would never do when I first started with discus. I added a new canister filter to supplement the surface area for beneficial bacteria and it also allows me to get the sponge filters out of the display. I know everyone has their own reasons for their filter choices. I’ve come full circle. I had a canister on my community tank years ago and became very lazy about maintaining it- out of sight out of mind. The fish became nitrate addicts and couldn’t handle the shock of clean water. I’m no longer lazy (as you know “discus” and “lazy” can’t exist in the same sentence without the word “disaster” following immediately after) so that is no longer a factor. My first discus tank had a sump. It was an out of the box sump (not custom) and really designed more for a reef tank than discus. It was impossible to clean and a huge, cavernous hiding spot for detritus. Pulling it apart and bucket vacuuming more often than I thought acceptable or fair was an annoying, all afternoon project.
After I set up the reef tank, that needed the sump and the discus tank just had sponge filters. I loved the easy maintenance of them other than the food ending up underneath them while the discus were still grazing even if the power was off. I also found water clarity suffered a bit as well and I was never happy with the esthetics of them. So... full circle- I started looking into a new canister, not to replace water changes but since I’m feeding a lot during grow out I thought I’d try it again and something else as well. I had a surplus of nitrate absorbing pads I bought for the reef and never ended up needing. They were just taking up space in my fish supply closet (yes, I have an entire closet) and reminding me I had wasted money on them. I custom cut one to make four pieces. I’m just interested to see what it does to the nitrate level. I used to use similar phosphate pads in the reef and they did a nice job as long as you pay attention and keep up with testing so you know when they are depleted. If it can knock it down a little I’ll keep putting them in there. They put a nice polish on the water too. I’ll be testing before water changes just to see if.. how much and for how long they have (if any) any benefit.
So that’s about it for now. I’m enjoying them being more acclimated so they are now those bright beautiful balloons we all love, rising and falling so calmly that you can’t help but just stop what you are doing...in your tracks and just enjoy them.
I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season in a creative, safe way. Happy new year!

peewee1
12-26-2020, 07:59 PM
Floating balloons, vibrant changing colors...mind sharing what meds might inspire all of this in you? And those are nice Kenny fish.

Jenene
12-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Floating balloons, vibrant changing colors...mind sharing what meds might inspire all of this in you? And those are nice Kenny fish.

Okay Peewee, this is for you: They are really pretty and I like to watch them swim. :p

peewee1
12-26-2020, 10:56 PM
Okay Peewee, this is for you: They are really pretty and I like to watch them swim. :p

YES! I am intrigued by the fish second from the bottom. It has an almost unbroken blue ring beginning at the front of the dorsal fin that continues around the fish and ending at the ventral fin.

danotaylor
12-26-2020, 11:00 PM
Really nice Jenene. They look to have grown considerably as well. Very nice :thumbsup:

Jenene
12-27-2020, 07:33 AM
Really nice Jenene. They look to have grown considerably as well. Very nice :thumbsup:

Thank you! That was one if the reasons I thought this space would help document their growth. It’s like kids under your nose everyday. It’s harder to see changes.
Thanks for the encouraging words!

Jenene
12-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Hello Jenene. Great looking discus. Good luck with them! Me I like the mixed bag. Hey there has to be one :). I buy 2 of each type and have discus from a few different vendors.

Hi Tom,
I sincerely apologize for my late reply. Your note was at the end of a page and I must have missed it when I followed up with the others. You make a great point though. How boring would it be if we all approached the hobby the same way? That’s why this is such an interesting space. I never regretted my first tank of mixed varieties. Visitors in my home drop their jaws at the array of colors. It is a spectacular sight. It also really gave me a chance to decide on each of my favorite attributes. It can be really hard to narrow the choices down with a mix. I always joked I’d need a 1000 gallon tank to fit them all in. I’m constantly seeing new strains I love. The Cupera Cross are high on my list too. I may have destroyed the spelling there.
Then we have the wild side. Someday maybe. For now though I’m enjoying raising these and watching others enjoy theirs.
You mentioned mixing from different sources. Have you ever encountered disease issues? Do you QT? Do you mix Asian and German? I’ve always been curious since I’ve never been much of a risk taker. When I have more time I’ll look into your posts and see what I can find.
I’ve missed spending time here on Simply. It’s really a great community here. Thank you for your kind note!

Second Hand Pat
12-27-2020, 09:30 AM
Hi Jenene, gorgeous group of fish and love the tank, both are very unique :D You were close on Cuipeua :D
Pat

tacks
12-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Jenene Did you get a new canister filter? What make? How big is your tank? thanks Ed

Jenene
12-27-2020, 01:53 PM
Hi Jenene, gorgeous group of fish and love the tank, both are very unique :D You were close on Cuipeua :D
Pat

Thanks so much Pat, I’m enjoying both. The shadow box has grown on me after my initial disappointment of having a completely different result from what I was expecting. I’ll explain that process soon. People here could get very creative with it. I was going for a more simple look- which I think I did achieve that much anyway.
Ha ha you are very polite I’m surprised you even recognized what variety I was trying to say! Thank you!

Jenene
12-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Jenene Did you get a new canister filter? What make? How big is your tank? thanks Ed

Hi Ed,
Yes I did. I had an old Marineland running years ago. It was expensive and well made but it was really hard to open and clean and the gaskets would wear out quickly and it would leak. It sat in the garage until it finally got thrown out. I told myself I’d never use it with a discus tank and out it went.

My tank is a 75 gallon. I was just searching on Amazon and stumbled across a Pennplax Cascade. I was hesitant since I hadn’t had any experience with that company since I was a kid buying those clear box filters with the charcoal and floss. Whoa... dating myself again here. This particular canister had received over five thousand nearly 5 star reviews. I wasn’t going to go crazy on the most expensive one since it’s just a supplement to my water changes. I was surprised at how inexpensive it was. It looks likes it’s even dropped again plus they offer an instant coupon and I had a return credit so it ended up costing me $30 out of pocket. It is small at 17” but claims to cycle through 265 GPH and it is rated for a 100 gallon tank. It is a available in other sizes. It’s now been running about a week. I had the double type hanging narrow foam filters along with the regular larger ones running but stuck the smaller ones right in a basket to seed the media. I must say the material it’s made of seems kind of flimsy and the baskets are not huge, but it releases nicely from the very secure tank hoses and is so easy to get into. I also like the fact that you can see into it- extra insurance about being aware of what’s going on in there. It’s also whisper quiet and comes with a spray bar or the regular return spout. I have the spray bar on and use it with an Alexa enabled smart plug so I can voice command off and on for feedings. The water looks and smells really clean. I’m really happy with it so far. In case anyone is curios here’s the link:

Penn Plax Cascade CCF3UL Canister Filter For Large Aquariums and Fish Tanks – Up To 100 Gallons, Filters 265 GPH,Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJ9NY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_XHm6Fb0PB536X?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1

peewee1
12-27-2020, 02:28 PM
Thanks so much Pat, I’m enjoying both. The shadow box has grown on me after my initial disappointment of having a completely different result from what I was expecting. I’ll explain that process soon. People here could get very creative with it. I was going for a more simple look- which I think I did achieve that much anyway.
Ha ha you are very polite I’m surprised you even recognized what variety I was trying to say! Thank you!

Will you be posting the box here, or begin a new thread?

Second Hand Pat
12-27-2020, 03:06 PM

Hi Jenene, Cuipeua is a location name for a very nice wild red discus :D
Pat

Iminit
12-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Hey Jenene yes I’ve mixed German with Asian. There is a thread running about mixing. I added my mixing :).130009 left is a Kenny’s red tiger and right s a Hans.

Jenene
12-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Hi Jenene, Cuipeua is a location name for a very nice wild red discus :D
Pat

That’s interesting! I think it would be a fun project to learn more background on these guys. I usually do research like that first before jumping in but there was too much to learn maintenance wise. I have watched videos of wild discus collecting though. That’s a start! :D

Jenene
12-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Hey Jenene yes I’ve mixed German with Asian. There is a thread running about mixing. I added my mixing :).130009 left is a Kenny’s red tiger and right s a Hans.

Thanks Tom, I’ll go and look. I’m not planning on trying it but I’m sure it raises some interesting conversations. Thank you!

two utes
12-28-2020, 02:00 AM
They're coming along nicely in your care Jenene, and with the amount of feeds and water changes you're doing i'm sure they are going to end up big and beefy.
I've always liked watching young discus grow and develop especially when i've been able to grow them out myself. I'm sure you've been able to identify individuals from their unique markings. It would be very interesting to find out their origins too. Ive been running a canister filter in my main tank from day dot, and haven't had a problem with it. Sounds like you got a real bargain....good for you.
You've mentioned your reef tank a few times on here, and i know you were going through a huge learning curve. Maybe if you have time you can share some pictures and an update on the thread you started for it?

Good luck with the group and the grow out....so far...so good

Jenene
12-28-2020, 09:17 PM
Thanks Joe,
Yes, as you know from experience lots of feedings mean lots of big water changes but you only get one shot at it. I’ve had a couple from my last group that never reached their full potential. One was most likely my fault- she must have gotten stressed at some point and became ill. She recovered but never caught up to the others regarding her size. The other was a an albino. I found out once I had him that they tend to have poor eye sight and it made feeding difficult. I spot fed when I could but it was never enough for good health. I’m trying to avoid past mistakes and do the best I can to keep them clean, well fed and stress free.
The reef has definitely been a project- more like a roller coaster. So much has happened I wouldn’t know where to begin. I’ll go back and see where I left off but I may have to fast forward a bit.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jenene
07-02-2021, 04:21 PM
I have no idea where the time has gone. I’ve been meaning to update the progress on my new group for months. I have some spare time lately and took some new pics and video.
They’ve really grown in the last 7 months since they arrived. Kenny would have been so happy with these. I really miss sending him pictures, updates and well wishes. He always seemed to appreciate my notes even though he was always so busy.

The one problem I’ve had is I switched over to a canister filter awhile ago and I had no idea how fast it would a accumulate nastiness. I had cleaned it out rinsing the media in a bucket of tank water about every two and a half weeks and noticed one of them had developed pop eye. Darn! You know your water is terrible shape when that happens. I was doing about 65-70% every other day and I had no idea it had gotten this bad. I did huge water changes daily and now I know better and check the filter about one every 7-10 days. I give the media a light rinse and replace the floss- they seem much happier. I’d sworn I’d never go back to canisters since they can become nitrate factories but I really thought I was on top of it. The beef heart set me back I’m sure.

That issue has cleared itself up and they are still growing and eating like beasts. I was lucky enough to stop in at Chicago Discus when I was in town a few days ago and Miranda generously shared her beef heart recipe with me. Walked me through step by step and showed me how to find it on her website. This is my favorite part of the hobby- meeting all the people who love these fish as much as I do. Kindred souls.
Happy Fourth of July ����

https://youtu.be/w3xTgUWOctk

seanyuki
07-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Nice looking discus with great shape too.

Second Hand Pat
07-02-2021, 08:29 PM
Jenene, these guys look wonderful. Kenny would be proud :D Nice job!
Pay

Jenene
07-02-2021, 09:12 PM
Thank you so much Pat, that means a lot.
I think about him every time I look at them.

I took a few more from the short side of the tank after I posted these. They came out pretty well, although I am certainly not a photographer. I’ll put them up now.

Jenene
07-02-2021, 09:17 PM
Nice looking discus with great shape too.

Thank you so much. Forrest sent Kenny some really beautiful fish.

Jenene
07-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Here’s a few more I took after I posted my last ones. I never thought of taking some through the end of the tank. 131576

Jenene
07-02-2021, 09:25 PM
Uh oh… Pat can you flip those? Sorry! No idea why that happens. Any advice to avoid it next time?

seanyuki
07-02-2021, 09:57 PM
Rotated

seanyuki
07-02-2021, 10:20 PM
Why are my pictures posting upside down or sideways on the forum?

If you're posting pictures that look normal on your computer, phone or tablet, but when you upload them to Koiphen they seem to randomly post upside down or sideways, here are some tips.

When taking pictures with your mobile device, which many of us do, most software programs can tell which way you had it positioned when you took the picture so it knows which way is "up". Koiphen can't do that. It is assuming you have the device position in "landscape" mode, meaning you have it positioned horizontally and the "top" of the device is on the side.

This is Portrait:

This is Landscape:

Name: Landscape.jpg
Views: 1208
Size: 70.9 KB

Even if positioned in landscape it's also important that it is positioned so the top part of the device is on the left side.
Many phones have their brand logo at the top; if so you need to have that brand logo on the left in landscape mode. If there's no logo, "up" is
how you would hold the device if you were using it as a phone.
To illustrate how the forum handles the pictures I took some with the Samsung logo or "up" side pointed in different directions. Now these all
looked "right" on the device and in my software program... but here's how it looks when taken in portrait mode with the brand logo of the
device is at the top:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?159923-Why-are-my-pictures-posting-upside-down-or-sideways-on-the-forum&

Uh oh… Pat can you flip those? Sorry! No idea why that happens. Any advice to avoid it next time?

Iminit
07-02-2021, 11:21 PM
Great looking discus! Glad there working out!!

danotaylor
07-02-2021, 11:42 PM
Really pretty discus Jenene...beefing up nicely :thumbsup:

matt parsons
07-03-2021, 12:41 AM
Very nice fish Jenene.
I really like the fish on the right in your first pic. They are all very nice fish but the color is fantastic on that one.
I especially like the body shapes and the high fins.
Great job!
Have a great holiday, Matt

Jenene
07-03-2021, 07:28 AM
Why are my pictures posting upside down or sideways on the forum?

If you're posting pictures that look normal on your computer, phone or tablet, but when you upload them to Koiphen they seem to randomly post upside down or sideways, here are some tips.

When taking pictures with your mobile device, which many of us do, most software programs can tell which way you had it positioned when you took the picture so it knows which way is "up". Koiphen can't do that. It is assuming you have the device position in "landscape" mode, meaning you have it positioned horizontally and the "top" of the device is on the side.

This is Portrait:

This is Landscape:

Name: Landscape.jpg
Views: 1208
Size: 70.9 KB

Even if positioned in landscape it's also important that it is positioned so the top part of the device is on the left side.
Many phones have their brand logo at the top; if so you need to have that brand logo on the left in landscape mode. If there's no logo, "up" is
how you would hold the device if you were using it as a phone.
To illustrate how the forum handles the pictures I took some with the Samsung logo or "up" side pointed in different directions. Now these all
looked "right" on the device and in my software program... but here's how it looks when taken in portrait mode with the brand logo of the
device is at the top:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?159923-Why-are-my-pictures-posting-upside-down-or-sideways-on-the-forum&

Wow! Thank you! That was driving me crazy! Very helpful and thorough advise! Now I won’t have to bother admin any more. I appreciate that!

Jenene
07-03-2021, 07:34 AM
Great looking discus! Glad there working out!!

Thank you Tom. So am I, these were among the last shipments that Kenny sent out. I miss him and I’m terrified something will happen to them so I am beyond careful maintaining them. I probably underfeed a tad since I’ve battled a few bacterial issues despite big water changes every other day. I’ve heard my higher ph can actually encourage bacteria which would explain some of it. Mine runs around 8.2.

I’m hoping to attempt breeding just for the experience when they mature a bit more.

Jenene
07-03-2021, 07:36 AM
Really pretty discus Jenene...beefing up nicely :thumbsup:

Thank you Daniel. I have a three pound beef heart in my fridge that I picked up yesterday. Time to do some food prep.

Jenene
07-03-2021, 07:41 AM
Very nice fish Jenene.
I really like the fish on the right in your first pic. They are all very nice fish but the color is fantastic on that one.
I especially like the body shapes and the high fins.
Great job!
Have a great holiday, Matt

Thank you Matt,
Thank you yes, they do have really nice composition. Kenny chose well. I feel like I have his legacy swimming in my home. I’m thrilled with this group. I hope to continue to grow them out and perhaps try breeding some day.

I wish you a safe and relaxing holiday as well

nah
07-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Jenene, these guys look wonderful. Kenny would be proud :D Nice job!
Pay

Those are nice fish, Jenene. Forrest will be proud. Unfortunate Kenny is gone but not forgotten and yet we can still squire them via our two new sponsors. Do any look like they are paring? Maybe too young yet.

Disgirl
07-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Wow, those are real beauties Jenene! I know they are getting great care from you, Kenny would definitely be proud.
Barb

LizStreithorst
07-03-2021, 09:32 PM
Jenene that first pic could win a contest.

Jenene
07-04-2021, 07:49 AM
Thank you Francis!

Jenene
07-04-2021, 07:51 AM

Jenene that first pic could win a contest.

Wow, thank you Liz.

Jenene
07-04-2021, 07:56 AM
Wow, those are real beauties Jenene! I know they are getting great care from you, Kenny would definitely be proud.
Barb

Thank you so much Barb. I really miss him. They have a special place in my heart. I’m terrified something g will happen to them.
I posted these pics on my Facebook page and I had the sweetest comment from Kenny’s sister. She’s as kind and sweet as he was.
One pair has taken over your cone. It’s so beautiful. You do such a nice job with those.

Jenene
07-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Those are nice fish, Jenene. Forrest will be proud. Unfortunate Kenny is gone but not forgotten and yet we can still squire them via our two new sponsors. Do any look like they are paring? Maybe too young yet.

Thank you. Yes, I’ll never forget that man. I can still hear his voice in my head. I call him the kindest man I never met. I was going to get out there to meet him this summer. I would like to visit his sister though next time I’m out that way. She’s so much like him.

Yes I have one solid pair that lays eggs often. I believe there is another forming as well. My water is too hard for them to hatch. At some point I’d like to try them. I’m really weary about playing around with the water though. I have an R/O system for my reef but I’m so afraid to mess with them and stress them out.

Jenene
07-04-2021, 06:57 PM
Here you go Barb. This cone you made is hot real estate. It looks as perfect as the day I brought it home. They are getting ready for another attempt. I always feel guilty at how hard they work and they just won’t hatch in my water.

danotaylor
07-04-2021, 10:08 PM
Thats a beautiful pair Jenene!!

Disgirl
07-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Here you go Barb. This cone you made is hot real estate. It looks as perfect as the day I brought it home. They are getting ready for another attempt. I always feel guilty at how hard they work and they just won’t hatch in my water.

Jenene, that is such a beautiful picture I am saving it in my favorite fish album!

Shan_Evolved
07-12-2021, 02:09 PM
Stunning!! Big ol colorful plates. Love them