PDA

View Full Version : San Merah

dornblaser
12-10-2020, 01:26 PM
I am having trouble figuring out what the standard, if there is one, for the San Merah discus. I purchased three juveniles from a reliable source and I am thinking of purchasing 3 more to put into a 75 gallon tank that I will be setting up as a strain specific tank but I am unclear what the adults will be like. Do they all have blue on their fins? I assume no striations once the fish are adults? Any thoughts on this strain? Thanks.

Post-Script: I did search SD and found this thread: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?135019-SAN-merah&highlight=san+merah It is actually Shime's picture in that thread that is throwing me off as that fish is solid red, not like the current photos on the internet.

seanyuki
12-10-2020, 02:30 PM
IMO San Merah are barless ,Red Cover has eye bar and Rose Red are throwback from San Merah.

San Merah

Red Golden Diamond

Red Valentine

dornblaser
12-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I have seen some with blue fins as well. Sometimes Red Rose's and San Merah look very similar. I am looking for bright fish for this tank but no yellows so there is not food additive conflict.

seanyuki
12-10-2020, 02:51 PM
These days Red Cover are cross bred(Select breeding) to have blue face or blue halo....

seanyuki
12-10-2020, 02:58 PM
True San Merah is a barless discus......Rose Red are throwbacks......if I remember correctly San Merah mated with another San Merah will have a percentage with no bars and percentage with bars.....perhaps other members here could chime in.

Thanks. I have seen some with blue fins as well. Sometimes Red Rose's and San Merah look very similar. I am looking for bright fish for this tank but no yellows so there is not food additive conflict.

jeep
12-10-2020, 03:39 PM
True San's are very hard, if not impossible to come by and I would be curious if anyone was selling them no matter how reputable people say they are. I've seen a "reputable" seller advertising San Merah's on their website and they are clearly fully barred discus.

CliffsDiscus
12-11-2020, 03:05 PM
I haven't seen any San Merah the last couple of decades mostly crosses from browns and red rose. The name San Merah can bring a higher price.
San Merah do not have the stress bars, there are breeders that were trying to remove these bars in the past but since their technique not thru genetics their offspring had the stress bars.

Cliff