PDA

View Full Version : Strange Discus Behavior?

Bradb90
12-19-2020, 11:53 AM
Hello,

I currently have 6 discus they have all been in my tank for about a month and seem to be doing really well. They eat frozen blood worms and two different kinda of pellet food. They are also pretty large 4.5-6".

The one in question is a large 6" male that was part of a breeding pair. He's turned dark but I'm not sure if it's because of the black background or because of breeding. He also sits and watches this one driftwood in the back of the tank all day even though there are no eggs, and is the only one that doesn't come to the front of the tank when I come near. He doesn't like it when I try to clean that area either.

Other than that he still eats like normal, with no visible signs of disease or injury, no clamped fins or white poop, heavy breathing. But he and my other large 6" male fight quite a lot.

My concern is that maybe he is stressed by the other 6" but at the same time if he was stressed why would he and the female lay eggs every week? Does that even matter when it comes to egg-laying.

Tank Specifications:
72 gallons, 30 gallon sump
Tank Mates: 5 corys 30 neon tetras
Temp: 85F
pH:7.3
kh:3
gH:3
Ammonia:0
Nitirite:0
Nitirate:~5ppm

I do two large water (50%) changes a week with aged water. My nitrates never go above 5ppm.

LizStreithorst
12-20-2020, 10:09 PM
If he's eating well it's breeding behavior.