PDA

View Full Version : Question for frequent WCers re: BB "gravel" vacuuming

Oxboy
12-22-2020, 05:42 PM
For those of you who vacuum your BB bottoms during WC time ---

Do you use your main WC syphon to do the vacuuming (like with a Python setup) -OR- do you do the old "place bucket/insert hose in tank/suck start/vacuum" and let the WC setup do its own thing?

I'm just curious if people use their main WC syphon to also vacuum or if they use a separate process (like bucket and hose) to vacuum.

Thanks for thoughts.

smsimcik
12-22-2020, 08:10 PM
I use my WC pump and hose to get as much gunk out of the tank as I can. I also stir the gunk up into the water column when wiping down the sides and bottom so it can get pumped out. After I've pumped out most of the water I want to change, I suck start a syphon hose into a bucket to get the gunk that was missed with the pump. So to answer your question, I do some of both.

Willie
12-23-2020, 11:49 AM
I use the Python to suck out any crap along with the old tank water. Periodically, I'll wipe down the bottom and sides of the tank. With a BB setup, I drain out 100% of the water. The heaters sit directly on the bottom glass and I've yet to lose a heater due to water changes.

Shan_Evolved
12-23-2020, 01:31 PM
I use a big ol 1" tube siphon that has a high flow rate I designed myself to REALLY sweep the entire bottom floor of poop and debris. I can fill a 5 gal bucket up in like 30 seconds. During this 30 seconds I do a sweep of all the debris and get almost everything. Afterwards I put a pump in the water with a tube that leads into the toilet and it drains the rest. Takes less than 5 mins.

Afterwards I remove said pump and put it into the aging barrel and just fill the tank up .

Tools used

1 Siphon and bucket

1 Pump

1 25ft tube

CliffsDiscus
12-23-2020, 03:46 PM
I use a Mag pump it drains out 100% of the water straight to the drain and at the same time wipe down the insides and bottom. Refilling using tap water with dechlorine, using a one or 3\4" hose. Sometimes the tap water doesn't look or smell then right then a GAC filler is used. I usually am draining one tank and filling another tank at the same time.

Cliff?