PDA

View Full Version : Picking discus in case they might pair-off

dornblaser
01-21-2021, 02:24 PM
I am going to set-up another discus tank this year, it will be some time off as I don't have the tank yet. I am interested if anyone picks discus in their group based on the possibility that they might pair in the future? I am thinking that having a large variation in strains might result in some unattractive fry. On the extreme side of the this question I find same strain tanks to be attractive.

smsimcik
01-21-2021, 03:06 PM
That's the main way I choose a group of juvies to buy and grow out. But I only pick out 2 strains to grow out together at a time. Strains that I predict could have nice fry. For example, I've grown out Flachens and Santarems, Santarems and red snakeskins and Fire reds and Pigeon snakeskins. I managed to get pairs from each cross and they turned out nice.
However, never mix pigeon and non pigeon. If they pair up, you will get a lot of ugly fry.

dornblaser
01-22-2021, 02:41 AM
That's the main way I choose a group of juvies to buy and grow out. But I only pick out 2 strains to grow out together at a time. Strains that I predict could have nice fry. For example, I've grown out Flachens and Santarems, Santarems and red snakeskins and Fire reds and Pigeon snakeskins. I managed to get pairs from each cross and they turned out nice.
However, never mix pigeon and non pigeon. If they pair up, you will get a lot of ugly fry.

I see more tanks in my future. :eek: