PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Fin

dnkn
03-08-2021, 01:46 PM
Anyone know what this is?

I first noticed it about a month ago, and it seems like its very slightly bigger now. This is one out of 43 in the a heavily stocked grow out system, and it's the only one with this issue. It's behavior seems normal. Everyone in the tank is eating well and growing.

Shan_Evolved
03-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Discus is from the shadier parts of town. Old bullet hole XD

jk Doesn't look scary, kind of unique

dnkn
03-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Old bullet hole XD

That's totally what I thought when I first saw it Shan :D

Also thought it looked like a cigarette burn, but that seems unlikely given the environment.

dnkn
03-10-2021, 06:13 PM
BUMP

No one has any idea what this perfectly round hole is? Has anyone seen anything like it?

I found other reports of a hole in the tail calling is fin rot. But those holes look irregular and jagged. This one looks like it was made with a tiny hole punch.

danotaylor
03-10-2021, 06:49 PM
Never seen anything like it. It really doesn't look sinister, certainly not like fin rot. I'd just watch it, keep the discus healthy w good food and clean water.

LizStreithorst
03-11-2021, 08:19 AM
It doesn't much matter where it came from as long as it's not parthenogenic.

bluelagoon
03-12-2021, 08:31 AM
That will grow out in time. Not sure what causes it but I've seem many species over the years with such a hole. I have a large red shoulder severum with one that happened a few months ago but it is starting to grow more towards the edge of the fin now as the fin grows and should be gone in a few more months. It is not a disease.