PDA

View Full Version : Discus Feeding question

Andy83
03-19-2021, 05:03 AM
Hi All,

Question - I have a new discus added to my tank (been through QT and all is fine) but I have a question about feeding as this particular discus doesn't like eating the food if it lands on the floor, so i bought some other granules that floats for a little bit to see if that helps. He seems to grab a few bits which is good, but i can see he constantly tries to get the food and most of the time misses it. So not sure if he can actually see the food properly or not, but i can't see any immediate issues with him health wise.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Thanks
Andy

Iminit
03-19-2021, 08:57 AM
If you try the loose freeze dried black worms your fish may have more success catching food and develop better eye to mouth coordination :). These worms are longer and will float longer. Also contact who you got it from and find out what and how they were feeding.

Bigdave
03-19-2021, 09:29 PM
Hi All,

Question - I have a new discus added to my tank (been through QT and all is fine) but I have a question about feeding as this particular discus doesn't like eating the food if it lands on the floor, so i bought some other granules that floats for a little bit to see if that helps. He seems to grab a few bits which is good, but i can see he constantly tries to get the food and most of the time misses it. So not sure if he can actually see the food properly or not, but i can't see any immediate issues with him health wise.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Thanks
Andy

hi there. Give the discus time to adjust, it will start eating. Question for you??? what temperature do you keep the water at?? I find for me what works with picky eaters is pre-soaking the food in garlic guard and if that don't get it going I slowly raise the temperate... then slowly lower the temp back down once the discus adjust and eats with no problems...when all my discus where new I kept my temp at 86 degrees, after every one was eating fine and adjusted to their new environment I slowly lower the temp to 83 degrees. I lowered the temp by 1 degree a week...that's what worked for me..im no expert, just trying to to share what worked for me...hope that helps...good luck...BTW very beautiful discus.

Vinni Smith
03-21-2021, 10:15 AM
Beautiful fish ~!

Raise the temp and get some frozen Discus Delight.
I have not seen a fish that doesn't love that stuff.

Also, as posted above, NO EXPERT HERE.
Just stating what works for us.

Bigdave
03-21-2021, 11:19 AM
Beautiful fish ~!

Raise the temp and get some frozen Discus Delight.
I have not seen a fish that doesn't love that stuff.

Also, as posted above, NO EXPERT HERE.
Just stating what works for us.

:thumbsup: exactly.