PDA

View Full Version : Red belly piranhas & Discus in a planted community tank.

seanyuki
04-11-2021, 10:53 PM
Just sharing...Red belly piranhas & Discus in a planted community tank.

http://youtu.be/QdA89WXNwwk

dornblaser
04-11-2021, 11:30 PM
Really?

seanyuki
04-11-2021, 11:49 PM
In the Amazon discus and piranhas do habitat together along with other species.

Second Hand Pat
04-12-2021, 05:34 AM
The red-bellied piranha, also known as the red piranha (Pygocentrus nattereri), is a species of piranha native to South America, found in the Amazon, Paraguay, Paraná and Essequibo basins, as well as coastal rivers of northeastern Brazil.[1][2] This fish is locally abundant in its freshwater habitat.[3] They are omnivorous foragers and feed on insects, worms, crustaceans and fish. They are not a migratory species, but do travel to seek out conditions conducive to breeding and spawning during periods of increased rainfall. Red-bellied piranhas often travel in shoals as a predatory defense, but rarely exhibit group hunting behavior. Acoustic communication is common, and is sometimes exhibited along with aggressive behaviors. Through media influence, the red-bellied piranha has developed a reputation as a ferocious predator, though this is not actually the case. They are a popular aquarium fish.

They sure are an ugly fish.
Pat

captainandy
04-12-2021, 06:07 PM
Just because its on a video and online doesn't make it any less stupid, IMO.

Willie
04-12-2021, 06:48 PM
Just because its on a video and online doesn't make it any less stupid, IMO.

LOL! If you watch videos of discus in their natural environment, there's never any other fish in the shot. No tetras, no corys, no plecos, no angelfish, and no other cichlids. Also no plants, no driftwood...

Shan_Evolved
04-13-2021, 07:32 AM
That is super unique. Dont piranhas get really big?

smsimcik
04-13-2021, 07:59 AM
Man, those are some ragged-finned discus. Just another example of what happens when you try to grow out juvie discus in an overstocked, planted community tank with too few water changes.

famtsberg
04-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Those piranhas are supposed to be very tasty. On the fishing tours that is the main fish served. Just sayin. lol

bluelagoon
04-13-2021, 11:13 AM
I had a tank of those adult red bellies about 12 years ago. I was actually afraid to put my hands in the tank. no kidding. They went through a lot of raw shrimp, shells and all in seconds. @ famtsberg, see here.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-101883.html

famtsberg
04-13-2021, 03:45 PM
I had a tank of those adult red bellies about 12 years ago. I was actually afraid to put my hands in the tank. no kidding. They went through a lot of raw shrimp, shells and all in seconds. @ famtsberg, see here.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-101883.html
My wife is Micronesian, explains why she is always threatening to eat the discus while we are catching bluegill. She says it would save a lot of time.

Willie
04-13-2021, 04:14 PM
I had a tank of those adult red bellies about 12 years ago. I was actually afraid to put my hands in the tank....

So funny! ;)

captainandy
04-15-2021, 10:11 AM
And its just a matter of time before someone lets them loose in South Florida.

Iminit
04-15-2021, 10:37 AM
Yes Andy I can here the conversation now: I was out fishing for oscars down in south Florida and caught a red bellied paranha.

Alpha40
04-15-2021, 11:34 PM
This is a nice discussion. Never thought I wanted to give this a listen.

Jimnchina
04-16-2021, 02:26 PM
They are illegal in many states.

pastry
05-04-2021, 03:56 AM
Yes Andy I can here the conversation now: I was out fishing for oscars down in south Florida and caught a red bellied paranha.

Okay , used to be Catholic and stopped... but, "...Heavenly Father, I must confess..."

1. I love experiments that others proclaim: Dumb"

"Why?"

"... because my dumbass learns quicker with 'crazy' more so than "success " alone)