PDA

View Full Version : Painting barebottom but with plastic brace?

Oxboy
07-05-2021, 07:45 PM
Most 55+ gal tanks have that plastic reinforcing brace located across the exterior middle of the bottom. In a barebottom setup, you can look down and see it, which is ugly, so you decide you want to paint the bottom exterior. How would you paint the exterior glass portion under that brace? Or can that plasric brace be removed or cut out? Removed then replaced? Can the whole bottom plastic piece (edge trim and everything be removed (and replaced) for painting?? I'm guessing that brace is vital for support once filled up with water and running. Thoughts or solutions? Thx!

Willie
07-05-2021, 10:29 PM
You're right about the plastic brace - it's very lucky. I painted my tanks light blue and the brace makes the bottoms look hideous. In retrospect, I would have painted the bottom black so the brace would not be noticeable. I would not replace that brace, which keeps the sides from bowing out.

Oxboy
07-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Do you think the brace lies flush or is sealed to the bottom glass? Wonder if you could slide some posterboard or a very thin sheet of colored plastic between the brace and glass?

Willie
07-05-2021, 11:30 PM
In my 75's, I could not slide anything between the brace and the bottom glass.

bluelagoon
07-06-2021, 08:30 AM
You can remove the trim. Lots on how to do it on you tube. Looks like a lot of work tho.

Shan_Evolved
07-12-2021, 11:05 AM
I legit just painted 2 big cardboard paper peices with whatever color I wanted, and slid them underneath. It worked but the color was washed out because it wasn't directly on glass. Another method I did was to lift it up with a flathead lightly and spray under it