PDA

View Full Version : Keep eating the fry

utiliy
07-10-2021, 02:47 PM
Have a young pair probably 3.5 inch at the most....they keep eating the free swimmersl.
Ive tried about everything except pulling the male...i pulled female last time. I even put a divider in...no go.

matt parsons
07-10-2021, 11:56 PM
Give them some time.
It can be very frustrating to say the least but odds are sooner or later they will get it right.
Are both parents eating the fry? Did you see the female eat them and that’s why you pulled her? I’m assuming the male then ate the fry. You can try pulling him next spawn, but if it were me, I’d just give them time.
Usually they will get it right at some point. Nothing is 100% when it comes to living creatures but odds are they just need to learn.
Good luck, Matt

Willie
07-11-2021, 03:13 PM
There are several reasons why fry get eaten.

1. Discus will often eat a small batch (< 20 fry), likely not worth the energy of raising small lots.
2. Discus will eat free swimming fry if/as they spawn again - very common with young pairs that spawn every 7 - 10 days. If this happens, pull one parent.
3. Most often, it's the female doing the eating. I'd pull her before they go free swimming.

Willie

utiliy
07-11-2021, 05:53 PM
They have a new batch now...hanging on the fence of cone...time will tell this time around...

jeep
07-12-2021, 10:39 AM
There are several reasons why fry get eaten.

1. Discus will often eat a small batch (< 20 fry), likely not worth the energy of raising small lots.
2. Discus will eat free swimming fry if/as they spawn again - very common with young pairs that spawn every 7 - 10 days. If this happens, pull one parent.
3. Most often, it's the female doing the eating. I'd pull her before they go free swimming.

Willie

All these things are true! I have a gorgeous pair I've been wanting to get some fry from but unfortunately it's been very difficult.

The spawns are small and the female eats the fry every time. I've been pulling her and the dad takes excellent care of them no matter how few there are. I keep thinking she will learn but by the time I finally pull her, there are only a few left, so on the next batch I'll pull her immediately after they spawn.

You can try screening the eggs but this isn't always successful.

seanyuki
07-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Hoping to see photos of the parents, 3.5 ins is pretty small fish…..are talking about discus.

Have a young pair probably 3.5 inch at the most....they keep eating the free swimmersl.
Ive tried about everything except pulling the male...i pulled female last time. I even put a divider in...no go.

CliffsDiscus
07-12-2021, 04:34 PM
If you already know how many days the fry are free swimming before being eaten removing them the day before.

Cliff

utiliy
07-17-2021, 10:25 PM
Yea..there discus...

utiliy
07-18-2021, 08:11 AM
Not sure how to post pictures...not seeing any icon for that.

jeep
07-18-2021, 10:32 AM
Look for this icon and follow the instructions. If it won't post then it's probably too large. I always email photo's to myself and the email program automatically resizes to the correct size..

Willie
07-20-2021, 01:21 PM
I use a program called BeFunky to resize my pix.