PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard juveniles!

Raimisx9
01-19-2022, 03:53 PM
Hello,
Just wanted to share exciting new additions to my tank! There are 8 Snow Leopard discus juvies in there! Wanted to show you some photos I took today! Let me know your opinions and thoughts on these!

Willie
01-19-2022, 05:47 PM
Very nice. This strain pattern and coverage has improved significantly from when it was first introduced. Shape is also much better now. What was your source?

LizStreithorst
01-19-2022, 06:22 PM
Excellent quality fish.

Mattgoanna
01-20-2022, 05:36 AM
Nice fish. Discus always look best when in groups of the same strain.

Raimisx9
01-20-2022, 07:10 AM
Thank You so much for the good words! I purchased these fish from Europa Discus Center in Germany, they have exelent quality fish!

Iminit
01-20-2022, 07:50 AM
Very nice looking! How big are they?

Raimisx9
01-20-2022, 08:23 AM
Thank You, they are about 12-13cm right now!

Iminit
01-20-2022, 10:22 AM
Great size! Just too many great looking discus coming out. I’d need a huge tank to keep up :).

Raimisx9
01-20-2022, 11:10 AM
Thanks! I also purchased a new tank for discus a couple years ago, from 280 litres to 450! :D Also I’m planing on setting up another tank for them in the kitchen!

Raimisx9
01-22-2022, 03:09 PM
So I have strange news. My 13 cenitmeter big female just laid eggs on the driftwood. Is she not too young to lay eggs?

Willie
01-22-2022, 04:52 PM
Pigeon blood origin discus, of which your snow leopards is a great example, typically spawn earlier than non-pigeon blood types. A 13 centimeter fish may be 10 - 12 months old, when females become mature. Unfortunately, males lag females by 3 - 6 months. Males may engage in spawning behavior prior to then, but you'll likely have to wait 3 - 6 months before actual fertilization. Early spawning is not necessarily a good thing as growth will slow down afterwards. In your case, I think these fish have additional growth potential as long as water conditions remain pristine.

Willie

Raimisx9
01-23-2022, 04:22 AM
Thank You Willie! I keep water condition pristine with mainly everyday water changes, also
i feed very high quality food, so I think these fish still has some growing to do!

Raimisx9
01-25-2022, 04:46 PM
This is one of the juvies. It looks like some sort of hybrid of Snow Leopard and other strain. What do you guys think?

Willie
01-25-2022, 06:10 PM
It's 100% a snow leopard, although the strain description varies by breeder. The spots in the middle are bigger and overlap so that they're less obvious. The spots on the edges are more visible. You'll note all the other snow leopards also have more spots in the middle of the body than on the side. The base color is more red, so this fish is most likely female.

jeep
01-25-2022, 08:31 PM
Willie is right. The pattern on this strain has improved a great deal. Congratulations!

Raimisx9
01-27-2022, 04:35 PM
Thank You! I’m very happy with the juvies I have now! Every single is a little diffrent on spot size, pattern and coverage! They make me very happy! Hope they will grow out nicely!

Raimisx9
01-30-2022, 04:22 PM
Thank you Willie and Brian! I’m very happy with the fish but they eat very sparingly, they don’t accept pellet food (even presoaked in garlic extract) and the fish/mussel/shrimp frozen mix they eat pretty small quantities. One thing they loved is sterlized freeze dried tubifex cubes. Does tubifex has any protein or fat? I also use vitamins on tubifex and add vits directly to water. I use Brightwell’s Vitamarin-F vitamins and GarlicPower

seanyuki
01-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Quite high ……Omega One Freeze Dried Tubiflex ….. Min. Crude Protein….54%.

Ingredients:*
Tubifex Worms, Vitamin E supplement.
Guaranteed Analysis:*
Min. Crude Protein….54%
Min. Crude Fat………..9%
Max. Crude Fiber…….2%
Max. Moisture………. 5%

Thank you Willie and Brian! I’m very happy with the fish but they eat very sparingly, they don’t accept pellet food (even presoaked in garlic extract) and the fish/mussel/shrimp frozen mix they eat pretty small quantities. One thing they loved is sterlized freeze dried tubifex cubes. Does tubifex has any protein or fat? I also use vitamins on tubifex and add vits directly to water. I use Brightwell’s Vitamarin-F vitamins and GarlicPower

Raimisx9
01-30-2022, 09:06 PM
Thanks Francis! Also maybe they will get used to eat frozen food and some pellets? It’s almost 2 weeks since I got them, two females are spwaning on their own and all fish seems happy and active, no whiye/stringy poop, no stress bars, no clamped fins. Maybe they need to get use to new tank still?
Also they are a little nervous about eater change and sand cleaning process, as they are not used to vacuming device and hose.