PDA

View Full Version : Penang eruption vs spotted face super eruption

mleibowi
02-07-2022, 01:56 PM
Anyone have pics of both fish? I know the spotted face super eruption from Forrest is more blue vs more red in the penang eruption and obviously the spots on the face difference. Trying to decide between the 2 as there is a big price difference between these fish.

Thanks!

seanyuki
02-07-2022, 03:41 PM
Many breeders out there want to create leopard snakeskins with specific patterns - some will have webpatterns on their gillcovers, some will have spots on the gill covers, some have larger spots, some have smaller spots, some have small separate spots, some have small spots that seem to clump together, some have spots on their dorsal and anal fins, some have patterns extending into their tail (caudal) fins. The Penang Eruption is a variety developed by Mr Lee Koon Yen of Malaysia. The Spotted Eruption and Sunrise Eruption are created by Wayne Ng of Hong Kong. The Super Eruption is created by Lim Pei Hao of Malaysia. Well-known breeders create a name for the variety that they breed. These days the latest version is the Panthera Eruption by Robert Lim.

CliffsDiscus
02-07-2022, 03:51 PM
Go with the larger, the smaller Discus seem to have too much color for its size. I had Wayne's Eruption and the color did not developed till they were near adults.

Cliff

Iminit
02-07-2022, 04:16 PM
In reality there all just leopards!! Buy what you think is nicest!!132677

mleibowi
02-07-2022, 04:43 PM
Thanks Francis- I do noticed a similarity with the leopard hybrids. I can't keep up with all these names and subtle differences.

seanyuki
02-07-2022, 05:05 PM
Leopards have larger striation on the face and 9 bars, but leopard snakes have finer spots on the body and fine striation on the face, with the characteristic 10 - 14 bars of snakeskins.

LizStreithorst
02-07-2022, 07:16 PM
These spotted all over gaudy fish are not my style but I am enjoying this discussion. Cliff has given great advice. Go for the larger fish. The smaller fish that are showing good color are hormoned. I don't care if they deny it. They always have.

As far as my taste in spotted fish, it's the strain I've been working on for many years. I like a strong blue base and spots spread evenly over the entire body. I like clear fins and SS type striations on the face. I have a name for my strain, too. I call them what they look like. Blue based spotted SS's.

CliffsDiscus
02-08-2022, 03:19 PM
I think Liz must be reading my mind. Yes, hormone Methyl testosterone can color a Discus in a week and at the same time its going to damage some internal organs. The Eruption and LSS color up ready late, but by using hormones the breeder can select the pattern early.
On some of these spotted Discus the spots will merge to form a line at a older age, so the spots will be gone.

Cliff

LizStreithorst
02-08-2022, 03:51 PM
With a large enough dose it makes them grow very large and changes females to males. Those fish, which are advertised as show fish don't live long. What they do to win a show is a shame but it's true in the show word with all animals. I have had personal experience with this situation so I know.

Willie
02-08-2022, 06:16 PM
I am not convinced that Penang Eruption is a different fish from Spotted Face Super Eruption. They could simply pick out those fish from each batch with facial patterns and price accordingly. I know of more than one breeder who give different names to fish from the same spawn. A trained geneticist will tell you that the spawn from either type will produce the same frequency of each phenotype.

CliffsDiscus
02-08-2022, 06:33 PM
Methyl testosterone is a male hormone that is given to female Discus would very much look male with long streamers and in size. Anyone not knowing this would pair up two females.
As for show Discus there are big prizes for the breeder, I have bought fry from a couple Singapore Grand Champion winners in the past they were super expensive. Currently the Discus shows give credit to the groomers, their function to body color and manicure, during this process chemical treatment are dangerous to the Discus health. Yes, I agree with Liz, life expected to be short lived.

Cliff