PDA

View Full Version : New to discus keeping but not the hobby.

Andrew watson
02-17-2022, 12:40 PM
Hi my name is Andrew Watson and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and I have been keeping fish for over 30 years. I have kept many kinds of cichlids such as Shellies, oscars, severums and African. This is going to be my first swim around the tank with discus keeping. As I said I am very new to this fish only owning them for 4 days I am welcoming the challenge of raising them. I have a 75g planted tank with flourite as the substrate. I have 5 discus ( all about the size of a silver dollar) in this tank a Blue Diamond, a German Wonder, a Pigeon Blood Silver and two Pigeon Blood Discus. I also have 55g community tetra tank and a 140g severum tank. The main diet I am feeding my discus thus far is frozen beef heart ( what they were use to from the store) and Bug Bites pleco sticks. They love to graze on them. I tried some discus pellets, flake food, and blood worms but they showed little interest and I think the blood worms were just to big for them at this time.
Outside of the hobby and am a huge sports fan but one that is use to disappointment in this area since I support The Cleveland Gaurdians, Cleveland Browns. and the Carolinas Hurricanes. During our Winter months I spend my time curling, too old to play rugby and soccer any more so I leave that for the younger crowd. During the summer I put my Horticultural degree to use landscaping the surrounding area and my free time is tending my own gardens and of course my tanks. I have a lovely wife who is a nurse, God love her, and have two autistic stepchildren which at times makes this household very challenging. My hope is that keeping discus will be easier lol.
Well enough about me I would just like the thank you for reading and am very much looking forward to learn from this forum and maybe makes some friends along the way.

LizStreithorst
02-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Nice to meet you, Andrew Welcome to the forum. There is so much info here that will help you have success with your dive into Discus. I suggest that although you are not new to fish, you are to Discus. I suggest taking a good read in the beginners section. Best of luck to you.

Iminit
02-17-2022, 01:07 PM
Welcome and congrats on the tank. Pictures is what we like!

Andrew watson
02-17-2022, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the welcome, I will try and get some pictures up as soon as possible. I am also going to take the time to review the posts in the beginners section. Sure to learn a great deal there.