PDA

View Full Version : Egg eating

mleibowi
05-13-2022, 03:55 PM
I have 2 "pairs" of discus- one pair and the other 3 discus that breed together. They all eat their eggs within 12-24h after. I'm not trying to breed them, but I'm wondering if I'm doing something to cause them to eat their eggs? Is this normal behavoir?

RogueDiscus
05-13-2022, 04:29 PM
Just my thoughts.
They are healthy and comfortable enough to spawn, which they want to do of course (good!), but even if you have m/f pairs, they are either too young or don't consider the environment good enough for rearing.
Yes, it's normal.

mleibowi
05-13-2022, 05:38 PM
Thanks Steve. Maybe they are too young. I think the environment is pretty great. I'm becoming more of a minimalist. I got rid of a rock and 2 large pieces of driftwood. I'm trying to give them more swimming space.

jeep
05-13-2022, 05:47 PM
They could be too young but some never get it right. There was a reason I named one of mine EESOB, lol...

mleibowi
05-24-2022, 01:17 PM
So a new pair formed and laid eggs on a a leave and partially on the glass. Others snuck in and ate them, whomp whomp. Again would love a successful spawn, not the goal of my discus fish keeping, but I think it reflects a healthy group that now all but 2 are spawning in some capacity.