PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

Gremi16
12-30-2022, 04:23 AM
Hey all! So, I have a question. I’ve started on the road to discus. Bought a 30 gallon (60x45x45cm) as a grow-out tank. Going to go with 10 2.5”-3” babies to start and watch them grow. My issue is this: I live in Japan and things US based are not so easy to get here, such as Dr. Tims one and only, like I used to buy in the US. I was going to do a fishless cycle with Prodibio startup, but I cannot find the pure ammonia. I’ve heard about using a raw shrimp or fish food, but heard that was smelly and messy.

Edit: also, I don’t have access to any freshwater media from another aquarium. I’m only running a marine tank now.

What route would you take at this point to get a cycle going?

Greg

jwcarlson
12-30-2022, 07:12 AM
Liz suggested using Prime and Stability daily at water change time and that worked swimmingly for me. Was doing daily 60% changes and eventually 90%. So the bad stuff can't really build up.

Gremi16
12-30-2022, 08:10 AM
Liz suggested using Prime and Stability daily at water change time and that worked swimmingly for me. Was doing daily 60% changes and eventually 90%. So the bad stuff can't really build up.

So, you essentially cycled with your discus? How often were you doing water changes? Because my plan was to be doing several large WC a week anyway. Hmmm, just so happens that I received my bottles of Prime and Stability today in the mail.

jwcarlson
12-30-2022, 08:26 AM
Nightly 60% changes in a 75 with 10x 2.5" discus. Then 90% somewhere along the way when I got my bigger barrel.

LizStreithorst
12-30-2022, 03:41 PM
Stability is a product that contains the bacteria that the sponge needs to cycle. First you add the fish, next you add the Stability. Do large WCs at first and lesser as time goes by.

Gremi16
12-30-2022, 06:41 PM
Stability is a product that contains the bacteria that the sponge needs to cycle. First you add the fish, next you add the Stability. Do large WCs at first and lesser as time goes by.

Awesome! Thanks Liz

Gremi16
12-30-2022, 06:48 PM
Nightly 60% changes in a 75 with 10x 2.5" discus. Then 90% somewhere along the way when I got my bigger barrel.

Thanks for replying.

wuvarien
01-01-2023, 05:17 PM
Can vouch for Prime and Stability route with in fish cycling - I did with my discus, and thankfully they're all fine.

I had some Amguard ready incase the Ammonia spike went too high. I was doing big water changes every 2 days, but I had a 180g tank so could afford some flexibility, with a 30g you defo want to do at least one big WC a day

Gremi16
01-02-2023, 03:01 AM
Can vouch for Prime and Stability route with in fish cycling - I did with my discus, and thankfully they're all fine.

I had some Amguard ready incase the Ammonia spike went too high. I was doing big water changes every 2 days, but I had a 180g tank so could afford some flexibility, with a 30g you defo want to do at least one big WC a day

Oh, I will be, for sure. I’m thinking 75% a day, at least . Thanks for the confirmation.