PDA

View Full Version : Digital tank thermometer?

brewmaster15
01-27-2023, 04:40 PM
So Im in the market for a bunch of tank thermometers.. the simple stick on with suction cup and digital read out battery ones.. cheap but reliable. Nothing fancy.. what are you using and do you like it? Ive read alot of amazon reviews and they seem hit or miss as far accuracy.

I've never used them before.. my standard has always been putting my hand to the tank or in the tank sometimes followed up with a hand held meter . I figured I would get with the times..

I know theres ones that wifi connect which I admit is real tempting for things like days where you are away or vacations... any one use these?

Thanks,
AL

jwcarlson
01-27-2023, 04:48 PM
I use Inkbird controllers on most tanks (I have six tanks currently). I have some of the suction cup digital ones and every one of them is trash. The suction cup glass ones are better in my opinion. I'm sure there's some fancy expensive ones that are better, but at that point it's $28 or less for an Inkbird (not the WiFi version, though) and I've never had an issue with one of their controllers using them for brewing, fish tanks, brine shrimp, chicken eggs, honey bee queen cells... etc.

brewmaster15
01-27-2023, 04:56 PM
Thanks Jacob.. I will look into those more!
Al

jeep
01-27-2023, 05:06 PM
I have some of the suction cup digital ones and every one of them is trash.

I agree. I was trying to find a photo of me pointing my IR thermometer at them and some were 30 degrees off...

brewmaster15
01-27-2023, 05:12 PM
Brian,

IR thermoslmeter which one do you use?
Al

jwcarlson
01-27-2023, 05:35 PM
I find that they (the little digital ones) drift. They start out pretty accurate. And then overtime they just get worse and worse. I had one on my discus tank and it was showing like 97 and I panicked thinking the first and only Inkbird snaffu I'd ever had happened on the "most critical" application! But, it wasn't that, those things just suck.

I use these:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QWTJNX2/

But if you want to save a few bucks or have an application where it makes sense, I use these on my aging barrels and brine shrimp hatchery:
https://smile.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-ITC-1000/dp/B00OXPE8U6/

There's a "new" Inkbird Plus that has popped up that is NOT Inkbird, so beware of that.
Sometimes Amazon is cheaper and sometimes Ebay is cheaper (make sure it's actual Inkbird you're buying from here: https://www.ebay.com/str/lerwayonline).

The current $27 price isn't too bad. Have gotten some as low as $17, normal price seems to be around $35. They're well worth it.

jeep
01-27-2023, 06:03 PM
My IR thermometer quit working. It was a pretty expensive name brand but I can't remember which one it was...

Iminit
01-27-2023, 11:42 PM
Ok i use all 3 of these devices. The common suction cup ones are just bad but have been accurate once I adjust them. I use my IR to get the tank temp than I write on the common the + or - the IR said it was off. This has worked. Ink-birds are great. My IR is a Klien134261134262

brewmaster15
01-27-2023, 11:50 PM
Ok i use all 3 of these devices. The common suction cup ones are just bad but have been accurate once I adjust them. I use my IR to get the tank temp than I write on the common the + or - the IR said it was off. This has worked. Ink-birds are great. My IR is a Klien134261134262

Thanks Tom. That Ir looks really reasonably priced at Bezo's place,,I may have to pick me up one. I don't think I will ever run my tank to 752 F but since my 82-86 F is in its range I can work with it!:)

al

Iminit
01-28-2023, 01:35 AM
Yeah you can check the freezer and the burgers on the bbq too. Multi purpose. And to annoy people at your next party check their temp as they arrive ;)

jeep
01-28-2023, 11:53 AM
One thing I noticed when mine was working is there can be a difference in glass temp and water temp.

brewmaster15
01-28-2023, 12:08 PM
Thats good to Know Brian, Thanks! I should have mine here today to try.:)

al

brady
01-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Hey Al
I use a thermopen digital thermometer . Just stick the probe in the tank and in 1/2 sec. you have a reading.
Use it 2x/ day mainly seting the water temp for w/c.
Also use it for steaks,smoking briskets and making my homemade bacon.
19$ on amazon.
low tech but easy and cheap.
Jay

brewmaster15
01-28-2023, 08:48 PM
Thanks Jay... I will definitely look into these.

Al

brewmaster15
01-30-2023, 08:02 AM
So I did get the handheld IR1 by Klein that Tom posted. What a cool product.. I did test it and Brian was right, I get a degree or two difference off the tank glass vs water. For $30 on Amazon its well worth it as a useful tool. As an added perk it doubles as a high powered cat toy. That lazer dot is my cats new favorite pursuit!

Still looking at tank thermometers but the handheld IR is great.Thanks.

Al

jim LI
01-30-2023, 10:40 AM
I use Inkbird controllers on most tanks (I have six tanks currently). I have some of the suction cup digital ones and every one of them is trash. The suction cup glass ones are better in my opinion. I'm sure there's some fancy expensive ones that are better, but at that point it's $28 or less for an Inkbird (not the WiFi version, though) and I've never had an issue with one of their controllers using them for brewing, fish tanks, brine shrimp, chicken eggs, honey bee queen cells... etc.

:thumbsup: