PDA

View Full Version : Weather where you are...

brewmaster15
02-02-2023, 08:18 AM
I saw this at another forum I visit, its a simple concept but interesting. Members post the weather where they are.. photos and vids welcome.

Might go some like this....

18 F in northford CT USA. cold with some windchill warnings. Supposed to be SUNNY AND CLEAR is whats called for...morning clouds .NEXT few going to be real cold..

bluelagoon
02-02-2023, 08:47 AM
Up here in Nova Scotia Canada, so far it's been a good winter. The lakes here are just starting to freeze a few days ago. I remember going skating on the lakes around the middle of December, when I was a kid, not nowadays. Never have I seen such a warm winter here in this part of the world. We did have a few small snow storms that there was snow on the ground a day or so, but mostly rain. Friday and Saturday we will be getting -10C which is quite cold. Then back up to around freezing. Fiona did some damage last fall in the eastern part of the province; other than that we're been having great weather. So, winter here so far is going to be short. Nice sunny day today.

bluelagoon
02-02-2023, 08:52 AM
By the way Al, did you ever get up here? You in boxed me a while ago and said you might get up this way.

jwcarlson
02-02-2023, 09:33 AM
We've had a relatively mild winter so far. A handful of nights in the -10 degree range, but just a couple at a time. Tonight back to -8, I think and then tomorrow night around 0. But then days climbing back into the 40s. It's been a kind winter here in Iowa so far. We did get about 7" of snow or so this past weekend.

jeep
02-02-2023, 10:38 AM
We've had a relatively mild winter so far. A handful of nights in the -10 degree range, but just a couple at a time. Tonight back to -8, I think and then tomorrow night around 0. But then days climbing back into the 40s. It's been a kind winter here in Iowa so far. We did get about 7" of snow or so this past weekend.

A few years ago, one of my company's locations I managed was in Souix City. Winters were the coldest I've experienced with temps -20 and 40mph winds and me standing outside talking on the phone trying to diagnose issues with our robots because there was no phone signal inside the plant. No thank you!!!

jwcarlson
02-02-2023, 10:56 AM
A few years ago, one of my company's locations I managed was in Souix City. Winters were the coldest I've experienced with temps -20 and 40mph winds and me standing outside talking on the phone trying to diagnose issues with our robots because there was no phone signal inside the plant. No thank you!!!

I'm on the other side of the state, but yeah... we get a lot of wind when our cold comes through, usually. We had a day a few years back with -65 or -70 degree wind chills. I can't remember the exact air temperature, but it was something like -40 I think. I know there's a lot of factors, but I don't feel much difference in air temperatures from 20 to -20 unless there's wind. That's when it gets miserable.

brewmaster15
02-02-2023, 01:27 PM
By the way Al, did you ever get up here? You in boxed me a while ago and said you might get up this way.

WE did Mervin..but only went into Nova Scotia for a day. Most of the trip was at Alma and Fundy Park in New Brunswick. We went into Nova scotia for fossils..matter of fact my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary there..had a nice dinner by the water at sunset. ..this was 2019..we planned on coming back.. then the pandemic
hit. We did make it quebec city for a 4 day trip though tbis past summer.. .. still need to go back to your neck of the woods.

Al

bluelagoon
02-03-2023, 09:17 AM
Al, check out the south shore on the old highways and all the white sand beaches if you ever get this way to spend some time. It's going to be cold here tonight. They say it might be record breaking temperatures. Record is -26C. Wind chills -30-40C. Now that's cold. This will only last a day and then back to mild. What a crazy but mostly mild winter here.

brewmaster15
02-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tip Mervin, we are planning a return trip maybe this summer.. WE have a bit of that cold here in CT as well... its the 20 s F now and the windchill makes it feel like Zero. ..Tonight they are calling for negatives. Then back to fall temps!

al

captainandy
02-03-2023, 03:21 PM
I'm flying out from Jupiter Florida - 85 degrees to Boston -10 degrees - by the time I get in at 11PM.

jwcarlson
02-03-2023, 04:33 PM
Got down to like -5 or -6 F last night, windchills overnight probably close to -20? Drilled some experimental ice fishing holes on a farm pond this morning with my dad. He's going out tomorrow. Solid 6" of ice or maybe a bit more.
High in single digits today, but it doesn't feel too bad because it's calmed down and a little sun shining. Trying to finish up around the new shower I put in *cough* a year ago *cough* High in the low 40s tomorrow! And some some days looking into the low 50s this coming week.

I'm flying out from Jupiter Florida - 85 degrees to Boston -10 degrees - by the time I get in at 11PM.

I flew out of Cedar Rapids, Iowa at -20s F and into Phoenix where the lows at night were in the 50s. It's weird having that big a temperature swing in a matter of a few hours or so.

brewmaster15
02-04-2023, 08:10 AM
Crisp frigid night here . Down in the negatives .The temp is now -6 at 7 am. Oddly enough theres a wren calling outside my window.

Sometime during the night our pipes froze... found out we had no water at about 4 am . Been in this house 22 years and never had frozen pipes. The freeze spot was where the well line came in. We were lucky that it was an accessible spot.. I was able to thaw the area with a well placed space heater..
Al

LizStreithorst
02-04-2023, 10:19 AM
It has either been way colder here down to 16 from 70 the day before. It will be in the 70's again today. Crazy.

pbhonl
02-04-2023, 04:14 PM
We are starting a warming trend now. It's going to be above 0 F for awhile. The other night it was -27 F. That is the coldest this year.

I live in northern Minnesota; a few miles from Canada. Most of the Canadian population is south of me.

brewmaster15
02-04-2023, 10:27 PM
We are starting a warming trend now. It's going to be above 0 F for awhile. The other night it was -27 F. That is the coldest this year.

I live in northern Minnesota; a few miles from Canada. Most of the Canadian population is south of me.
So basically I know now how Pat feels when I tease her for using the word "cold" to describe Florida this winter..lol.
-27 is cold! However it makes frosting glasses for beer a breeze.:)
Al

brewmaster15
02-06-2023, 07:49 AM
Got to love the weather recently.. this weekend was cold in the negatives here in CT. .... today, mostly cloudy and we should hit 50F. Not complaining too much though..I can let the woodstoves go out now and clean the ash we made this weekend.

Al

Second Hand Pat
02-06-2023, 08:20 AM
What do you do with the ash Al?

Great weather here in Florida and too many people :(
Pat

brewmaster15
02-06-2023, 01:23 PM
What do you do with the ash Al?

Great weather here in Florida and too many people :(
Pat

Hi Pat, I add some ash to my compost piles and gardens to control acidity. I also sprinkle it on the lawn as its good for the grass and slows down the mosses and any acid loving weeds. Its about the only thing I will put on my weedpatch...I mean lawn.:)

al

brewmaster15
02-26-2023, 09:03 AM
Weather here today is chilly. It was in the teens last night. I have my coffee by the front window in the morning.. Quick cell phone shot.

House finch male was chasing his mate.He knows spring is around the corner.. Notice my Rhododendron leaves are curled..They do that when its really cold.. no one really knows exactly why.. curled (https://www.indefenseofplants.com/blog/2017/12/11/why-do-rhododendron-leaves-droop-and-curl-in-the-winter)

Al

brewmaster15
02-28-2023, 09:04 AM
First real snow of year here.. Looks like about 4".. could pick up a few more during the day.. This is the only time I like this white stuff..right after it falls. It'll melt soon..next few days are warmer.

Iminit
02-28-2023, 10:33 AM
Same here but only an inch134755. It’s almost March and today I had to find shovels and car scrapers!.

LizStreithorst
02-28-2023, 11:52 AM
Still in the 80's here every day. I've heard the old folks say that fruit trees aren't to be trusted as a sign of spring when they leaf out. They often get nipped by a frost. The real proof that Spring has arrived is the oaks leafing out. I noticed yesterday afternoon that tiny leaves have just started to pop out on them. I hope the oaks are right. My blueberries are in their full glorious bloom right now. If we have a frost I will have no blueberries this year.

Willie
02-28-2023, 12:26 PM
In the patio right below our new place, about 15" of snow fell Tuesday/Wednesday. Then the wind picked up and the snow was blown into a sand dune structure,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU9RtQAcSQQ&ab_channel=Willie.

Lots of physics learning at play here.

LizStreithorst
02-28-2023, 01:22 PM
I'd have loved playing in there as a kid. I'd have made it my fort. I was more of a little boy than a little girl, much to my mother's consternation.

brady
03-02-2023, 11:15 AM
I live in Northern Ct at 800 ft. It has it's own climate compared to the rest of Ct.
Tues night we had a little over a foot. First real snow this year. The other one was in Dec but it was only 4-5 in.
So far it's been a winter without a winter. MY pond, which is a little less then a 1/4 acre never really froze and usually
it would have 1-1/2 ft. of ice this time of year. Something is going on.
I'll take the warmth,bring it on.
Jay

jeep
03-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Typical weather in KC. 65 yesterday, 20 today. An endless cycle of mother nature teasing us...

dagray
03-02-2023, 01:31 PM
Weather has been drunk lately.

Two weeks ago in the mid 40s, last week in the low 20s with snow, this week was in the mid 20s with some snow until today where at 05:30 it was 45 degrees out and had drizzled a little rain.

LizStreithorst
03-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Still in the mid 80's here. I have a strong urge to plant summer stuff, but I won't...Yet. I've ordered some seeds that I'll plant. That's safe enough 'cause I can bring them in if it turns cold.

What I worry about is that if we can have late Spring in the winter, we could just as easily have winter in the summer.

brady
03-02-2023, 03:11 PM
OK Liz enough. If your trying to make me jealous with the 80s stuff, you are.LOL
And your fish are doing great.
Jay

LizStreithorst
03-02-2023, 05:10 PM
OK Liz enough. If your trying to make me jealous with the 80s stuff, you are.LOL
And your fish are doing great.
Jay

Lol...I do love it, but it's so strange that I can't help but worry about it. You know, we're all waiting for pics of the fish.

AquaticNerd
03-03-2023, 09:13 AM
Weather has been wild this week.

Started off in the high 60s. Monday rolled around and we got some strong winds blowing through - we lost power for 20 hours! :eek: Weather was nice though, in the mid to high 60s and low 70s so we weren't too bothered about being hot or cold (with the exception of just having gone to the grocery and had to throw out most of what was in the fridge). Wednesday and Thursday were nice. Today we've got lots of rain, thunderstorms and a high potential for tornadoes. Fingers crossed it passes by without issue!

brewmaster15
03-03-2023, 04:36 PM
just having gone to the grocery and had to throw out most of what was in the fridge Jake we need to talk about inverter generators my friend. Sounds like you need one to go with that new Kitchen set up..:)

al