PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Can I move my small discus into a general community tank that's non discus?

nscaplen
03-04-2023, 02:35 PM
I have two discus that are being bullied and, as a result, have become thin and are starting to look stunted. I'd like to move them to another tank I have that is well established but NOT a discus tank (it has rummies, cories, neons and dwarf rainbow fish). Will that move end up being a cross contamination situation and like my discus or will they adapt?

LizStreithorst
03-04-2023, 03:25 PM
If all these fish have been in your fish room for at least 6 months and you have done regular WC, CC should not be a problem. It's not the greatest situation to be in. You really need another 25 to put the skinny Discus in. But if you don't, you don't. Go ahead and put them in with the community. Set up another 29 if you can.

Have you seen the skinny Discus poop? What does their poop look like. Pics of the fish are always helpful.

Iminit
03-04-2023, 03:33 PM
It’s not a guaranteed answer. If the temp in the tank is 82 or higher it Could work. But it could fail too. I’ve done this a few times. Even grew them out from 4”. Had success that time all but 1 made the transition. But not so lucky many other times.