PDA

View Full Version : RIP dpreview.com

brewmaster15
04-05-2023, 10:38 AM
I know this doesnt affect Discus keepers much but should anyone here ever consider purchasing video or photography Equipment..odds are you would have researched the purchase using Dpreview.com .. and if have purchased these things in the past few decades odds are you found info on DPreview.

Awhile back Amazon acquired DPReview.com and sadly have decided to close this massive website and ditch all the data and reviews because Amazon is poor and does not have the resources to maintain what was arguably the greatest repository of camera and video information . If only Amazon was a wealthy company.. sigh.:mad:

Info here and everywhere on the net in photography forums etc..

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/21/dpreview-is-shutting-down/

Dpreview was not exactly kind to my favorite camera brand ,Pentax, and the discussion groups there definitely leaned toward nikon,canon, and sony but still there is no denying that a ton of gear was professionally reviewed and a ton of user contributed discussions and experiences took place. I read there alot about various topics.

Its sad to see Amazon just dump it.. I wonder how many cameras and videos are bought yearly on Amazon.. dpreview was free support for those. Its really pathetic that Amazon rakes in billions yet crys the blues financially and closes a site like this that really was a huge value to the photographic community..pentax biases aside. Sad that knowledge means so little.
RiP Dpreview.

Al

pitdogg2
04-05-2023, 02:30 PM
I freaking HATE Amazon! I go out of my way to avoid buying anything from them.