PDA

View Full Version : Question about Snail Leeches

bluelagoon
04-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Has anyone ever used these to control snails? I have quite a few trumpet snails in one of my tanks. Just wondering if I should use these to control their numbers.

LizStreithorst
04-10-2023, 07:46 PM
I've had no experience with them. I use assassin snails. They'll get rid of pond snails in no time. Trumpet snails do take time. The adults have a hard trap door that doesn't let them in. The assassins go after the babies where having a good snail meal is easy.

bluelagoon
04-11-2023, 08:53 AM
I've had assassin snails once before but after all the pest snails were gone they died off too. They worked well and got the job done. It's just that I know someone with a tank with lots of snail leeches that came in with plants to give away. I don't want to buy loaches either. I have 3 types of snails in my tank(s) and I'd like to keep some but are mostly trumpets in one of my bigger tanks. I don't want to use chemicals.

dagray
04-15-2023, 03:35 PM
See if anyone in your area has puffer fish. People in my area beg for snails to feed their pee puffers.

Making a snail trap is super easy, and the people with the puffers may even pay you for the snails.

bluelagoon
04-16-2023, 07:47 AM
See if anyone in your area has puffer fish. People in my area beg for snails to feed their pee puffers.

Making a snail trap is super easy, and the people with the puffers may even pay you for the snails.

I see folks advertise for snails for puffers on kijiji. It's not worth my time to be bothered by most of those ads. I think I'll just get more assassin snails when the LFS gets them in.