PDA

View Full Version : Taking the discus plunge

Kymark
04-10-2023, 09:27 PM
I’ve kept fish for most of 50 years, but just recently decided to try discus when I found a local breeder. These were described as “pigeon” and “turquoise”. After reading a lot on this site, I decided against my plans of growing them out in a heavily planted tank, and instead bought a new 75 gallon tank to raise them. The basement turns out to be a much easier place for water storage and changes, plus it was a good excuse for another tank.

I’m feeding them mostly red wrigglers, which I have an almost unlimited supply of in my composting operation (gardening is another hobby!). But as you can see, they also love the FDBW I got from Al!135091

brewmaster15
04-10-2023, 10:43 PM
Mark, Glad to see you here! I think you made a good decision on raising them out in a bare bottom tank and that 75 gal will give them plenty of growing room.

Red wigglers can be a great food item. I used to have several cultures going here at a time for both my fish and amphibians. I should probably start one up again for my critters. Glad to see your fish are enjoying the blackworms!

I hope you can post updates as these grow, It will be interesting to see how pigmented they are as adults..Do you know what strain(s) the parents are? Looks like a few are non pigeons ?

Welcome again!
Al

jeep
04-11-2023, 12:04 AM
Welcome aboard! Here's an old thread you may enjoy http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?31031-Red-Wigglers

Second Hand Pat
04-11-2023, 08:18 AM
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum :D Your guys look like they are growing well. You might consider creating a growout thread and tracking their growth here. Here's a starting place http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?365-Our-Tank-Journals if you like the idea. :D
Pat

Kymark
04-11-2023, 10:47 AM
4 are pigeons, 3 are turquoise. Most of the pigeons look to have quite a bit of peppering -- hoping that fades as they mature in a tank with as little black in it as possible.

I find I'm feeding much more aggressively once I moved them into the bare bottom tank, since I can see and siphon out any excess after 10-15 minutes.

Kymark
07-01-2023, 08:29 PM
Most of the fish are growing well, although one PB is a runt (but seemingly healthy). Sadly , earlier this week, the largest - a turquoise and my fav- jumped out of the tank thru the narrow gap in the back of the tank - I found it 4-5 hours later ☹️. I think it got spooked by a new filter.

Now, the remaining 6 are stressed by the change in the power structure and aren’t eating. Except for the red wrigglers!

Sabrina
07-06-2023, 05:50 AM
Nice Mark!

Discus always have us buying more and bigger tanks lol

Sorry to read you lost 1 :(

How are things going now with them?

Iminit
07-06-2023, 09:40 AM
Hey Mark! Always a shame when one jumps. I’d raise the temp to 86. The warmer water should spark their appetite.

LizStreithorst
07-06-2023, 04:53 PM
I've had suicides in the past not not for good while, thank God. It sucks. The last incident was an failed attempt. I was sitting on the sofa in the fishroom. I was on the computer. Everything was peaceful and quiet. Suddenly I heard a splash and looked up to see one of my good breeding males flat on his side on the concrete. I picked him up gently, put him back in the water and he never skipped a beat. He was lucky in two ways. First, I was right here, and second he didn't take a header and get brain damage.

It doesn't happen as often as I made it sound. I've been keeping Discus for over 20 years. It's still a kick in the head when a fish kills itself for no apparent reason.