PDA

View Full Version : The 150 gallon and 75 gallon Sciaenochromis Tanks

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-15-2023, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone, it's been a few months since I posted here. With starting a new job with the city and waiting on some custom equipment to make its way to me I haven't had much time for setting up my tanks. I finally do have some time, so I am posting today. I have started this thread to document my progress and will be updating regularly.

Glad to be back into fishkeeping!

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-15-2023, 06:12 PM

The goal with these tanks is to cross these 2 strains of african cichlids - Aulonocara Eureka Super Red (above) and Sciaenochromis Paradise (bottom).

I am shipping these strains in from 2 seperate sources over the next month.

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-16-2023, 11:45 AM
I purchased the 150 gallon from a LFS in Cincinnati. They had new 150s going for $300 less than my LFS near my house. So I rented a cargo van and drove 1.5 hours to pick it up. Even with rental fees and gas it was still $150 less expensive to pick it up there vs the shop down the road.

I brought it home and painted the background black, along with the 75 I already owned. After buying some lumber, I set about building a "double decker" stand for these 2 tanks. I rented a saw and some other tools and set to work on a Saturday morning. Unfortunately. I came down with a violent case of food poisoning, and in an attempt to push through while I had the tools rented, made some dumb mistakes and came out with an off level stand. Though, to be fair, I was battling violent food poisoning symptoms too unpleasant to share here!

Frustrated at my mistakes, I wrote off the cost of lumber and tool rentals as a loss and let it rest for a few weeks while I figured out if I wanted to start over or figure out something else. It was also at this time that I found out from my fish guy back in AZ that it would be a few months before I could secure the sciaenochromis paradise, so I decided to order some custom 3D backgrounds since I had plenty of time before the fish would be ready. I'm a patient guy with this hobby, so using the time I had to wait to my advantage was okay with me.

Attached is a picture of the beginning bones of the stand, with approval from the water change supervisors Miso and Mochi.

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-16-2023, 12:03 PM
I ordered my backgrounds from NatureDecor, and it was.... a horrible experience. I went with them because they seemed to be an offshoot of the OG AquaDecor but based out of Canada with better prices. The ONLY thing going for them is those prices.

I was quoted 15 days build time, it ended up being 45 days build time with 10 days shipping. I ordered the backgrounds in a gray/tan color, they came in a mud brown color. I ordered one pattern for the 150 and a different pattern for the 75, they switched those. Email communication was atrocious, often requiring 2 or 3 emails asking the same question before it was answered after a week or more waiting. The backgrounds came well wrapped and protected, but there were still chips and cracks in half a dozen places that required silicone to fix. The finish they use is thin and brittle, so I ordered some clear Pond Shield to add a layer of protection since I don't trust it to be necessarily safe for my rare and expensive fish that will be in there soon.

Overall, I would absolutely not recommend NatureDecor. Go with the original Aquadecor. Even though their prices are higher I have heard nothing but great experiences with them.

Here are a few pictures of the progress of siliconing the backgrounds in this weekend.

Bonus picture of the water change supervisors hiding from the thunderstorm this morning.

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-17-2023, 08:41 PM

The silicone finished curing on both backgrounds today. Up next its time to apply a clear layer on Pond Shield to the backgrounds. I will tape off the glass on the sides and bottom, then apply a layer of clear over the rocks. This will boost longevity and durability, and hopefully make the colors a little darker. Unlike discus, most african cichlids show brighter colors on dark backgrounds.

This will also serve to lock in anything unsafe for the fish, as I don't fully trust this material to be fish safe after seeing the quality of materials used to construct this. Live and learn.

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-19-2023, 09:59 AM

Painted the Pond Shield on the backgrounds. It's a little glossier than I would like but I'm counting on some of that going away once it is underwater and has a bit of algae growth. Happy to know that everything is sealed in and will be much stronger and long-lasting now.

Up next is building the stands. I'm going with cinderblock and wood stands, but I'm going to paint them to look classy and hopefully get a minimalist look. Will pick up my materials this week and start on that soon!

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-19-2023, 08:06 PM

Rough placement of the rocks on the 150. Getting closer to having this thing up and running!

jwcarlson
04-19-2023, 10:29 PM
Looking good, Josh!
How's the new job going? Hope all is well with you and your wife!

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-20-2023, 08:30 AM
Looking good, Josh!
How's the new job going? Hope all is well with you and your wife!

Hey Jacob! The new job is great! Better pay and benefits, less hours, and I feel like I'm contributing towards something positive and making the community a better place. I absolutely love it. Things are great, my wife is doing well!

Any exciting updates on your end? How are the Stendkers doing?

jwcarlson
04-20-2023, 11:10 PM
Hey Jacob! The new job is great! Better pay and benefits, less hours, and I feel like I'm contributing towards something positive and making the community a better place. I absolutely love it. Things are great, my wife is doing well!

Any exciting updates on your end? How are the Stendkers doing?

Nothing major. :) Still doing a boat load of water changes. lol They're well, though. Pushing up on 6"! I think they'll end up in my empty 125 at some point in the near future, though. And then cut back on water changes to a few per week, maybe? Don't know yet. The plan would be to bring the 8 of them and then to also have bigger schools of tetras.

Glad to hear all is well! I started a new job just short of two years ago and I still feel like I won the lottery! haha

Iminit
04-21-2023, 08:59 AM
Nice start! So are you waiting on the fish or looking elsewhere? For backgrounds I used a company called Universal Rocks. Many different options. Background came quick. They are premade to size. Funny the first one I got had footprints walking across it. Sent them pics and they sent another. I needed 60x24 and the closest they had was 60x48 :). So I’ve now got a lifetimes worth :). My problem was a black acrylic background I wanted to lighten up but not give up much tank space. This background is about an 1/8” thick so it is perfect. I didn’t glue it in in case I want to remove it down the line.135140.
Good luck with the new job! Probably be able to find a chopsaw on market place for cheap. Pays to have some tools. I’ve built about 6 stands over the years. Stands paid for tool :).

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a great tank! One thing about african cichlids is you can't really have tank mates in there with them. A definite advantage of discus is the tetras and plecos and what not. Sounds like it would be a sweet 125!

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-21-2023, 09:46 AM
Yeah, if I ever do a 3D background in a tank again I'll either go DIY or obviously a different company. Sounds like you have it made indeed! Lol

Yep, probably should invest in some tools. I have plans for a plywood tank in the future. It's getting purchases past the wife that are preventing me from going crazy with the hobby. Though perhaps that's a good thing!

Also, I'm waiting on the paradise. There's really only one source in the states for that strain so I just have to wait it out. I should have them next month. The eurekas are a common strain, but the German bred super red variety is a little harder to come by. I have one or two different sources on that breed that are somewhat regularly available, so I will secure a few breeder males of those after I obtain the paradise.

GalaxyKoiBoi
04-23-2023, 05:13 PM
Update: after 4 days the Pond Shield is ever so slightly tacky in a couple of spots. It is supposed to cure 100% after 24 hours. Chatted with the manufacturer and they believe I didn't mix the epoxy thoroughly enough when applying the first coat, but luckily another thin layer of properly mixed epoxy on top will ensure the whole thing cures.

Kind of a hassle but better safe then sorry. I ordered another small batch and will apply that more carefully tomorrow after it arrives. Lesson learned. Don't rush this if you decide to use Pond Shield yourself!

GalaxyKoiBoi
05-23-2023, 07:59 PM
It's been a minute since I posted. Life has been busy with my new job and family events, but I have an update.

I've secured my Eureka breeder male! This guy comes from Uncle Wuddy in Thailand, courtesy of Black Label Cichlids. I picked the best one from the last batch (and I sure paid for it!) He will be here next week. I am also traveling this weekend to pick up the sciaenochromis females (getting a group of 20+).

I will be building the stands this week, starting with the 150 first to house all my fish. The 75 will go up later after all the fish have reached breeding age. Things are finally coming together!

GalaxyKoiBoi
05-31-2023, 07:26 AM

Built the frame of the 150 stand last night. I broke down and bought a Metabo miter saw so I could do this properly. Took a few hours but the thing is solid as a rock and level. I followed the king of DIY's stand plans to make it. Going to let the glue dry, then sand and stain it today after work.

jwcarlson
05-31-2023, 10:52 PM
Looking good, Josh! And the fish look beautiful as well.

GalaxyKoiBoi
05-31-2023, 11:33 PM

Sanded and stained the frame tonight. I used a combo stain/poly to add some water proof qualities to the frame. I will skin it with paneling and Liquid Nails in the future, for now it just needs to hold the 150 since my Eureka breeder gets here tomorrow.

I have 2 44 gallon drums of water aging with heaters right now. I have friends and family coming over tomorrow to help me move the 150 onto the stand. Getting close!

GalaxyKoiBoi
05-31-2023, 11:34 PM
Thanks Jacob! Lots of work but it feels great to be getting close after not having fish for 6+ months!

AquaticNerd
06-01-2023, 08:44 AM
Great job on the stand Josh. Are you planning on placing the tank directly on the wood top? Whenever I've placed tanks on stands like that I try and find a thin yoga mat or foam of some sort to soften the wood if it comes in direct contact with it. If the tank has the plastic border around the edges, I don't bother. :D

I grabbed myself a Metabo/HPT sliding compound saw when it was on a deal at a local Lowes. Retail was about $400, on sale for like $250, and rung up at the register for $189! :o

It's been great for my needs - I usually don't need to cut anything larger than a 2x6 (mainly working on trim/base shoe) and it's been awesome.

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Thanks Jake! It's an Aqueon rimmed tank. I called them before building the stand and they said to NOT put a pad down as the plastic rim is meant to absorb the weight of the tank, so it is going directly on the wood.

I actually got my saw on Amazon for about $120! It's the 10 inch basic one and works great for my needs. I will only ever cut up to 2x6s with it as well. Sounds like you got a great deal on yours too.

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-02-2023, 12:32 AM

I finally have the tank set up. It took 4 grown men to get it onto the stand, but we did it. There was a moment of panic when my wife decided to switch walls where the tank would reside from a perfectly level spot to a place where the floor was not level, but a couple of shims ensured the stand was level after all. I will check back in a couple days after it has had time to settle to see if any additional shims are needed.

There are a few things that need fixed still. I didn't have time to rinse the sand before placing it in the tank, so a large water change will need to take place soon to clear up the sediment if the filter does not get it. Speaking of, the FX6 I have on this is loud as hell. I suspect there is some trapped air/sand in it making it noisy, so that will need to be cleared out soon as well. Lastly, I crushed a corner of the 3D background trying to get the filter intake clip over the rim of the tank - stupid, stupid mistake. I glued the crushed piece back together with some aquarium silicone and left the water line a little low so it could dry, but I suspect it will need to be sanded back and touched up with some Pond Shield soon to ensure everything is properly sealed in. Ugh. This hobby gives me so many headaches at times!

Let this be a lesson, don't try to rush everything last minute when setting up a tank! Going to bed now, but my Eureka breeder male is in there and doing fine. He has 135+ gallons of aged water treated with prime and stability to swim in, and I will be keeping a close eye on the levels the next few days to make sure he is doing well!

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-04-2023, 07:21 PM

Made some good progress on the tank. The water is clearing up but remains somewhat cloudy from the unwashed sand, so I have 90 gallons of water aging now to do a large WC. Hopefully that clears things up. I have a sheet of polycarbonate on order to make a third lid that will work with the side placement of the filter intake and output. I also have a Pond Shield touch up kit on order to fix the corner I broke while installing the filter intake (that's why it isn't completely full).

My Eureka is doing well. Still getting used to me and he is picky about the food I have on hand, so I will have to try a different african cichlid food to see if he likes something else. The palms will need their own lights too, but they help pull the room together.

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-21-2023, 12:40 PM

Little bit of an update. My Eureka male has settled in. He no longer hides when I come into the room, and will actively eat in front of me when I feed the tank. He had to go in a 44 gallon bin with an airstone and heater for a few days while I fixed the cracked corner of the 3D background with a coat of epoxy, but he is back in the big tank and doing well. I bought 20 java ferns to add a pop of color and help with nitrates, but they are floating around now until I find some granite rip rap that matches the color of the background to attach them to.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the sciaenochromis paradise. My source sold them months ago without telling me, and it was only through physically traveling there that I was able to get my deposit back. Huge bummer and a bridge well burned, but I have been able to source a similar strain from Aquahaus Gaus in Germany. I've ordered a harem of females for my guy - they will be here next month. While they don't have the purple/pink/orange coloring I was going for, they do have a platinum/gold/electric blue coloring that I think will mix well with my Eureka and hopefully make some stunning hybrids!

LizStreithorst
06-21-2023, 01:40 PM
That sure is a pretty fish. I bet that tank will be beautiful when it's all done and the fish are in. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-22-2023, 02:26 PM
Thanks Liz! He really is pretty. I chose Eurekas for my breeding project as they are generally more peaceful than most African cichlids and don't get quite as large as other peacocks. They also have longer fins with the white/platinum edges, a trait I want to incorporate in my hybrids.

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-22-2023, 11:52 PM

I have 6 females from these 2 strains on order. The first is a sulphurhead lithobates, line bred to have orange/pink blazes and deep blue bodies. These are coming from a domestic breeder. The second is sciaenochromis ahli multicolor, another hybrid bred to have platinumum/gold blazes with electric blue bodies. These are coming from Germany vis Beantown Aquatics (who i highly recommend if you want German quality african cichlids). While not the same species, they are very similar haps that each have traits I am looking for in my hybrids - sleek bodies with bright colored blazes to go with the long fins and peaceful nature of the Eureka. I fully anticipate the first generation (and second most likely) to be a hodge podge of fish, but I'll select the top 1% of fish who have all the traits I'm going for to make up the breeders for the next-generation, and so on.

Since the sciaenochromis paradise are no longer available to me I will make my own! :mad:

bluelagoon
06-23-2023, 06:37 AM
I know it costs a lot to ship from Canada to the States but can be done. Here is a list from a suppler that I've bought many species of fish from over the years. Sometime he even has wild or F1 Malawi cichlids. He has wild brown discus on his list right now.
http://cichlaholic.com/lists.html

GalaxyKoiBoi
06-23-2023, 11:38 AM
Appreciate the tip! I've looked into getting fish from Canada like you said as there is a breeder in Toronto who has the exact strain I'm chasing, but unfortunately it's prohibitively expensive and you have to jump through all the red tape of importing from any other country. Maybe a few years down the line when I have a basement fish room and more disposable income I will get my importer license, but that's not a reality for me right now. Thanks though!

LizStreithorst
06-23-2023, 05:19 PM
Perhaps they use a trans shipper. It can't hurt to ask.

GalaxyKoiBoi
07-05-2023, 11:09 PM
Doing a bit of a pivot on my breeding project. I've spent quite a lot of time talking with seasoned african cichlid breeders the past few weeks, and all of them have told me to not go forward with my plan as is. I won't disparage any specific source or breeder, but I will need to find a different male for this project. I still have my ladies coming in (just the sciaenochromis now, had to leave town on a business trip the other week and cancelled the lithobates order so they didn't die on my front porch while I was out of town).

I'm in talks with several people to source some very rare fish for a breeder male for this project. Will update as that time gets closer.

Since I'm so limited on space, I will need to re-home my Eureka male in the coming weeks to make room for the future breeder coming in next month. I'll try local groups as he's such a stunning fish and want to make sure he goes to a really good home. I would keep him as a pet if I had more tanks, but I have one show tank and one breeding tank (which I still need to find a place for!) so he will need to find a new home. More updates when I have good news!

GalaxyKoiBoi
07-05-2023, 11:14 PM

And just for fun, here is a night shot of my tank with the actinic LEDs on and some rock work I placed in there.

GalaxyKoiBoi
07-25-2023, 05:16 PM

The ladies are here! I have 8 sciaenochromis multicolor females from Germany all in the tank. These are showing a LOT of color for haplochromis females, which means their babies are going to be gorgeous. Picked these girls up from Southwest Cargo at the airport today and they are already settling in nicely.

The males will be here tomorrow. They are from an EXTREMELY rare strain of sciaenochromis developed here in the states, and I am beyond excited to work with them. I will post tomorrow after they've settled in the tank.

LizStreithorst
07-25-2023, 07:01 PM
Sounds like you'll have it going on soon enough. I'm looking forward to seeing the gentlemen.

GalaxyKoiBoi
07-26-2023, 09:01 AM

They are here! I was able to secure 2 Sciaenochromis Goldfrapp males from Cichlid Lovers in Tucson AZ. This strain is line bred from German Icebergs to get the gold/yellow blaze on the tip of the body (regular Icebergs are all white). As you can see I have 2 varieties. The brighter blue one with longer fins is your more classic Iceberg pattern, except that as he grows that blaze will move halfway down his body and get deeper yellow. The other variety is what I'm going for, as the gold will grow from his blaze and belly while his body will get deeper platinum and purple as he ages. I will let them develop and grow more before choosing the breeder, but for now I am leaning towards the purple guy. As you can see they are smaller than the females, and at about 2.5" they are already showing an insane amount of color.

These pictures are roughly what each male will look like as they mature. Beyond excited to work with these fish! Now I need to get my 75 gallon breeding tank up and running!

GalaxyKoiBoi
08-08-2023, 02:35 PM

Some updated pics of the boys as they have settled in. Lots of promise with these two.