PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Mexican

LizStreithorst
05-08-2023, 10:19 AM
This will be the next recipe I'll make. I could taste it by reading the recipe.

http://www.recipetineats.com/mexican-chipotle-pork-beans/

brewmaster15
05-08-2023, 10:42 AM
That looks might tasty Liz. How spicy will you make it? I'm partial to foods with a bit of a kick.

Al

LizStreithorst
05-08-2023, 11:09 AM
The chipotles in adobo are a little spicy hot, but I think I'll throw in at least one minced jalapeno with seeds.

jeep
05-08-2023, 11:10 AM
Looks good. I may try that one!!

CliffsDiscus
05-08-2023, 12:43 PM
Yummie, looks delicious and Happy Cinco De Mayo

Second Hand Pat
05-10-2023, 06:12 AM
Oh man, that looks yummy :D
Pat

AquaticNerd
05-10-2023, 07:57 AM
We're a huge fan of Mexican dishes. I've got some skirt steak marinating in the fridge right now to be turned into carne asada burritos/tacos tonight for dinner! :)

LizStreithorst
05-15-2023, 07:09 PM
Has anyone here made this yet? I finally did today. I wanted the flavor to meld overnight because a stew or slow cooked roast is better once the flavors have a chance to get comfy-cozy together. I gave the liquid a good taste, though, OMG, how excellent! Tomorrow I'll make the guacamole and some good Mexican rice to go with it. I can't wait.

brewmaster15
05-17-2023, 12:12 PM
Liz how was this?:)

LizStreithorst
05-17-2023, 12:54 PM
Superb. Exactly what my mind's taste buts told me how it would taste. Next time I will use a little less orange juice.

AquaticNerd
05-17-2023, 04:58 PM
Orange is a classic ingredient for carnitas which it looks like this recipe is based off of. I might give it a shot soon as carintas are one of my favorite dishes.

discuspaul
05-18-2023, 09:36 AM
I love Mexican too - one of my favorites is 'chicken enchiladas' (made with chipotle in adobo) - but the recipe below for Jumbo Shrimp Tacos is the one my wife and I love best - it's my own developed recipe that is based on a shrimp taco recipe I first enjoyed at a restaurant in Cabo San Lucas - the Baja - give it a try - if you like tacos, I think you'll love this one:

Simple, but 'Scrumptious' Jumbo Shrimp Tacos
(Recipe to make 2 tacos each for 2 persons:)

Ingredients:
- 4 - 8" soft flour tortillas
- 8- 10 Jumbo shrimps (i.e. prawns - 16-20 to the lb. size)- each sliced into 2 or 3 smallish bite-sized pieces

- Accompanying ingredients to toss over the fried shrimp pieces for finishing the tacos: (After sauteeing the shrimp pieces in melted butter for 2-3 minutes to cook them through & lightly brown them, just before you're ready to finish assembling the tacos).
Combine:
- Approx. 1 & 1/2 cups or so of finely shredded red or green cabbage
- 2 -4 finely slivered (julienne cut) green onions (green parts only)
- 1/4 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (seeds & inside ribs removed)
- Juice of 1/2 lime mixed through the above greens

Sauce to spoon and partially spread over the lightly browned & heated tortillas before adding the fried shrimps; & also later drizzled over the combined greens placed on top of the shrimps to finish the tacos:
Combine:

- 2 tbspns of both sour cream and mayo,
- 1 heaping tbspn of store-bought seafood sauce, (or more, to your liking)
- Juice of the other 1/2 of the lime,
- Dash of sugar
- Optional: several dashes of your favorite hot sauce, or 1/2 tspn finely dice jalapeno pepper (again - no seeds or ribs) for those who like more heat !

To sum up for clarity:
- Prepare the greens mixture ahead
- Also prepare the sauce ahead
- Fry the shrimps pieces in butter to cook & lightly brown,
- Separately warm & lightly brown the tortillas
- Spread some sauce on each warmed tortilla, over which you then add 6 or so pieces of the cooked shrimps to each tortilla
- Add a moderate handful of the mixed greens over the layered shrimp pieces on each taco, and drizzle more sauce over the greens
- Fold the tacos & enjoy !

Suggestion:
If you wish you could sprinkle a bit of this ' dry rub' mixture over the shrimp pieces before frying:
- 1/4 tspn each of dry powdered cumin, cayenne, celery salt, paprika, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper, and, if you have it, ancho chile powder

I sometimes mix together a spicy sauce to mix into the pan fried shrimps, instead of the rub described above - like so:

-1 Heaping tsp. of catsup
- 1 tsp. of your favorite BBQ usuce (we like Diana's, but that may be only sold in Canada)
- 1 tsp of sriracha sauce
-( a bit of chipotle in adobo sauce would add a bit more "nip" to this sauce !)

LizStreithorst
05-18-2023, 10:29 AM
That sounds very tasty, Chef. But I'd like to see the chicken enchilada recipe more. I buy a lot of chicken thighs and legs. 8 bucks for 10 lbs. You cant beat that! I simmer the leg quarters with aromatics and pull the meat off them and use the liquid for broth. I'm always looking for good chicken recipes. The leg quarters give up most of their flavor to the broth. The meat itself doesn't have much flavor so I always need a flavorful sauce.

discuspaul
05-18-2023, 11:13 AM
ok Liz, but I haven't actually written this recipe down yet -so it's not sitting in my Documents library waiting to be copied and pasted here as I usually do - the recipe is simply in my head because I've made it a hundred times, and know it by heart.

I'll write it up soon and paste it here when I'm done.

LizStreithorst
05-18-2023, 11:50 AM
Thank you, Chef.

dagray
05-18-2023, 12:02 PM
looks great. Would be wonderful with my smoked pork butt. I use a wood burning smoker and not propane or pellets. Wood from fruit trees adds a nice flavor to the meat.

discuspaul
05-18-2023, 02:07 PM
Here's the chicken enchilada recipe for you Liz

PAUL'S CHICKEN ENCHILADA RECIPE

(NOTES:
- This recipe is for 3-4 enchiladas per person for 2 people -i.e. 6-8 enchiladas)

(- If you wish to make your own authentic mexican enchilada sauce, the recipe will be found in either one of these 2 websites:

- mexicanfoodjournal.com/red-enchilada-sauce

- daringgourmet.com/enchilada-sauce-mexican-red-chile-sauce

These recipes are fairly lengthy & time-consuming, using some chiles which may be hard to find, so, an authentic, but simple/easy store-bought source for the sauce is incorporated in my recipe below.

You'll need:

- Package of (8-12) - 6" (small) soft flour tortillas - any brand--

1 -6-7 oz.can (approx. 200 ml) of red enchilada sauce- to be found in any supermarket 'mexican foods' section (get 'medium' heat if available - otherwise 'mild' will suffice - (I use 'Casa Fiesta', but any brand will do)

- 1 small can of any brand of chipotle adobe chiles (you'll just need a couple of tsps. of only the sauce for this recipe, without any pieces of the chiles itself, unless you wish to use some The residual chipotle may be stored in a covered jar in the fridge - where it will last for up to 2-3 weeks or more without spoilage, to be used again for this or any other usages )

- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of grated soft, mild, well-melting cheese of your choice. I generally use Monterey Jack

- 1 - 500 ml tub of 14% sour cream (approx. 16.5 oz.)

- Approx. 1.5 cups of roasted chicken cut into smallish bite-size pieces - I generally use a store-bought roasted half, or whole chicken - breast meat without skin - but you may also use bite-sized roasted thigh pieces, or similar sized pieces of pulled leg meat - or any combination thereof - your choice.

- Optional: 2-3 green onions cut into 1/2 inch pieces for sprinkling over the sour cream when the enchiladas are finished.

Prep work and baking:-

You'll need an oven proof dish of sufficient size, and approx. 3" high, to easily accommodate the 6-8 rolled up tortillas. Lightly butter the bottom of the dish to prevent the tortillas sticking.

- Place the contents of the can of enchilada sauce in a suitably-sized bowl and add 2 or so tspns. of the chipotle adobe sauce to this and mix it in well.

- Place the bite-size chicken pieces in a suitable bowl to which you then add - 2-3, or more, tbspns. of the mixed enchilada sauce - then mix to coat the chicken pieces well with the sauce.

- Working with the tortillas one at a time, add sufficient chicken pieces to fill, and roll each one up to about large cigar size width. Place the rolled up tortillas in a row in the oven proof dish, leaving a small open space between each completed enchilada.

- Spoon almost all of the rest of the reserved enchilada sauce over the tortillas to more or less cover them, as well as the small gaps between each one. The small residue of sauce left over is to be drizzled over all the grated cheese once it has been sprinkled well over all the enchiladas.

- Place in 350 degree pre-heated oven and bake for 25-35 minutes until cheese is fully melted & browning, and the sauce is bubbling.

- Dish up the baked enchiladas, and add large dollops of sour cream overtop along each enchilada, followed by sprinkling over with pieces of the cut up green onion if used.

Enjoy !

LizStreithorst
05-20-2023, 08:36 AM
Dave a smoker is on my wish list...It has been for several years, unfortunately. I like the one that's shaped like a upside down bomb.

dagray
05-20-2023, 10:49 AM
Dave a smoker is on my wish list...It has been for several years, unfortunately. I like the one that's shaped like a upside down bomb.

I have the Oklahoma Joe reverse flow Longhorn offset smoker. I buy trimmings from the orchards (apple, cherry, apricot) to burn in it.
I can build a fire in both the cook chamber for grilling and in the fire box for smoking.

Using wood from fruit trees gives a sweet flavor without having to add sugar to the rub.

LizStreithorst
05-24-2023, 12:35 PM
I'll be making your enchiladas today, Chef.

discuspaul
05-25-2023, 08:49 AM
I'll be making your enchiladas today, Chef.

Great - Don't know how much heat you like, but let us know how much, or how little, chipotle you feel should be added to your enchilada sauce to have it turn out the way you like it.

LizStreithorst
05-25-2023, 09:06 AM
Chef, something else came up yesterday and I ran out of time to make it. I'll make it today, for sure. Remember Chef, I lived in a rural town in Mexico for over 4 years. I'm really into the heat. As far as Mexican food, if it doesn't bite back when I bite in, it isn't good. I'll let you know. But my taste is mine alone.

discuspaul
05-25-2023, 09:17 AM
Chef, something else came up yesterday and I ran out of time to make it. I'll make it today, for sure. Remember Chef, I lived in a rural town in Mexico for over 4 years. I'm really into the heat. As far as Mexican food, if it doesn't bite back when I bite in, it isn't good. I'll let you know. But my taste is mine alone.

I like enchiladas to have a good healthy bite to them too -

However - some people, like my brother and his wife, can't stand much heat, but like the chicken emchiladas, so they make them solely wth the mild canned enchilada sauce - no chipotles !

LizStreithorst
05-28-2023, 12:29 PM
Please don't be disappointed in me Chef. The day I planned to make them something more important came up again! I got disgusted and put the chicken in the freezer. Besides, the 2 supermarkets I visited didn't have plain corn tortillas. What's up with that??!!

Instead I pulled a Char Siu pork loin out of the freezer and had it over rice with broccoli fleurettes. It was delicious and filled me up after a hard day cleaning. I promise that I will make your enchiladas. I will be certain that I have the right tortillas and there is no possibility of nothing unexpected happens that day.

I don't see why these wouldn't freeze well. Would they?

discuspaul
05-29-2023, 08:20 AM
Please don't be disappointed in me Chef. The day I planned to make them something more important came up again! I got disgusted and put the chicken in the freezer. Besides, the 2 supermarkets I visited didn't have plain corn tortillas. What's up with that??!!

Instead I pulled a Char Siu pork loin out of the freezer and had it over rice with broccoli fleurettes. It was delicious and filled me up after a hard day cleaning. I promise that I will make your enchiladas. I will be certain that I have the right tortillas and there is no possibility of nothing unexpected happens that day.

I don't see why these wouldn't freeze well. Would they?

No problem, Liz

Be sure to get soft FLOUR tortillas, as per my recipe, not Corn Tortillas, which I find hard to work with for making these enchiladas - if corn tortillas are not properly pre- softened, they will likely crack open & even fall apart when trying to roll them up for baking.

And yes, the tortillas themselves, once rolled up with the lightly sauced up chicken pieces inside, will freeze nicely - but freeze the bulk of the enchilada sauce separately - and then finish the enchiladas per the recipe, once thawed.

LizStreithorst
05-29-2023, 08:30 AM
My mistake, Chef. I blame all my small mistakes on being old ;)

mleibowi
05-30-2023, 07:57 PM
Liz- my wife is mexican, so I guess I am :grin: In all seriousness, yes, I'm a mexican food snob now that I have the real deal at home and in Mexico. My wife is a great cook and can pass along recipes. Her puerco pibil is amazing.

LizStreithorst
05-31-2023, 10:29 AM
Where in Mexico is your wife from mleibowi? I lived in Cholula de Puebla. It was a very small town about 10 miles from the city of Puebla. The food there was fiery hot. Being that I was from New Jersey I wasn't used to any kind of picante hot. I never could get 100% comfortable with that amount of heat but since I didn't want to starve I learned to like it. I would love her recipe for puerco pibil.

LizStreithorst
05-31-2023, 11:06 AM
Holy Moly, I just googled puerco pibil and this is the recipe I have been searching for. In choula there was a nice "upscale" for the area, bar/restaurant where they served something called barbacoa. This is exactly what it sounds like. Is this how your wife makes it? I would sure like to compare the recipes. The only grill I have is a little Smoky Joe. I can't afford anything better at the moment. I think it might work but I'm not sure how I would regulate the temperature. I might be able to get by with one of my instant read thermometers if I can find a way to keep the plastic that they use to keep the probe in from melting. https://www.seriouseats.com/cochinita-pibil-yucatan-barbecue-mexican-smoked-pork-recipe

mleibowi
05-31-2023, 11:37 AM
Liz- my wife is from Monterrey. I found the further south, the chilis they use are different and more of tvr even hotter habeņeros. She doesn’t make it as spicey for my gringo pallet and my kids. I can ask her for her recipe and she is more of add this and that without exact measurements unless she’s baking.

LizStreithorst
05-31-2023, 12:07 PM
I'd like to see even if she doesn't measure. I'm not a good a cook as she is and measurements are helpful, especially the first time I'm making a recipe. If she could say a large pinch of a small pinch, a large handful or a the amount that fits in your palm it would be a good help. Tell her that I thank her in advance. I wish I could have her help me in advance but it very unlikely that y'all live anywhere close to me.

LizStreithorst
06-25-2023, 12:04 PM
Everything in the little town where I lived was spice enough to knock you flat, I had no choice but the get used to it if I weren't to starve to death. But the puerco pibil was close to tolerable. The tortillas served with it helped.

Could you at least let me know if she made it in a pit in the ground, a smoker, or the oven. Of the two things on my wish list are a used wine cooler for raising white worms and a smoker. I saw this thing on Ebay. I know that everyone uses something fancy, but would this do the job? I'm 72 years old so it doesn't have to last forever.

LizStreithorst
06-25-2023, 12:10 PM
I finally found a recipe for Mexican rice that was the exact same thing as I had when I lived in Cholula de Puebla. Everything that I put in it with the exception of the rice and oil came from my own little garden. I swear, I could taste the freshness.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups MahatmaŽ Rice Extra Long Grain White Rice
3 tbsp canola, vegetable, or corn oil
1/4 onion diced
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tbsp Knorr chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 roma tomatoes (makes 8 oz tomato juice)
2 cups hot water
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
3 sprigs cilantro
1 jalapeno
INSTRUCTIONS

Over medium heat, add the oil to a heavy-bottomed or good quality non-stick pan, then fry the onions and garlic

When the onions and garlic have lightly browned, remove the garlic and set it aside.

Add MahatmaŽ Rice Extra Long Grain White Rice to the pot and toast the rice in the oil, moving it constantly for about 5 minutes or until it becomes slightly puffy and golden brown.

Add the Knorr chicken bouillon and garlic powder, the mix and continue toasting for another minute.

Blend together the roma tomatoes and fried garlic clove. You should have about 8 oz (1 cup) of tomato sauce.

Add it to the rice, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. The color should change to warm reddish orange color. At this point, watch the heat to make sure the bottom is not burning. Adjust the heat if you need to.

Add the HOT water to the rice. It has to be hot- if the liquid isn't bubbling on the sides of the pot, your water is not hot enough. Stir in salt to taste at this point if you're adding. I recommend about 1/4 tsp.

Add the cilantro and jalapeno on top, continue boiling over medium-low heat until some of the water has evaporated. Then turn the heat to the lowest setting and cover for 20 minutes. Do NOT lift the lid!

After 20 minutes, turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork. There will be a thin layer of tomato sauce at the top- that is what we want. Just gently fluff & mix it into the rice to distribute evenly.

At this point, the rice is ready if you don't like overly soft rice. This is good for me, but if you want it more soft & fluffy, cover for another 10 minutes (no heat).

brewmaster15
06-29-2023, 07:35 PM
Liz that sounds delish! Im going to have to give it a try. Thanks!

Al