PDA

View Full Version : feeding fdbws

brady
05-19-2023, 07:39 PM
I feed fdbw by "pasting" them on the front glass ,2 pieces of the cube maybe a foot apart so that every one gets a chance at them . The problem is , that the
fish, 2 in particular, rip the chunk off , it floats to the top and maybe they go after it, sometimes they don't. Then they go after the other one but by this time it's mostly gone so no problem.
Question, is there anyway to prevent this?
Jay

brewmaster15
05-19-2023, 08:40 PM
I feed fdbw by "pasting" them on the front glass ,2 pieces of the cube maybe a foot apart so that every one gets a chance at them . The problem is , that the
fish, 2 in particular, rip the chunk off , it floats to the top and maybe they go after it, sometimes they don't. Then they go after the other one but by this time it's mostly gone so no problem.
Question, is there anyway to prevent this?
Jay

Jay obviously you need to teach them manners when eating. Mine are trained to take a bite and pass the cube to the next in line. . :)

Since you have a couple of pigs though maybe try cutting the cubes into additional pieces with a razor... 2 cubes to 4 cubes. The smaller cubes will stick better.
You can also try taking the cube and submerging it hold it in the water a minute or so then press to glass. The extra time wet will allow it to smush a bit better.

Lastly.. switch to looseand drop into the filter out flow.

Hth,al

Iminit
05-19-2023, 11:59 PM
I cut the cube in half then feed by hand. This way I can make sure all get fed.

wuvarien
05-20-2023, 04:23 AM
I cut the cube in half then feed by hand. This way I can make sure all get fed.

I tried this once... Then I found out how sharp their dorsal fin spikes are

brewmaster15
05-20-2023, 09:05 AM
I tried this once... Then I found out how sharp their dorsal fin spikes are

Ouch! They must have really wanted those cubes Matt!

Generally hand feeding is pretty safe..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xQrjBo2ahU

SidJones
05-20-2023, 11:13 AM
Those are some pretty fish, Al.

brewmaster15
05-20-2023, 03:05 PM
Those are some pretty fish, Al.
Thanks Robert!... all homebred:)

LizStreithorst
05-20-2023, 04:17 PM
I bet you know the one that I wish were mine.